Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

You could save about $30 by buying them direct from Shuron. Call the phone# on their site and talk to the dude, or get your mom to call him. You can't beat getting to try on several pairs to get a perfect fit. Contrary to the modern trend in manufacturing, eyeglasses are NOT one size fits all.

+1
Dale is right, Shuron is a great company to deal with, has plenty of sizes, and is still made in the USA. I have 2 pair and love them.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I guess Shuron is a better way to go then. It seems pretty useful to get several pairs to try on. I often have a problem with glasses being too small, since I have a wide face. I would assume that I would need a 48 or 50.

Note that I wouldn't be getting them very soon, since my mother said that I just got new frames (8 months ago, made in China, overpriced $300). I guess I will have to wait to get them unfortunately, unless I could convince her to get them. I feel she forgets I have my own money often.

Reading the Shuron website, it seems they can tell you if any nearby stores carry their frames. Should I try this first?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If you have your own money already (I assume from a job), why do you need your mother to make purchases for you?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I can't buy anything online. You need a credit card to my knowledge. I don't have a job yet, but I am searching. This money I have is saved up from gifts from relatives. One reason I show Amazon links a lot is because you can convert cash into Amazon money via gift cards.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have a bank account, but I don't control it. My cheapskate of a father has control of it. I used to have my own account, but I had to withdraw all the money to buy a computer. I don't know if there is even money in there anymore, since I have to pay for car insurance, despite not owning a car. The only money I know I have is in my wallet.

tmal

One of the Regulars
vintage eyeglass frames

Time for me to buy new glasses. I'd like vintage frames - 40's %& 50's especially. Can anyone recommend online sources? I've searched and cannot find anything. Naturally I am looking for good service, and proper fit. thanks.

31 Model A

A-List Customer

pnbarber

New in Town
I bought my RONSIR ZYL directly for Shuron. Very helpful. I sent my frame to Lensfactory to get the lenses made. They too are great.

I have a great pair of tortoise Art-Craft frames I'm sending for my next pair. Shuron's are the very similar to Art Craft's are the original makers of this type if frame but are no longer in business. RONSIR ZYL small.jpg Art craft small.jpg

I bought my RONSIR ZYL directly for Shuron. Very helpful. I sent my frame to Lensfactory to get the lenses made. They too are great.

I have a great pair of tortoise Art-Craft frames I'm sending for my next pair. Shuron's are the very similar to Art Craft's are the original makers of this type if frame but are no longer in business. View attachment 22526 View attachment 22527

Those guys are awesome to deal with.
Great Ronsirs.
I have a pair like that, with the briar finish as well. Really need to get my prescription updated in them.

Melvin

New in Town
The two-screw model, like yours, was called the "Numont" (from "new mount") and was a later development. Earlier models had four screws-- two at the bridge and one at either temple. Removing the temple screws was supposedly a cosmetic enhancement and was also supposed to clear up peripheral vision. So I would peg yours at later 20s or 30s; could be later, though, as this style stayed relatively popular for a while, going into the 1940s.

Further support for the style being unisex: Mr. Glenn Miller

glennmiller40s.jpg

And though it's not a period photo, it is from a period piece-- the talented (and striking) Clancy Brown as the wonderful character Justin Crowe on "Carnivale"

brother_justin_crowe.jpg

(The glasses actually serve a function in the series in regards to Crowe's character-- in the first season, when he is struggling with his dark nature, Crowe always wears glasses. After he embraces his inner darkness, Crowe only uses them to read. The lesson here, apparently, is that myopia = good, presbyopia = evil).

ETA: My wife's grandfather also apparently wore these, as well. My mother-in-law has them somewhere around her house but has misplaced them, and has been looking for them to give to me for several months. As neither my wife nor MIL have the same level of glasses love that I do, their descriptions may be inaccurate, but it sounds like they were either numonts or rimways (the four screw style).

The style's called a "rimway". They didn't come along until the 1930s. The style continued to be popular into the 1950s and beyond. The difference was they came to be made of plastic and used a filament wire instead of screws to hold the lens in place.

Found these
View attachment 15856
in an antique mall a couple weeks ago.
I've been wanting 20's frames for some long time now. I happened across these with case for not a lot at all.
Under the bridge is stamped FulVue.
May I ask for an education on period (which?) eyewear.
Would these be around 1930's or later ?
I am guessing that where the arms attach to the lens frames says something about this...

Fulvue was an American Optical patent from 1931. My guess is those are probably from around 1935 or 1940. I'm not sure but I think the basic style was in their catalog for quite some time after that.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'm getting ready to order my first pair of vintage style P3 shaped wire frames. Vintage wire frames appear to be more narrow than modern frames, don't extend beyond the sides of the head. Is there any rule of thumb on frame width for the 1930s look?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
The style's called a "rimway". They didn't come along until the 1930s. The style continued to be popular into the 1950s and beyond. The difference was they came to be made of plastic and used a filament wire instead of screws to hold the lens in place.

Fulvue was an American Optical patent from 1931. My guess is those are probably from around 1935 or 1940. I'm not sure but I think the basic style was in their catalog for quite some time after that.

Incorrect. Rimway was the original, four-scre model; hence the "numont" (new mount) name for when two-screw mountings came along. The lesser number of screws was advertised as being more cosmetically appealing and offering less periphereal interference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB