Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage car observation.

shamus

Suspended
jamespowers said:
and a thorough check of the no good lousy smog system to determine what made it do that twice now.

J

Since you're in CA and it's a 73.. why do you have the smog hooked up? No smog tests on pre 74's....

My 70 bronco never came with it, but post years did but you don't need them if you don't need the smog tests...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Seriously. My '74 Datsun 260Z passed smog three years ago, then they rolled over the exemption year...haven't had to touch it since. I could rip out the smog pump, put on ealier carbs, block off the EGR and actually get BETTER mileage than I've been getting! Just need to find the time and gumption to do it, I've got all of the parts.

KR

Familiar Face
Finally Arrived

My '36 Ford finally arrived!

WebKennedysCar.jpg

Drives great too! Gets a lot of looks from people on the streets as well as other motorists.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, you know that I'm a Plymouth man but....

Nice car friend! 36 was a good year for Fords! That makes the second owner of a 36 on the Lounge I believe.

Say, when you want to get together, drive it up to Pasadena and we'll hit the vintage shops in style.

WR.

Wild Root

Gone Home
FOUR DOORS BAD????? What is that supposed to mean?

Four doors are cool because the suicides. Four doors bad, HA! What ever.

I have a friend with a four door 36, that car is so classic because of them.

Four doors rule.

WR.

KR

Familiar Face
Thanks Dan.

I can sure see why they were called suicide doors after I almost fell out of my car and it only has the two! I can only imagine what four doors would be like.

Section10

One of the Regulars
Over the years I've had a lot of old cars & trucks including:
A few Model A Fords
34 Ford truck
38 Ford truck
41 Plymouth Special Deluxe W/ suicide doors (a great car - I drove it all the time)
36 Chevy high cab pickup
47 Kaiser
49 Studebaker Champion coupe (lots of fun)
48 & 49 Chevy trucks
53 Nash
53 Hudson (unbelievably smooth driver)
51 Chevy sedan
6 Willys Jeeps From 51 to 62 (3 wagons, 2 pickups & 1 FC stake) A 59 wagon was my daily driver until a few years ago and I sold the last pickup (55) in June.
And several others of lesser note as well.
Where I live now I just don't have the room anymore for extra cars, but I still love em.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a fondness for old delivery vans? Specifically of the dairy (Calder's or Twin Pines here in Detroit, Oberweiss in Chicago), Krispy Kreme, Hershey's Ice Cream, and Good Humor varieties?

L_H

Wild Root

Gone Home
Section10 said:
41 Plymouth Special Deluxe W/ suicide doors (a great car - I drove it all the time)

That's what I like to hear!;) Go Plymouth!;)

KR said:
I can sure see why they were called suicide doors after I almost fell out of my car and it only has the two!

Well, hate to tell ya friend but, you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have suicide doors on your 36. Suicide doors open the opposite way to that of modern cars. On a four door, they are usually the rear doors. Years prior to 1936, Ford did use ?¢‚Ǩ?ìSuicide doors?¢‚Ǩ? on the driver side and passenger side front doors but, that became a problem seeing that they open against the wind wile in motion they would fly off and inflict damage to the car and the cars behind you if it should happen to open wile moving.

=WR=

cneil

Familiar Face
My to Classic Cars

1950 C-48 Chysler Winsor 4 Door Sedan ( This is the model just below Inperal and the Model Town and Country is built on. 21 feet long, 6 feet wide and waighes in at 5,040 LB's Dry Wight. Lots of Detrots finest steel in this one. Power is by the Chysler 297cu.in. Silver Head "High Conpresion" in line 6. 119 hp and 290 lb. torque at 6.5 lb. conpresion.)
Royal blue Mohair seats and Black Hoghair carpet. Gray on the pint.

1958 Jagur MK IX Solon ( This is the BIG CAT , 4 Doors and looks like a Bentley. XK 3.8L inline 6 Goldhead with 2 ZF Sidedraft Carburaters. Drives like a Race car. 290 hp and 380 lb. torque. conpresion is 11 to 1 and there is a rating of 9,ooo rpm's on the engin)
Conaley glove leather seats. Mirroerd Match Birdseye Walnut trin 1" thick Wool carpet. tow picknik tables in the back.
Black paint on out side.

KR

Familiar Face
Yes, I belive that Ford stopped making the forward doors suicide doors when they began production of their '33 models.

My grandmother would tell me stories about when she was a little girl and would take rides on the family car by standing on the running board holding on through the open window. I asked her once why they were called suicide doors and she said because they were easy to fall out of when getting out of the car. Though WR's explanation makes more sense to me!:cool:

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
You would think they could engineer suicide doors in modern cars not to be opened when the car is at speed. Suicide doors make a lot more logical sense as car doors then the "normal" type considering that your legs are what usually comes out of the door first and with "normal" doors the door blocks your exit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Doors opening while in motion? Never happens to me! Well, some times my driver?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s door will open due to bad road conditions and will cause the door to rattle open some what. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s only because the rotor is worn down a little and doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t hold the door shut as tight as it should (A part that I need to order and replace) all the other doors shut great and stay shut! Maybe it was a characteristic of Ford?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s that let them open wile in motion. Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know.

Ford continued to make front suicide doors up to 1934. Passed that, they went to forward hinged doors for the front.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo