Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Accoutrements

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Re. the vintage styled radio question.

OK, I'm in UK, but I was not able to find a suitably-styled FM radio for my SAAB, and was not keen to say the least on the prospect of mounting out-of-period equipment. My solution involved obtaining the smallest amp possible, and mounting it behind the dash where it was out of sight. It was wired to be permanently on with the accessory position of the ignition switch. The input to this was from an iPod (other MP3 players are available ;) ) in the glovebox, with the input wire wriggled past the joint on the glovebox liner to avoid cutting. Wires for the four speakers were run to the A-pillars and either into the door cavities via the hinges, or down under the carpet to the rear shelf. Using mounting frames glued with Sikaflex to the doorcards / parcel shelf, speakers were fitted invisibly behind the trim. I tried to run them like that, but the sound was very muffled, so out came the hobby drill, and small holes made in th ebacking panels, so as not to disturb the trim panels. This allowed the sound out, and voila, totally inviible music.

My current car, however, has no glovebox, so a suitable period transistor radio (Ogle design - my favourite design house) was hollowed out. I have rigged up the transistor case with a Griffin iClick RF remote, and a tiny amp/speaker which I will be able to switch in via the radio's original switch when I find a suitable replacement. This radio can now hang from the dash / sit on the passenger seat and provide period sound with only the tiny connector wire to give the game away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats