Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
GoldLeaf said:
Kami: Those books look wonderful! These are the ones I got - this thread inspired me :) Now I have to get done knitting things for my baby and my friend's baby, and I can start one of these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150117727293&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260164700085&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

Ooo, those are great books! I was watching the second one, but forgot to bid in time. I'm glad it went to someone from The Lounge!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
What fantastic patterns Goldleaf, the good thing about these 50's patterns is that there are loads of them out there and I'm sure that you'll be able to find some more just as cute. They are EXTREMELY cute though!

:eek:fftopic: I don't know if you are at all interested but I just bought this dress from Phase Eight (you need to click on the second from the right on the top row) http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/miami.htm(I don't know if you have this in the States) but it's the closest modern reproduction of these 50's knit dresses that I have seen in a long time. You can't see from the pic but the skirt has gored ribs on and is ribbed around the waist so it really nips in.

Good luck in you pattern searching, I can't resist vintage knitting patterns myself. People seemed to be so much more creative designing patterns then.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, ladies, I've started my first vintage knitting project. I was under the impression that all vintage knitting was done on tiny needles, but I seem to have lucked out on the books that I got. The book I got my first project from has several sweater done on size 7 or larger needles and 3 on size 10 needles. I do wonder, though, if the weights of yarns have changed. Many of the patterns call for worsted weight yarns, but use a smaller needle than what I've used for worsted with modern patterns. Either the weight of yarn has changed or they just preferred a denser knitted fabric. The pic below is the pattern I'm working on, from Fleisher Yarns' "Cardigans, Cardigans, Cardigans" from 1954.
2118066074_4cc0c842a2.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
I love it!!! Yes I do think the yarns have changed, I've noticed that too. Makes checking your tension all that more important.
I still consider myself a beginner so I take all my projects into my local yan boutique and have the owner double check my gauge. She'll help out at any stage of a knitting project as long as you buy the yarn from her. It's quite a bit more expensive (no acrylic yarns) but it's worth it to me to know I can have someone to turn to. This is a lovely 85% cotton, 15% mohair. That seems to be the right amount of wool for me so I don't react to the wool.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:

That's a great looking sweater--I love the curl of the collar. What color are you making it up in? Please keep us posted on your progress and show a picture of the finished product!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Well, ladies, I've started my first vintage knitting project. I was under the impression that all vintage knitting was done on tiny needles, but I seem to have lucked out on the books that I got. The book I got my first project from has several sweater done on size 7 or larger needles and 3 on size 10 needles. I do wonder, though, if the weights of yarns have changed. Many of the patterns call for worsted weight yarns, but use a smaller needle than what I've used for worsted with modern patterns. Either the weight of yarn has changed or they just preferred a denser knitted fabric. The pic below is the pattern I'm working on, from Fleisher Yarns' "Cardigans, Cardigans, Cardigans" from 1954.
2118066074_4cc0c842a2.jpg

Kamikat, that is a beeeeaaauuutiful sweater!! It will flatter your figure and I must say :eek:fftopic: Is that the new Besame you are wearing in your avatar? You look lovely! :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Is that the new Besame you are wearing in your avatar? You look lovely! :D
Why, yes! Yes, it is Besame! I have never been in love with a cosmetic line before, but this stuff rocks my world! AND, I owe it all to you. I never would have bought some without trying it first. Thanks!

zaika

One Too Many
If anyone is on Ravelry, my handle there is also zaika. I'm a part of some vintage knits group and would love to know if anyone else is on there. Please let me know and friend me! Or, I'll friend you. :D

ETA: if you don't know what Ravelry is, go to www.ravelry.com. It's a fantastic knitter/crochet community with places to organize projects, your stash, needles, patterns, list all the things you want to make, etc. And there are some good forums on there as well. Since it's currently in beta testing, you have to sign up for an invite. But it's worth the wait!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
zaika said:
If anyone is on Ravelry, my handle there is also zaika. I'm a part of some vintage knits group and would love to know if anyone else is on there. Please let me know and friend me! Or, I'll friend you. :D

ETA: if you don't know what Ravelry is, go to www.ravelry.com. It's a fantastic knitter/crochet community with places to organize projects, your stash, needles, patterns, list all the things you want to make, etc. And there are some good forums on there as well. Since it's currently in beta testing, you have to sign up for an invite. But it's worth the wait!

I just signed up for an invite to this site and have about 8,000 people infront of me!!!!!
However it does say that they are getting through the invites at about 1000 a day so hopefully it won't be long and as soon as I get in I'll look you up Zaika:)

zaika

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
I just signed up for an invite to this site and have about 8,000 people infront of me!!!!!
However it does say that they are getting through the invites at about 1000 a day so hopefully it won't be long and as soon as I get in I'll look you up Zaika:)

Fantastic! I'll be waiting patiently to hear from you. lol

leaette

A-List Customer
I'm leaette on ravelry too. i don't go on there that much. it's geared more for the knitter.

kamikat...how's the sweater going?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
zaika said:
Fantastic! I'll be waiting patiently to hear from you. lol

Oh now heres the thing....I just waited a whole week to get my invite and even though it says on the wait-list-checker that they sent it to me it's not showing in my in box!!!:(

I clicked the button to get it resent and still nothing, I wonder if it's because I used my Hotmail address?

Anyway I have just submitted my btinternet yahoo address instead and hopefully I'll get in soon! I am DYING to get into this forum.

PS, I must post pics of my current project soon, 1957 toddlers dress in 4ply with the cutest little "smocking" look border. I just finished the back but have the neck shape waiting on stitch holders ready to pick up for the yoke part. Once I have that done I'll post pics. I'm very excited about this one as I had to be a bit creative with the using up odd balls of yarn.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
Oh now heres the thing....I just waited a whole week to get my invite and even though it says on the wait-list-checker that they sent it to me it's not showing in my in box!!!:(

I clicked the button to get it resent and still nothing, I wonder if it's because I used my Hotmail address?

Anyway I have just submitted my btinternet yahoo address instead and hopefully I'll get in soon! I am DYING to get into this forum.

PS, I must post pics of my current project soon, 1957 toddlers dress in 4ply with the cutest little "smocking" look border. I just finished the back but have the neck shape waiting on stitch holders ready to pick up for the yoke part. Once I have that done I'll post pics. I'm very excited about this one as I had to be a bit creative with the using up odd balls of yarn.

Tried looking in your spam and trash folders?

I bet the invite is hiding in there......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy