Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage leather jacket labels...photo resource

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Dear all
I've this idea of compiling a list ( comprehensive or loosely random it doesn't matter) of vintage jacket labels. They've long fascinated me, and often overlooked as a mere tag or marker of value, pedigree or distinction. But to me they are beautiful pieces of design in themselves. The design work thats gone into them is amazing. They also distinguish a very finely made jacket. Labels like 'Californian', Sport Togs', Buco, Excelled, Block Built
Monarch, Field Master etc, Often the smaller makers from individual cities designed some of the most interesting and unique, with very intricate scenes of horses and cars and bikes...I recall John Chapman at Good Wear telling me he was in the process of finding more civilian labels that he was going to reproduce with a manufacturer. Fantastic idea.
So I'm wondering if there are any members who are also interested, if they'd like to post some photos for an online collection/resource here. Can I suggest a cut off year. maybe the late 50's. After that i think things went a bit sloppy and down hill.
Any takers?

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Like this one?

Edit: Excuse me, how do you post pictures from your HD? This is the pic of an actual vintage Californian label...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, Dinerman. My favorite is the LA Sportstogs.

fishmeok

Vendor
Thank you!!! I love old labels as well and tried to make mine with a true 1930's vibe. Uber Leather in Owatonna MN is back in business and making jackets still. Far cry from the quality of the originals and they mostly make gloves but it is nice to see a family owned tannery still in operation. I think this is one of the last in the Great Lakes area.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/dinerman3/2013 January eBay/IMG_1576.jpg

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

After viewing this thread I could not quite help but notice the similarities between California Sportswear's method of attaching their labels to both their military and civilian jackets. As seen in Dinerman's examples, sometimes they used a straight stitch.

Other times thy used an unusual zig zag style stitch.

So far I have never seen another military spec maker utilize that same style zig zag stitch to attach their labels other than California Sportswear.

Cheers, Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy