Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Camping Equipment

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I like the way this thread has developed. It's starting to show the wide range of approaches people take when deciding to go beyond the obvious in outdoors clothing/kit (base, mid, shell, etc.) and finding other ways to suit their own needs and purposes.

Taking this thought one step further, this variety of experience in the present must reflect the richness of past experience. Surely, people did their own thing in myriad ways in the past, too. I doubt whether people simply dressed '20s' in the 1920s and '30s' in the 1930s, for example, although style books from those periods would have us buy into that ideal view.

Some of the photographs posted in the historical hillwalking thread illustrate how outdoors people choose clothing that's stylish, sporting, rogueish or practical, but not necessarily representative of contemporaneous style.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Unclogging the stove or lantern - take the clogged parts and soak in vinegar for a bit, that should do the trick. If you need specific Coleman help, try this guy, http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/ anything and everything you need to know about Coleman stoves. For less expensive, modern woolens, try LL Bean in the hunting section. Less expensive than Filson and generally a bit better than Woolrich.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I have a gas powed iron it is very much like a coleman stove or lantern.
I use it for display only but a camping outfitter store up the road has a few and I think he tried them out.

for the dapper camper who is in good style I guess it must have been the thing to have.

shortbow

Practically Family
Hey, just as an addendum on the moccasins in slippery conditions thing, I remembered:

Canada's late canoing guru, Bill Mason, wrote a book called Path of the Paddle, in which he relates that his long-time footwear of choice was moccasins. He favoured native-made moose hide high tops. For inclement weather, he used what he called "moccasin rubbers" which are just the old style stretchy dress shoe-type rubbers that come about half way up the shoe.

And, as to the discussion re. carrying weights thus attired, he routinely made long portages with a huge pack AND a wet cedar-canvas canoe.

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
The entire range:

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

"Avid outdoorsman, Bill Gustin purchased the W.C. Russell Moccasin Company in 1928 and directed its fortunes for 55 of its 108 years. During his tenure, Gustin designed and introduced the famous Russell Birdshooter and a host of oxfords, loafers and casual shoes, many of which are still made today. "

Brinybay

Practically Family
I found this a while back on eBay, I wonder if it was intended for camping? Currently I just set my aerosol shave cream can in it, but I'm looking for a vintage mug and a brush to use. It's plastic except for the mirror and metal hinge.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
Ford, Edison, Harvey Firestone, and... I'm drawing a blank on the famous naturalist that used to camp with them. Or was he a horticulturalist? Ford had some interesting friends.

-Dave

John Burroughs was the naturalist. Also, apparently President Harding once went along.

-Dave

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Just a couple notes -

The tent maker listed earlier is actually Panther Primitives, I believe. (And everyone I know with one of their products is very pleased.)

And a word on cast iron. If you get the new stuff, like Lodge, it is cast in a much courser sand than antique or vintage cast iron. We had a lot of problems with the seasoning cracking out due to this. If you have the same problem don't despair. We ground ours down to a more smooth finish and they are beautiful now. Cook superbly.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Uniform Brand Camping Equipment 1933

Here's the link to the high-resolution images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/texasgirl_333/sets/72157617000151879/

coverandback.jpg

intropg1.jpg

pg2-3.jpg

pg4-5.jpg

pg10-11.jpg

pg14-15.jpg

pg16-17.jpg

pg24-25.jpg

pg26-27.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Uniform Brand - good stuff!

They were making camping and walking equipment (and leather 'bike jackets) well after the war. I cut my camping teeth on their stuff!

I have one of their 1940s anoraks (they were 'recommended wear' for Boy Scouts in the UK) and a 1950s leather jacket. I'm planning to make some copies of the anorak.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
mwelch8404 said:
The entire range:

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/

"Avid outdoorsman, Bill Gustin purchased the W.C. Russell Moccasin Company in 1928 and directed its fortunes for 55 of its 108 years. During his tenure, Gustin designed and introduced the famous Russell Birdshooter and a host of oxfords, loafers and casual shoes, many of which are still made today. "

Oh, thank you for that link! We have so many hides--my father goes to Africa every summer--and I have been wanting to have some of them made into wearable stuff, so this is very helpful.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Woodcraft by Nessmuk

I cannot offer a good source of vendors for vintage camping supplies, but I can offer an excellent book on the topic: Woodcraft by Nessmuk. Nessmuk was a quintessential outdoorsman in the early 20th century. This book provides ample detail on early 20th century camping skills and his recommendations on equipment.

John

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Brendon Chase

Texas Girl,
Uniform Brand Camping Equipment 1933, wow, thanks for sharing.

Brendon Chase
Not really a book on how to or what gear but a great book with a vintage camping theme is

"Brendon Chase" by BB

It is a childrens book really but I have to read it every year as it is such a great book and so well written. See what you think as it seemed to fit this thread.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Today, A Continuous Lean mentions Beckel Canvas, a Portland, Oregon maker and seller of good-looking canvas products, notably tents and bags.

My favourite's the Explorer tent, the roof of which is made from heavy army duck, with the ends made of Polytex.

This is updated vintage camping. Stylish and practical.

I have the Beckel bed roll, pretty happy with it

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I've been looking at the Beckel Whelen (lean-to) tent in canvas. Seems a really practical tent for one person; especially for one on a motorsickle.

I've camped with my French shelter halves at the Great War reenactment in November and set up as a lean-to. With a small fire right in front that type of tent is really nice.

Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner