Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
vintage patterns

Hi! I'm new here, but I have been knitting and crocheting from vintage patterns in the original terminology for a few years now, so let me see if I can help.

The first thing that I must impress is that the names of the stitches, the hook size, and the yarn size will vary DRAMATICALLY by year, yarn company, and location of the pattern ESPECIALLY with crochet. The pattern you have chosen will be a fairly easy one to "translate", because it shows the stitch in detail, how to work it, and at what gauge it is worked. Just guessing by the size of the stitches in the picture, it appears to be worked in DK weight (which corresponds to American size hook 3-5).

You can check the gauge of crochet as with knitting, but I would advise making several separate swatches in the stitch pattern using different sized hooks instead of working a couple of inches and then changing the hook size. This is particularly important in an article where gauge counts. Also when you make the swatch, I don't advise unravelling the yarn and using it again-it tends to make the yarn look fuzzy and sort of ratty.

I hope that answered your question!

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Fleur De Guerre said:
For those ladies that knit, you may be interested to know that a much sought-after book of 20s, 30s and 40s knitting patterns from the 70s called A Stitch In Time is being republished sometime this year or next. Apparently it chages hands on eBay for a lot of money due to going out of print in about 1979. It's being updated with new patterns and pictures. I don't knit, though I really want to learn because I was lucky enough to be picked to be one of the knitwear models for the book! :D:D Oh the stuff I got to wear...drooooool...but not to keep, or even buy (I begged!) :cry:

More info here: http://www.knitonthenet.com/stitchintime/

I just recived A stitch in time today. It is wonderful. I already have problems deciding wich one to start with. And Fleur, you are beautiful.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
Ooh, Fleur, that's you on the cover! Isn't it? :) Can we see more pictures from it somewhere?

I'm not on the cover any more, but I am inside! There are some pictures on my Blog (below) if anyone wants to see! Here's one:

l_67ca867c48b746d9932bb1c86db46f43.jpg

I'm awaiting my copy...and the ability to knit!

Mary

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Ah, I read an article in a knitting magazine that they HAVE changed the patterns for modern knitters with sizing, yarn etc. Dang! :(

Not what I wanted them to do....

Isn't that a good thing? When I read old patterns I have no idea what yarn to use. So how do you knitting gals know what yarn to use? Maybe you can link to good 40's and 30's styled yarn. Is there much diffence to yarns?![huh] :rolleyes:

But sizing would be really bad to change. I agree with you on that.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I was just wondering this yesterday! I didn't know they had changed them- but I'm pretty clueless on that stuff. I am trying to knit a sweater from 1941 in a beginner book and I just made a swatch and adjusted needle size and yarn size to be what they said. If someone knows better, I'd love to hear.
I found this yesterday http://www.vintageknits.com/vintyarn1.html
I think we need a "show us your vintage knitting" thread :D

Mary said:
Isn't that a good thing? When I read old patterns I have no idea what yarn to use. So how do you knitting gals know what yarn to use? Maybe you can link to good 40's and 30's styled yarn. Is there much diffence to yarns?![huh] :rolleyes:

Most old yarn types are still available. You basically need to know if the pattern uses worsted weight yarn, sport weight, fingering etc. Many patterns say what the ply is also. I don't think it is that hard, if you know what the feel of something made up would be you should be able to select a yarn. For example a hat would use a heavier yarn (worsted) compared to a fine knit sweater like Fleur is modeling, would be a lighter silkier (fingering) style yarn.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Mary said:

Basically, when they resize you are losing the shaping of the original pattern, which is what I have a problem with. Often all the nice tighter fitting features are done away with to fit more 'modern' figures. Although, yes, I suppose it helps those who are a different size to the original pattern. I'll stick to buying original patterns. Luckily they're not far off my size anyway.

Like Lauren says, whatever yarn you buy you will need to do a tension swatch anyway with your needles to check it is coming out right and adjust accordingly. Often the size of the needles in the pattern will give you an idea of the thickness of the yarn used in the original. For example, I am knitting a 30s pattern that did not descibe the ply of the wool, just that it was 'Totem' wool. That meant nothing to me these days but I looked at the needle size and since they were larger needles, I realised I could use double knitting wool. Needle sizes are different in America than in the UK. Here the higher the number, the finer the needles, so 14 is incredibly fine for the finest baby items and down the sliding scale 8 is for thicker double knit wool. This is old sizing. Now it's mostly metric - ie/ 2mm, 2 1/2mm, etc.

I JUST finished my 1935 Riding jumper last night. At last, it's been slow going. I'm going to take some pics - but which thread to post them???? :D

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Miss Sis - The Riding jumper photos would be good in "Show Us What You Made"

Don't get me started on resizing, I could rant for days!! If a pattern is a 34" and I want it to be a 32", I just try and knit really tightly and take the seams in a little more than I should... Anything larger and I just look longingly at the pattern!
I'm currently knitting a stripey jumper that should be a 34" Bust, but having measured it, will be a 38" Bust! I used some good wool in that as well :(

I must admit to having a severe dislike of rewritten patterns, especially in some of the sizes they come in - No offence, but I always seem to be too small on their scales, so I stick to vintage. But for girls' with "modern" figures, they must be great :D

Tallulah

New in Town
decodoll said:
I taught myself to knit from a book a couple of years ago for the same reason. Then I got to the point where I decided I was ready to start my first sweater from a 1940's pattern....and realized that it was going to take me years to finish said sweater! The thing about vintage knitting patterns, unlike modern ones, is that they are all done with the tiniest of needles! So, unless you have the patience of a saint or a lot of spare time to knit, I'd say learning to sew would be the better option. For clothes anyway. You could always learn to knit too and make vintage accesssories.

I have found the same thing to be true. I love to crochet and knit but both are very time-consuming to do complex (and, er, complete LOL) projects in. Sewing is a faster way to get custom vintage inspired creations. The suggestion to use knit for accessories or maybe a daily wear piece is excellent. It is a huge investment of time.

Mary

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
Most old yarn types are still available. You basically need to know if the pattern uses worsted weight yarn, sport weight, fingering etc. Many patterns say what the ply is also. I don't think it is that hard, if you know what the feel of something made up would be you should be able to select a yarn. For example a hat would use a heavier yarn (worsted) compared to a fine knit sweater like Fleur is modeling, would be a lighter silkier (fingering) style yarn.

This makes sence.

Mis Sis Please post the sweter here too. It's good to dubblepost so it's easy to find in the future.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
It is posted in the 'Show us what you made' thread in all it's glory, but here is one pic of it:

DSC00605.jpg

To be honest, I feel a bit 'blah' about it at the moment but I think when I get it on with the right things I'll feel better. On it's own it looks too 50s to me. It needs a nice 30s skirt and hairdo so I can fully appreciate it!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
In my experience, the tiny needle thing isn't true. I have nearly a dozen 50's knitting books and at least half the projects are written for sport or DK weight yarn and my gauge swatches indicate US 7 needles. There are even several patterns for bulkier yarn and larger needles. I don't have any 40s or 30s books, so I can't comment on those patterns.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Double knitting wool became much more popular post WW2. They did have thicker wools in the 30s and 40s but they weren't utilised so much. Some patterns called for you to use two balls of 3 or 4 ply at the same time - in essence, double knit, but there are not so many.

I have lots of 30s Stitchcraft magazines and 40 knitting patterns and the majority of the yarns are 2, 3 or 4 ply for men's, women's and children's patterns. I am currently knitting a jumper in double knit to a 1936 pattern. It says it is specially designed for beginners as it is easy to knit and the thick wool 'knits up like lightening'. It is certainly growing ALOT quicker than the 4 ply.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
For anyone with a 'modern figure' :rolleyes: dear me...I am scanning and putting a pattern online tomorrow.
It is four sweaters from 1944 in a 38" bust upwards...Sweater girls only need apply.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Miss Sis said:
Ah, I read an article in a knitting magazine that they HAVE changed the patterns for modern knitters with sizing, yarn etc. Dang! :(

Not what I wanted them to do....

I seem to live and breathe knitting at the moment- I truly am turning into a big knit!:D
I only ever knit from old patterns (preferring 30’s and 40’s) and try and obtain the correct ply- if not I find a good substitute and knit to the correct tension. I don’t think you can beat the shaping and style of the originals.

The only thing that niggles me is that the patterns are usually for a 34’’ bust when I take a 30-32’’ size:eek: , but with my little grey cells I can sometimes take out stitches or just change the needles (done this once with great success I may add!)

Regarding flures fabulous pics….I think I have the last publication from that Author and was quite disappointed after spending £20 on it! Indeed they did change the sizing for the ‘Modern Figures’ and in turn lost the authenticity and look of each garment, quite laughable at times in fact! (I checked several against my originals- and boy were they changed!) One last thing in my little rant… The knitteds did nothing for the models and the models did nothing for the knitteds! I would say only the children’s looked authentic.

Having seen the picture of Fleur in the Picture above, I’m thinking wow:eusa_clap … while forgetting whatever I was twittering on about in the first place! But I’m still to be convinced.
All to their own I suppose. (In the changing of the patterns)

Miss Sis- I was looking at one of my Stitch crafts and It actually told you what Moorland yarn was equivalent to- I will look back and find out. I also come across Totem wool, as I’m sure you do too (more so in the 30's patterns), but I’m uncertain to what this would be in modern yarns- double knit or Arran? I will just have to consult my tension chart….:p

Hats x

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Gosh, sorry I totally didn’t even think of this- I’m sure you know the style of vintage knitteds quite well and therefore see that even sizes 38/40/42’’ are still trim and fitted and not baggy on the models at all (I’m speaking for the 30’s/40’s) Unlike the ones in the book I have! Does that make any sense?[huh]

I suppose what I’m trying to get at now is if they change and resize the pattern they should find the right models to fit them! Well only if they want them to look authentic.

I’ll just shut up and carry on knitting my stockings!

Hats x

mackenzie

Familiar Face
As far as the new book ( a stitch in time) goes, they have posted pics of the original pattern and the remake ( a couple of pics in more then one size) and to me it looks as though the bigger sizes are the ones that has changed the shape and the smaller sizes still has the original shape.
I take a size 32 bust and when I use original patterns they always comes out big. I havn't had time to try out any of the patterns in a stitch in time but as soon as I do I will post pics of the results. I did make a sweater from the book vintage knitting for modern knitters with pretty good results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner