Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
One of my current favorite reds, Vintage Red, is from the Loreal Ltd. Edition Scarlett collection. I also like deep wine shades. I wear deeper shades in the fall/winter. For the spring/summer, I like coral shades or shades that have an orange tone (but not neon orange:eek: ).

My mom and her sisters who were in their '20s during the '40s always matched their nail polish and lipstick. Because of this, to this day I have to have my nail polish and lipstick match, or at least complement each other.:)

Novella

Practically Family
I was just thinking about starting a nail polish thread - I'm glad you did!

I was wondering about tips for creating that half-moon look. I took a stab at the partially painted look and had medium success. My artistic talent hovers around stick figure illustrations so I was pleased with what I got, imperfections and all. What are you suppose to do if you don't have the white half moons on a nail (for example, my pinkie nail)? Do you try to fake a half moon (is this possible)? Has anyone tried painting their nails and then using a nail polish remover soaked q-tip to erase the moon? I thought about doing that the next time I give it a try. Thanks for posting the french manicure guide stickers suggestion Jitterbugdoll, I'll have to give that a try sometime. I could see how this style, if not done very neatly, could end up looking like you've got old nailpolish on that you're too lazy to remove.

Oh, and the color currently = the cheapest red nail polish I could find. I didn't bring my nail polish with me because of the no liquids on airplanes thing but I was itching to go red.

My favorite red is OPI's Got the Blues for Red.

My first try:
nailssmallqr2.png

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
RetroMom said:
One of my current favorite reds, Vintage Red, is from the Loreal Ltd. Edition Scarlett collection. I also like deep wine shades. I wear deeper shades in the fall/winter. For the spring/summer, I like coral shades or shades that have an orange tone (but not neon orange:eek: ).

My mom and her sisters who were in their '20s during the '40s always matched their nail polish and lipstick. Because of this, to this day I have to have my nail polish and lipstick match, or at least complement each other.:)
I would like to find the Loreal Limited Edition nail color and lipsticks people have mentioned, but no one seems to carry it anymore, not even on eBay. Am I out of luck? How long ago did you buy yours?
I also want to match my lipstick to my OPI I'm Not Really a Waitress nail polish, and I know they used to make a matching lip stick by the same name, but can't find it on their website. In fact, on the OPI site I don't see any lipsticks, just "Lip Sheers". There are a couple of tubes for sale on eBay that are listed as new, but I hate to buy them without seeing it in person first. Has anyone worn the lipstick in this shade? How did it look? Where can I find it?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
There were variations on the bare half moon look (and bare tips) from the 1920s-40s--check out this site for reference:
http://www.return2style.de/amimakup.htm

Some women still painted their entire nail bed, but the bare half moon look was very trendy.

It doesn't matter if you have half moons naturally--you just leave the sliver of nail polish free. I only have half moons of my thumbnails and still paint my nails using this method--it's looks smashing, I think :)

Avalon

A-List Customer
Novella, bless you for posting this:

What are you suppose to do if you don't have the white half moons on a nail (for example, my pinkie nail)? Do you try to fake a half moon (is this possible)?

For whatever reason, I have no half-moons on my nails. My doctor told me it was just an idiosyncracy I have (sometimes it can be indicative of a medical problem). I want to try the bare half-moon look but didn't know if I could without looking like a dorklehose. lol

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For whatever reason, I have no half-moons on my nails. My doctor told me it was just an idiosyncracy I have (sometimes it can be indicative of a medical problem). I want to try the bare half-moon look but didn't know if I could without looking like a dorklehose.

With color on your nails, nobody knows the difference--they just see a lovely, unique manicure :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Picked up a lipstick/nail polish set at Dollar Tree by Aziza in Ruby. Both are a nice red and for a buck for both, can't beat it. Was disappointed, yet I still keep trying L'oreal, in the nail polishes in the Some Like it Scarlett line. Had to apply 3-4 coats and each shade I used still came out more magenta than red. What is it with me and L'oreal colors changing on me? Aziza I use one coat. I generally use polish only for a pedicure, guys like it. When I have a professional pedicure about once a year, I ask for the only red she has (hey, it's in Central Florida, whaddya want?) OPI Big Apple Red. When a pro does it, I get my fingernails done red, too. Too lazy to do it myself is the real reason.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
With color on your nails, nobody knows the difference--they just see a lovely, unique manicure :)

It is a very unique look, but it is one of the very few vintage styles I have come across that my initial reaction was "I don't care for that look at all!" Actually, I think that is still my reaction.

Not sure why, I think it would cause me to pick at my nailpolish.

texasgirl

One Too Many
VargasGirl said:
I would like to find the Loreal Limited Edition nail color and lipsticks people have mentioned, but no one seems to carry it anymore, not even on eBay. Am I out of luck? How long ago did you buy yours?

They opened a new Ulta right by me last week and they were fully stocked with the "Scarlett" limited edition products. But the polishes just looked like normal reds to me. I use the OPI I'm not Really a Waitress, that's my favorite. I'm not sure about the matching lipstick, they must have stopped making those.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps I'm just having an "off" day--but what is OPI?

OPI is just a brand of nail polish.

It is a very unique look, but it is one of the very few vintage styles I have come across that my initial reaction was "I don't care for that look at all!" Actually, I think that is still my reaction.

Not sure why, I think it would cause me to pick at my nailpolish.

Tt actually makes sense--the tips and area closest to your cuticles chip the fastest anyway, I find.

I think it is an unusual look but I often receive compliments on it :)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
OPI is just a brand of nail polish.

Tt actually makes sense--the tips and area closest to your cuticles chip the fastest anyway, I find.

I think it is an unusual look but I often receive compliments on it :)

"Just a brand of nail polish" she says! :p OPI is described by many ladies of my acquaintance to be the absolute BEST. As I rarely wear nail polish, I really couldn't say whether I agree or not.

--Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy