Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Inky

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
Inky, that ad is a amazing where did you find it ?

I have NO idea! I have a little folder on my desk top where I save stuff I find - who knows, it might have already been here - but it's cool and such a good example of many colors, I just wish I knew what year it really was!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I did find this one, look at the shape of the bottles. I can see searching for something new in my future !!!
3328885629_866fcbaffc_o.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am wondering if anyone has tried the new sally hansen nail art pens to draw the moon part before painting....seems like it might work......outline the moon in red so that you have a firm line to start the main nail polish in?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to share my vintage manicure. :) My prom is this Saturday, so I decided to get some fake nails, as mine are really short. My dress is fifties looking, so I wanted good vintage-looking nails. I knew what color to get and that I needed round-tipped nails, so I handed the guy Rose-colored nail polish and told him I wanted the whole nail painted that way and I wanted rounded nails. He asked me four times (Not even exaggerating) if I was sure I wanted round, and not square. Then he showed me his nails and said, "Like this?" And I said yes. He just shook his head and got to work. Then when he was making them round, I noticed he was having difficulty. So I finally asked him if I was the first girl to ask for round nails. I was! Anyway, when he got to painting them, he asked me another four times if I was sure I wanted a solid color and not a french manicure. Well, they turned out okay, so here they are...

s5030696.jpg

But I won't be getting nails from him again, he made me bleed. :(

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Apologies if this has been shared before, but have you ladies seen this tutorial for creating a vintage 1930s manicure (accompanying post here)?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yu-a_fuZegs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yu-a_fuZegs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

It reminds me of this gorgeous photo of Joan Blondell:

1-1.jpg

Of course, most of the reason everyone's talking about this very specific manicure is because Dita Von Teese wore it.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Emer said:
I was just looking at the above picture and looked at my own nails--I have no moons! Is that weird?
not too weird... my nanna always taught us to push down our cuticles until the moon was showing... but I only have moons on my thumbs, forefingers and middle fingers

SayCici

Practically Family
Hey ladies - I recommend using French manicure nail guides for help leaving the moon and tip of your nails unpainted! I've found them at places like CVS or Rite-Aid for $2-3.

- Have q-tips and nail polish remover ready.
- Put on your clear base coat, wait for them to dry.
- Remove two of the stickers, placing one over the moon of your nail (or if it doesn't show very much, just place it where you think it should be) and one where the pink of your nail meets the tip, so the bottom of it is completely covered.
- Try to get the sticker as flat as possible - this isn't their intended use so they tend to bubble up. Clipping them so they're shorter might help.
- Paint your nail with chosen color, being careful around the strips.
- Wait for the first coat to DRY COMPLETELY. Put on your second coat, or next..
- Carefully peel off the strips. You'll see some of the nail polish may have leaked through, which is why we have q-tips. Dip one in the nail remover and tidy up the moons and tips. Dry...
- Clear top coat!

I hope this helps! It's probably best to do this on a day you're waiting for bread to rise or a marathon is on TV because it's time consuming. The moons on my fingers don't show up very well besides my thumbs and a little bit on my pointer fingers, so I've found it looks best just to follow this for my thumbs and paint the rest like the instructions but only for the tips.

I found out about the manicure guide strips on Super Kawaii Mama's blog when I went searching the other week. Thank you! :]

Antje

One Too Many
Wow I have a real find, or I deffenitly think it is a great find,

I use now max faxtor 40 sec nailpolish
it is really dry in 40 seconds and i won't chip very fast
I work as a hairdresser and when I'm perming, normally my nailpolish would start chipping right away

now I can go 2 days without chipping yay

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I'm on my way to get acrylics so I can do pretty vintage manicures.
Since my natural nails won't grow, I have to do the artificial route. :eusa_doh:

Antje

One Too Many
Antje said:
Wow I have a real find, or I deffenitly think it is a great find,

I use now max faxtor 40 sec nailpolish
it is really dry in 40 seconds and i won't chip very fast
I work as a hairdresser and when I'm perming, normally my nailpolish would start chipping right away

now I can go 2 days without chipping yay

Sorry I meant maybelline new york,
I checked the bottle and saw it wasn't max factor :eusa_doh:

jayem

A-List Customer
That french tip little white strip trick really works. I just gave myself a vintage manicure with a funky dark blue/purple color. Looks like a midnight sky. Awesome for summer.

Coopsgirl

New in Town
I don't remember who posted it but they said to use the hole reinforcers to cover the half moons and that worked great. I used a nice coral color and it came out really well. Ditzy me though forgot to take a pic before I took it off a few minutes ago after wearing it for a few days. The next time I do it I'll try and remember to take a picture. :eusa_doh:

I want to be able to do it with the tips unpainted but I haven't quite mastered that yet. I tried using the french manicure guides but it came out uneven and just didn't look right. I think it might be easier to use a nail color pen but they don't have a very big selection of colors at Walmart (the only place I found any so far) so I'll keep looking for those. Anybody know if Target or any other places like that sell those? I checked Sally's Beauty Supply and they didn't have any.

zendy

A-List Customer
nail art pens

So I went to the local drug store and bought one of the nail art pens to draw my moon lines, and they came out perfect! The only red they had was more coral sparkly, but I went over it as closely as possible with my preferred color and it hid the ugly pen color.
2009_0621spatsnblatz0014.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
good to find this thread. Cuz' I was otherwise thinking of starting one- like "Show us your vintage manicures"! I have pretty strong thick nailsw but I sometimes nick an edge of one or two and then before I know it its two fingers on one hand and three on the other, so I soon gotta cut them all down and start over.

I'm absolutely no good at painting my own, expect with a coat of Sally Hansen pinkish clear. Last time I even did that, I got a drop of it on a pair of my best wool high waisted RL trousers, wearing them the day after they had just come back from the cleaners aargh... Fortunately the drycleaners where I take all our vintage clothes said she can remove it.

I used to shape mine as what I'd call a tapered squared shape. But since the beginning of May I'm doing a 40s manicure style now. Its hard to convince a nail salon gal that YES, I really DO want them shaped as a long tapered pointy-ish oval shape!

After many years ago of not having been successful having the acrylic and gel nails- I'm giving it another try. I'm very pleased with the results. I have them specifically done very thin, so they look more natural than what I typically see done out here. I've got two shades of 40s red polish that I really like, plus a bright geranium pink for when I've not got a vintage event coming up. I really am enjoying having my nails look elegant day in and out!

I don't have of this 40s style look, but will have DH take one and post it soon. I found a Blk/Wht 40s nail manicure picture, with this same shape. I'll try to include it in the picture taken of my hands.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
PIC taken 5/31, 1940s style manicure

Here's an older pic wearing the pink geranium (my color name) nail polish. Since this pic, I have been letting them grow- getting them shaped a little more pointy and a little more long oval each time. I'll post a pic next time with one of the red polish colors. They are red now, but due for a fill. This is my favorite red jeweled Sorelli bracelet. I wear red alot, and this goes with everything!
365949714.jpg

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
chanteuseCarey said:
Its hard to convince a nail salon gal that YES, I really DO want them shaped as a long tapered pointy-ish oval shape!

AMEN. lol They always try to give me square nails! I've always done my nails as longer ovals, though I'll admit I'm a bit intimidated by the ultra-pointy dagger-like tips you see on some old movie stars. My sister did them like that once, though she found it unnerving trying to put in her contact lenses. ;) Her nails:

3223635149_541cd28dd5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn