Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage cookbooks

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have a 1943 printing of The American Woman's Cookbook. It's a "Victory Binding" and "wartime" edition. The back section includes a section titled "Wartime Cookery", where it has menus for weeks using your rations and advice on how to make your food last, etc. This book is really great; while I will have to edit many of the recipes inside due to food allergy problems, I am looking forward to cooking out of it when I have time.

I have a copy of that same edition. I picked it up at a church yard sale along with this one from 1944 "A Collection of Recipes from Connecticut Kitchens, Equally Adapted for wartime & Peacetime"..compiled by the woman's club of Westport:

connecticut.jpg
[/IMG]

oh, gosh! sorry its so HUGE!!:eeek:

Does anyone have a copy of this ? Looks very intriguing..also from 1944

T2eC16RHJGoE9nuQfSr3BP-2cTjgO60_3.jpg
[/IMG]

GlamourDaze

New in Town
I love the term " victory binding" That's a new one ! All commercial endeavors during the war era were marketed with words like - victory. Magic.
Where did you get the Connecticut book Olive? Just had a quick look on ebay but don't see any copies.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I love the term " victory binding" That's a new one ! All commercial endeavors during the war era were marketed with words like - victory. Magic.
Where did you get the Connecticut book Olive? Just had a quick look on ebay but don't see any copies.

At a church rummage sale, believe it or not! Which was pretty exciting since my husbands family is from Connecticut . I had intended to give it to his brother who still lives there as a Christmas present.. But apparently I couldn't .. Ha ha :p

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Here's my cookbook - the aforementioned "Victory Binding" edition of the Women's Cookbook.

One of my friends found this while looking through old books and sent it to me - so it was completely free - and it is SO COOL.

cookbook_zps81a1f931.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael