Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage dress shirt collar styles.

I have seen a little bit about different style dress shirt collars listed in this section but was wondering: is there was a general listing or chart for when specific style of collars were in fashion for mens dress shirts?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have noticed that on Boardwalk Empire, some of the men are wearing button down collars, Richard Harrow for example:
be2_harrow_vr1_595-e1319482940452.jpg

I was taught years ago to never wear a button down collar with a suit.
I have no reason to doubt the BE wardobe dept, but this seems out place for 1921. Are they taking liberties?

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Never heard that one before. It was after all a key component of the Ivy League look.

tumblr_lkh63no6ff1qi9ssdo1_500.jpg

Though there was the rule of no button down collars with a double breasted jacket.

filfoster

One Too Many
Never heard that one before. It was after all a key component of the Ivy League look.

tumblr_lkh63no6ff1qi9ssdo1_500.jpg

Though there was the rule of no button down collars with a double breasted jacket.

The folks on AskAndyAboutClothes trad forum would agree with this.

Doesn't every work place have a sort of custom about this?

I stopped wearing button downs to work because I noticed no senior executives at our bank wore them, favoring white, point collar shirts instead. I no longer aspire to promotion but I also like the 'cleaner' simpler look better with a suit.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have noticed that on Boardwalk Empire, some of the men are wearing button down collars, Richard Harrow for example.

I have no reason to doubt the BE wardobe dept, but this seems out place for 1921. Are they taking liberties?

No, they are not taking liberties (for once!)

On campus, Ivy League students had been wearing Brooks Brothers buttondown collared shirts with their tweed suits since around 1915. By the early '20s, some of the more 'bohemian' among them were seen wearing buttondowns with suits after graduation. F. Scott Fitzgerald and Edmund Wilson did, as can be seen in numerous photos of the time. (See below.)

Which begs the question: is the "Boardwalk Empire" costumer actually sophisticated enough to be implying that the Richard Harrow character was a Princetonian?

Fitzg.jpg
Fitzg2.jpg

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
I have noticed that on Boardwalk Empire, some of the men are wearing button down collars, Richard Harrow for example:
be2_harrow_vr1_595-e1319482940452.jpg

You have tremendous powers of concentration, to notice shirt buttons on Richard Harrow!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Doesn't every work place have a sort of custom about this?

That is so true. Button down collars are frowned upon at my work. It's just one of those unspoken rules.

Watching old movies, though, it seems like men used to wear button down collars in combination with any suit type the liked though.

Flat Foot Floey

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the early 1960's button down collars made a come back, replacing the much copied tab collars. Whilst tab collars of that era were more of a plain material look, button down were made, or seem to be made, (old grey cells not functioning on all cylinders) more elaborate material, especially paisley. To that extent, ties were redundant. I think! Please refer to to the quote in brackets. Perhaps the O/P is confusing the pre war fashions with those of the 1960's.
I do remember a time, late 60's early 70's perhaps, when ties & shirts were made of matching material. Did I wear such a faux pas? Probably. How glad I am that internet, texts and phones with cameras were well into the future?

Flat Foot Floey

I know some time has passed since the thread has been active. I still stumble upon button down collars on vintage pictures from time to time and they always strike me as "modern looking".

Here is F.Scott Fitzgerald in the 1930s
tumblr_m7032sf14W1r7vrm6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mlbf387nEj1r5rhsmo1_400.jpg

tumblr_migdi5GDSM1s4iq66o1_500.jpg

I would like to know if Fritz Lang wears a collar pin or a button down here:
tumblr_meiqup9hw21qf7r5lo1_500.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I do remember a time, late 60's early 70's perhaps, when ties & shirts were made of matching material. Did I wear such a faux pas? Probably. How glad I am that internet, texts and phones with cameras were well into the future?
Yes I've seen a few photos of matching shirt and tie combos. I have to say I've seen it look both good and bad and wonder if I could pull off the look..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot