Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Daily Wear

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I am obsessed with redheads,lol!

I do like red with navy and never thought of the peach that would be pretty.
The blouse under the sweater would be cute,but a bit hot once the blowdryer is going.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
You ladies are a true inspiration! I wear partial vintage most days, and after reading this thread I feel like a slacker. Just joking, of course, but I am inspired to wear more of my vast collection.

Lizzie

Wild Root

Gone Home
Pardon me ladies, but I have to step in here and just tell you all who dress vintage every day that you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re efforts are appreciated! Some I talk to feel it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hard to dress vintage because it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s such a different look. Being a guy I feel it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not as accepted to look vintage as it is when a lady dresses that way.

As you all know I wear vintage every day. I now work in an antique shop part time and people really love my look. They tell me I look like I belong there! It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s refreshing to most to see a young guy like me who cares about his appearance.

There are lots of girls out here that used to dress vintage to all the dances but not any more. Most of them dropped out of the vintage craze because it was too much hassle. Dry-cleaning bills stacking and things ripping you know the usual story.

To wear vintage on a daily basis for a guy is WAY HARDER! Finding men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s vintage is harder to begin with and one has to have lots of it to give every thing a fare wear to avoid wearing out one item. Helps to prolong the garment?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s life.

I dream of meeting a nice young lady who shares the same passion for style as I have. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s almost impossible! Trust me, I know what I speak. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure I was born way too late in the grand scheme of things *Sigh*.

What ever happens, keep up the good work ladies in dressing like ladies!

Root.

missjo

Practically Family
Simply by wearing vintage all the time last week someone asked me to come into their house to see if they had anything 1930s I might want because they were moving... needless to say I left with arms fulled of nice stuff!
Among them 4 great paintings from the 1930s, portraits by a proper artist.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Being Brave

I must say that I have gained a great deal of courage by reading what all you ladies have written. Jitterbugdoll, your picture is so lovely you seem born to wear vintage. I work two jobs at the moment one in a Silversmiths and the other at a vintage store, so I want to start wearing vintage. I just got my first 40's skirt suit with matching swing coat and a pair of heels and am dying to just go for it and wear it with hair and everything.
I am a bit nervous as I have only ever done the whole vintage thing for parties etc, but I really want to get used to just going out 40's or 50's all the time.
It's so impressive that most of you have gained such reputations, how fantastic to be the "40's girl"..........
Isn't it great that so many of us want to keep the glamour and romance of the whole era alive! :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
You work in a vintage store? How keen! I work at an antique mall and I wear my vintage best some times. It goes over very well! So, you shouldn't have any problem building confidence in your desire to sport vintage to work especially in a vintage shop. You'll be a living example to those who come in how to properly wear the goods! The complements will not end I promise you!

Good luck, we're all behind ya 100%!

WR.

Zelda

New in Town
Gosh, I wish I had the energy wear it every day. Usually I wear partial vintage to work, a 40s jacket and jewelry. I know that irks some of the purists out there, but it is all I can handle scrambling to get to work each morning. Evenings and weekends are another story though. We go to a lot of vintage cocktail and dance events, so I always feel like I will never have enough cocktail or formal dresses (my husband disputes that fact, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it). I don't always have time to do my hair vintage-y, but I try to fake it as best as possible, depending on how much time I have to get ready. If I am rushing home from work and have to be out in an hour or so, I fake it. Unfortunately, unlike most of you gals, I don't sew, so I am at the mercy of Ebay and the repro dealers. The good thing about not wearing vintage to work is that I feel like I have two separate lives.

I find all of you gals incredibly inspiring and interesting. In fact, I walked up to Sav-On at lunch today and bought some of the Lottabody and am trying it tomorrow.

Zelda

hotrod54chevy

New in Town
hope i'm not wrong for postin in here and bein a guy and all! i like vintage stuff and gather as much of it as i can,however i dont normally wear ACTUAL vintage clothes, i mostly just wear stuff from companies that havent changed their designs in 50 years or so..dickies work shirts, blue jeans,etc..cant really wear it at work cuz i work at a hospital cept for casual friday..but i get plenty of comments everywhere else..usually "where'd you just come from?" or " are you guys performing 'grease' nearby..?"
frank

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Frank, I don't think you should worry about posting anywhere on the board. Input is welcomed everywhere and your input is as welcomed as others. :) And, welcome to the board.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, please post what ever you want! Well, within reason any way. But, we do have proper rooms for most topics! So, just read the name of a room and if what you have to say fist within the general theme of the room, post away! We Bartenders are always happy to help the new members out with this. Feel free to browse the rooms and look at old threads. Get to know this place and the history here.

My daily vintage wear is mostly vintage. I shoot (As you all know already) for a late 30's working class male of the age of 27 fighting the grips of the Depression.

=WR=

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Oh I?Ǭ¥d LOVE walking around all vintage all the time. But as much my collection is growing and growing I don?Ǭ¥t have enough matching pieces together yet. In the past days I?Ǭ¥ve been doing my hair though and it wasn?Ǭ¥t that hard to get up a little earlier to get the curlers out of them.

Also I try to start to live in a vintage looking home and I look around on all flea-markest to get together cool stuff. So maybe some day I can walk around all vintage styled the whole day and than come home to my vintage-styled home ;)

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Slowly but surely

It is good to know that there are like-minded ladies out there. I have started to wear vintage clothes year ago, and over time I realy figured out what suits me best and which style I like best, being 40's to early 50's. I now try to wear 24/7 vintage, all occasions.
I still ahve some more collecting to do concerning undergarments and sleepwear as well, but at home I usually just wear aprons over my dresses when cleaning and cooking.

And yes, I do get stares al day long--recently a teenage girl was so confused / dazzed by my outfit that she walked into a pole. But I am not bothered at all, because I am endowed with tons of self-confidence and don't give a hoot about what people think. Including my boss and all other style-challenged folks.

To Retro Model Sari: I recently visited the flea market at the University in K?ɬ?ln, there are absulutely great things sold there for little money. Our home is furbished 50's German style, since we have low ceilings, the 40's furniture just won't look good, and we found lots of stuff there.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am still really new to vintage, but have come to love it quite fast! My collection is growing, and I have lucked out in that I have gotten some great suits, and pencil skirts that I've been wearing daily. I've had the chance to wear vintage gowns on a recent cruise I took, and next weekend my best friend is getting married, and I am wearing a vintage gown. I don't care about the looks, there is just something that makes me feel good, confident, when I'm dressed in vintage. Also, the neighborhood I live in is more on the alternative side, so most of my neighbors are used to seeing people who don't follow the "norm". I do get compliments, which is always nice, and have never had someone say anything negative to me. As for my time at home, nothing beats comfortable jeans. I have a 12 year old dalmatian
who needs to be walked a lot, so I can't be dressed up for that. But, if I know I'm having company, I'll definitely put on a pretty house dress.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, any chance I have, I wear vintage. I'm so glad to hear that most of you do as well. Nothing beats the style!:cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
I have a 12 year old dalmatian
who needs to be walked a lot, so I can't be dressed up for that.

Who? Me??

She dresses vintage more often than I do, but having her dress so makes me more confident to do likewise. I can always point to her!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:

Who? Me??

She dresses vintage more often than I do, but having her dress so makes me more confident to do likewise. I can always point to her!
Thanks Hem, although you usually are laughing when you point at me! Besides you get to wear a suit everyday to work, and you usually accompany it with some sort of vintage tie and/or shoes (you look quite handsome too). You definitely have more of an excuse to dress up. I look pretty silly walking the dog in a mink trimmed suit and spectator heels!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Alpine Glamour said:
To Retro Model Sari: I recently visited the flea market at the University in K?ɬ?ln, there are absulutely great things sold there for little money. Our home is furbished 50's German style, since we have low ceilings, the 40's furniture just won't look good, and we found lots of stuff there.

Thank you for this shopping tip! I?Ǭ¥ll try to find out when they have one next time. I love flea markets and go whenever I have time and money. Actually I got a very pretty 40s lamp in Cologne once and it?Ǭ¥s still working. It became my reading-lamp :)

G

GoldLeaf

This is an old thread, but it came up when I did a search for "camping". I found a couple places where we have discussed boots and pants. But I haven't found a place where we have discussed what a lady would wear camping and hiking.

I am interested because my husband and I do both activities quite a bit. Our hiking is limited to trails, so its not like a need an outfit to rock climb in. However, I would like to figure out some things to wear during our excursions.

Wide leg pants, a cardigan set, and my hiking boots? (no matter what, I am not trading in my very nice, leather waterproof boots for something more authentic, hehehe) Mid-calf full skirt? But if you wore a skirt, then what would you wear on your feet?

What do you ladies wear in the great outdoors? I recently wore a pair of high-waisted dress slacks, a cardigan set, and my vintage hair and makup, and was pretty head-turning lol The down side is that I got clay mud on my pants, and it doesn't come out. Mud in New York comes out, mud in North Carolina, doesn't :mad: Its ok, they were $14 from Lerner (Metrostyle) on sale, so it isn't a big loss.

Tourbillion post a picture of her grandmother in this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14244&highlight=hiking however, I don't think I can find boots like that now :) Such a cool picture, though! And she was 6 feet tall! Pretty impressive!

Anywho .... I will stop rambling now :p

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
GoldLeaf said:
This is an old thread, but it came up when I did a search for "camping". I found a couple places where we have discussed boots and pants. But I haven't found a place where we have discussed what a lady would wear camping and hiking.

I am interested because my husband and I do both activities quite a bit. Our hiking is limited to trails, so its not like a need an outfit to rock climb in. However, I would like to figure out some things to wear during our excursions.

Wide leg pants, a cardigan set, and my hiking boots? (no matter what, I am not trading in my very nice, leather waterproof boots for something more authentic, hehehe) Mid-calf full skirt? But if you wore a skirt, then what would you wear on your feet?

What do you ladies wear in the great outdoors? I recently wore a pair of high-waisted dress slacks, a cardigan set, and my vintage hair and makup, and was pretty head-turning lol The down side is that I got clay mud on my pants, and it doesn't come out. Mud in New York comes out, mud in North Carolina, doesn't :mad: Its ok, they were $14 from Lerner (Metrostyle) on sale, so it isn't a big loss.

Tourbillion post a picture of her grandmother in this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14244&highlight=hiking however, I don't think I can find boots like that now :) Such a cool picture, though! And she was 6 feet tall! Pretty impressive!

Anywho .... I will stop rambling now :p

Well, the last time went on an unexpected trek in the desert I was wearing a dress, stockings, and wedges. Not exactly the right attire for such a jaunt, but I did okay, even if my outfit did garner a few looks. ;)

Otherwise, for this sort of occasion I will wear an outfit along the lines of 1950s dungarees with a button-down cotton or wool top, hair in rolls or a ponytail with a pin curl at crown, and a little red lipstick for good measure.

G

GoldLeaf

You are always impecably dressed, JBD:eusa_clap I excected nothing less from you! I admire and respect your style :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran