Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Shamus, It can be difficult to get the size right. Even though I have many, I still sometimes end up buying them with a problem in fit. Usually they are too big. I have a large head but a narrow face. It's strange how many people out there seem to really hate glasses. Maybe it has something to do with the lack of really stylish ones. That and the fact that there just aren't too many (any?) popular eyeglass wearing role models now. When an actor wears them now it always seems like a prop or the set-up for a joke. Maybe I should start a thread in the Moving Picture section like..."Golden Era Actors who wore glasses" or some such...:rolleyes: Here one of my favorite who wore 'em:
petersellerseyeglasses20im.jpg

zeus36

A-List Customer
For those of you that do NOT need a prescription but want to wear vintage eyewear, just have any eyeglass shop put in a set of demonstrator lenses. Mine cost five bucks.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
vintage eyeglasses question

My favorite pair of vintage eyeglasses gave up the ghost last week. :(

Can anyone make recommendations about repairs?
I've seen some websites for repairs, or shoudl I stick to local shops?
Is it worth it or should I just make do with modern glasses?

thanks
-bernard

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
What exactly is the problem, Mr. Bern? [huh]
If it's nothing more than a simple screw or nose pad that's come loose, I could fix it at my workplace, gratis. If it involves soldering, however,...that's a bit more tricky.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Its a solder job, the hinge on one of the arms broke off. Actually, the arm is ok, its the part of the hinge on the frame.

And th mother of pearl nose pads arent in great shape either.

I've seen websites w/ pix like this & wondered if anyone had a repair this extreme:
set3.jpg

ideaguy

One Too Many
smashed specs

I've had the good fortune to part with a few pair without warning; the best
advice I was given was to find a good, older jeweler ( or a younger one who's
crackerjack) and have them have at it-they're experts in fine repair work, while
your trusted optician might have too heavy a hand; worked for me, on 14K frames, solid no less-and jewelers know not to make it hard for the optician to
get lenses back in.
Let me know if you go this route- I'd be interested in the outcome. Adieu

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eye, yi yi glasses!!...

I know this story all to well! I've been wearing the same rimless specs since
'73. I not very gentle with these wire frames so, sure enough, they eventually cracked through right in the middle of the nose piece. I found a local jeweller in Phoenix who took on the job of repairing them and he did a fantastic job. One would really have to examine them to see they've been repaired. With the 'weld' they are stronger than the were before - I've dropped them and bent them and they're still intact. If you can't find someone local, I will PM this jewellers address and phone; perhaps he'll do a mailorder repair!

Good luck foureyes! lol (I should talk!.. with my clip-on close-up lenses, my mates call me "6-eyes"!! :D

-dixon cannon

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yes! A jeweller,...NOT an optician.

I had to have the first pair of glasses I ever had repaired, and it was done by an optician. They are not known for their silver soldering skills. :(
Whereas a jeweller has to do a neat and skillful looking job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR