Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage: How many flaws are accepted for "public" use?

ascanio

New in Town
Hi Everybody. I'm new to posting but I'm been reading since a while this great forum.

I'm a proud wearer of vintage suits or shirts, and I specifically love London traditional brands and bespoke makers.

Specifically, I am proud of the flaws such vintage (or just used) suits may feature, flaws that tells a story from the past, like scars. Actually I feel unconfortable with brand new dresses that still have to prove to have been loved and taken care of, and that tell how this care has been exchanged back by still making an impression after 50 years or more.

I am now considering an evening tailcoat, the most formal of the formal dresses, and I am wondering how much accepted it can be to wear such a vintage dress in a formal event. Most of them in fact do have tiny holes here and there, but in the silk lapel they can be much more visible than on any other kind of fabric, and the lapel is supposed to be immaculate...

So, if I feel very confident to feature some holes on business suits, even in important meetings, I am not sure how confindent I would/should feel featuring a few tiny holes or silk flaws on an 1930 evening tailcoat silk lapel, also considering the planned use would be for ballroom dancing, then having several partners staying close to me, eventually staring to the lapes flaws...

I welcome your comments, assuming that self confidence and being a proud wearer is the most important thing, but in truly formal dresses it might not be the only aspect to consider. Also comments about if having a silk lapel fully recovered with new silk is
an appropriate solution to consider or would kill the spirit of a 1930 dress.

Thank you
Ascanio

Hi Everybody. I'm new to posting but I'm been reading since a while this great forum.

I'm a proud wearer of vintage suits or shirts, and I specifically love London traditional brands and bespoke makers.

Specifically, I am proud of the flaws such vintage (or just used) suits may feature, flaws that tells a story from the past, like scars. Actually I feel unconfortable with brand new dresses that still have to prove to have been loved and taken care of, and that tell how this care has been exchanged back by still making an impression after 50 years or more.

I am now considering an evening tailcoat, the most formal of the formal dresses, and I am wondering how much accepted it can be to wear such a vintage dress in a formal event. Most of them in fact do have tiny holes here and there, but in the silk lapel they can be much more visible than on any other kind of fabric, and the lapel is supposed to be immaculate...

So, if I feel very confident to feature some holes on business suits, even in important meetings, I am not sure how confindent I would/should feel featuring a few tiny holes or silk flaws on an 1930 evening tailcoat silk lapel, also considering the planned use would be for ballroom dancing, then having several partners staying close to me, eventually staring to the lapes flaws...

I welcome your comments, assuming that self confidence and being a proud wearer is the most important thing, but in truly formal dresses it might not be the only aspect to consider. Also comments about if having a silk lapel fully recovered with new silk is
an appropriate solution to consider or would kill the spirit of a 1930 dress.

Thank you
Ascanio
hi there
I always wear white tie at formal do's a gentleman should wear nothing less,I would never wear black tie, its a 1910 tail coat and waistcoat, with pockets in the tail, don't be afraid to have repairs done, wear it with pride!!
VM

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Maybe it comes down to preference/your standard? I know when I started looking at stuff I would get thrown by the tiniest imperfection, but I've come to realized that a lot of times, the moth holes and wear just come with the territory. A lot of this clothing is 70+ years old, so it might have some character. I love the idea of preserving history and even keeping it alive, so I've loosened my standards a little bit. My thought is also...if everyone else rejects it due to a moth nip here or there, will it just become a throwaway garment? Repair and save:)

I'm going to be busy this October going around to a lot of thrift stores and hopefully saving some stuff from the Halloween-ers.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I would say small moth holes which are not easily noticeable aren't too big a problem for anything but the most formal occasions. Some of the suits I wear to work have some mothing, but it can't be noticed unless you look closely.

With the formality of black or white tie I would avoid any visible damage though as it will detract from the outfit. If the only damage on your tailcoat is on the lapels you could try having them refaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou