Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I have several original knits in good sizes plus some that a friend re-sized from original patterns.
There is no change in shape or loss of original styling.I'm not sure why there would be really? I am a costumier by trade and although sewing is my thing, this is no different really.

K

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Very good point Kitty! I rushed in with a reply with out thinking about things properly. I just said what I saw in my book- that was resized knits on the wrong size models- they just didn’t fill them out enough to look right or they were too long!!! I would post pictures of examples but I’m not sure if I can- can I?
My sister has also a degree in costume! (Thought I would add that as I’m a very proud sister!:D ) And yes the construction is exactly like sewing.

Hats x

Anwen

New in Town
I bought the Stitch in Time book yesterday, it's lovely! I like that they've included the original patterns in full as well as the updated versions :) I've already bought wool for "It Couldn't Fail to Please", though it looks like (from Ravelry) there are some Errata to look out for...

I am newer to knitting than crochet, but I am *dying* to make this one - I simply can't afford the whole book on my current budget - would one of you girls who has the "Stitch in Time" be willing to email me a scan or mail a photocopy of the Lacy Bed Jacket? ('d be very happy to cover your postage cost and/or trade for any of the patterns I have if you are looking for something). I'm desperately in need of *this* bed jacket! hah! ;)

LacyBedJacket_full_medium.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Hamilton Honey -
I have an enourmous stack of vintage knitting magazines full of bed jackets.
Let me scan you a few patterns. I'm sure I can find one very similar. Can you PM me? Let me know if you are interested.

knitting mill

This is a different kind of knitting but we were recently in Portland visiting one of the last heritage Knitting mills around, Dehen. We reissue there vintage line and were checking out the vintage sweaters cut to original patterns they were making for us.
www.gasolinecowboys.com
it was well cool as most of the machinery was 80+ years old
dehen.jpg
[/IMG]
the steel plates on the wall in the background are the patterns(the first computers really!!) you can see it going into the machine like a conveyer belt all with braille type pattern dots and dashes telling the knitting machine what to do next.
They Knit the wool like it's fabric, then cut it to patterns(some original 60 years old) and sew it together like a tailor or seamtress. I found it fascinating to see such old skool equipment still making all these amazing garments
thorws.jpg

cheers Dave
www.gasolinecowboys.com

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
I'm trying to line up some knitting projects so that I can get my yarn well ahead of time on the 'Bay, or in some other bargain-able fashion, and I'm pretty new to knitting so I'm having a hard time figuring out the yarn for this sweater:

http://www.fadedsplendour.com/2010/12/10/free-vintage-1930s-moss-stitch-jumper-knitting-pattern/

It's listed as Anchor Tricoton. I tried searching for that and found nothing, so I tried searching tricot, and the one I found didn't seem the right texture - almost mohair-like. Is it a sport weight? A cotton mix?

I'd love if one of the knitting ladies here could shed some light on this! Thanks :)

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Hi Nancy, I just looked at the pattern to see if I could help you out.

I can't tell if it is a British or American pattern (needle sizes differ) and the conversion chart I've just looked at doesn't make any sense with the tension given! It seems more like you'd use a UK 12 for the rib and a UK9 for the body.

I've used Patons 100% Cotton 4 ply to knit up a 30s pattern with similar tension and it came out well, although you need to remember it has more give than wool - my tension was as per the pattern but it did 'grow' a little (pattern was for wool yarn). Shouldn't have too much of a problem with the above pattern.

The good thing is the Patons Cotton comes in alot of colours, so plenty of choice. Here's a link to a UK site to give you an idea!
http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/patons-100-cotton-4-ply-51-c.asp

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis, I really am not sure the origin either! I'll probably talk to my knitting teacher about it and I'll keep your needle suggestions in mind. I really appreciate the information about the yarn. Thanks :)

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Help me, please

Hi. Has anyone seen this pattern for the three hour sweater?
http://www.lrvictor.bravepages.com/Free/3-HOUR.htm
I had wanted to make it but when I took it to the lady who owns the knitting stall at my local market she said she couldn't help me at all because it was in American and I would need it converting to English.
I was really confused when she said this to me because I saw the pattern on Yesterday Girl's blog and she didn't mention any trouble like this when she made it. Does anyone know what she means? Could you help me make a shopping list so I know what to buy?
Thanks.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Rosie, the basics of the patterns will be the same, but American and British needle sizes differ - so wheres say a 14 in England is a teeny tiny thin needle, in the US it is a big fat needle. There are lots of charts about on the 'net which convert one to the other, otherwise there shouldn't be a problem for a British knitter to use an American pattern.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Rosie, the basics of the patterns will be the same, but American and British needle sizes differ - so wheres say a 14 in England is a teeny tiny thin needle, in the US it is a big fat needle. There are lots of charts about on the 'net which convert one to the other, otherwise there shouldn't be a problem for a British knitter to use an American pattern.

She made it sound like I was asking the world! I might go ask at the wool shop in town and not the market.
Plus now you say about needle sizes I think I have bought the wrong size ones.
Thanks Miss Sis!

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Rosie, I'm not sure why she thought it was an American pattern? Maybe the stitch gauge going by the inch? The needles, however, needed translating for me too to get to American needle sizes. Also, you may find the larger needle for the body of the sweater is much too large to get the gauge listed.
It suggests a 5mm (6uk) and 10mm (000uk - a lot of people seem to be getting the gauge on size 00 or even 0 needles though)

I am currently working this sweater and using a 7uk on the bottom ribbing, 0uk on the body (i'm fumbly with larger needles and get a loose stitch) and 6uk on the upper yoke ribbing.

I found a conversion chart on this Wikipedia article on Knitting

Hope this helps :)

Also, plain worsted weight wool yarn will work beautifully for this pattern!

Last edited:

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
Hi Nancy.

Thanks for the imformation. Would you be able to post some pictures when you've finished so I can get more of an idea of what it should look like?
15022011030.jpg

These are the needles she sold me. Mum said they looked too big for the size of stitch shown on Yesterday Girl's pictures.
And here I thought the actual knitting was going to be the hardest part:confused:
Also on the pattern it says size 16. Have you done anything in order to make it more your size?
Thank you so much again.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Rosie,

Those definitely are the sizes listed, and the 5mm should work for you for the ribbing! The large 10mm needles are another story. Unless you have a secret way of knitting very tightly with larger needles (I've seen SOME people on Ravelry use the 10mm for the stockinette stitch on the body, but most people seem to be using 9mm (00 uk) and I'm using 8mm (0uk) to get the 4 stitches per inch.
I don't know how much knitting you've done (I haven't done much either and this sweater has been quite easy.) If you haven't done much, you might not know to do a test first.
It is always a good idea to do a test and find out if the needles listed work for you or if you need a different size to counteract knitting too tight or too loose. Grab the yarn you are using and the larger needle and cast on about 10 or 15 stitches and then knit a row, purl a row and repeat until you have, I don't know, 10 rows or are getting a uniform stitch going. Then measure your stitches. If you've gotten 4 stitches in one inch (or 2 1/2 cm) then you are on gauge and can start the pattern! If not, get a smaller needle and try again. This way you know your sweater will be the same as the pattern.
As per sizing, it is based on a vintage size 16, 34b, 28w, 34h (these are in inches - I use google's conversion when necessary) If your measurements are different, you'll add to the pattern. Keep in mind that if you cast on an extra four stitches, that is an extra inch (2.5cm). Also keep in mind that anything you need to add will have to be divided in half since there is a back half and a front half.

My alterations: You'll see lot of people seem to be knitting this sweater tighter to the body, but I am going for a look as close to the original pattern as possible, so tightly ribbed waist and bloussant loose bodice. I am quite close to pattern size, but I used a size down on the ribbing needle so I ended up casting on four more on each side, that probably will not be an issue with the standard 5mm needle listed in the pattern. One thing you may consider, is I did hear that the bottom of the armholes were a little cutting so before getting to the part where you decrease 1 st both ends of needle every K row, I added an extra K row and an extra P row so this would be less of an issue.
Wow, this ended up a long post, but seeing as I felt pretty lost at first too, I thought it would help! My sweater will be finished next Monday if you'd still like to see the results then :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner