Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
As far as finger nail polish goes, I love OPI as well. I cheat when it comes to my nails, they chip so darn easily and with kids...just don't have the time. I go to the drugstore down the street, buy the fake french manicure nails, glue those puppies on, and wahlah.....instant beautiful nails! It's funny cause all the time people are wowing over them when it cost me maybe five bucks for them ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Decodoll, your nails look great!

And what a fab link! See, that's basically the turidich book for free right there lol

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I did my nails vintage style yesterday using those tip guides they sell for french manicures. Came out pretty well. I had tried with a different brand of tip guides a few years ago and just ended up with a mess, but these worked very easily.
{{...SNIP...}}

They do look swell, decodoll! If it's not too much trouble...what was the "good" brand of tip guides you used?

Etienne

A-List Customer
Decodoll, I am curious about what kind of job you have. Your clothing and general grooming looks so cute and vintage and I'm impressed you wear it on a regular basis. Your nails look great! --Etienne

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks. :) That's so sweet. I manage a medical practice. Most of our patients remember seamed stockings from when all women wore them, so they love it. Plus, being in San Francisco, I think I can manage to get away with dressing outside the norm more than in some other areas.

J

jp*81

Has anyone heard of Paris Nails?

I read this reference to them, but they don't show a picture.

"The most unusual technique that I could find were referred to as Paris Nails. They were deep pink at the edges with a paler pink in the center of each nail."

http://beauty.about.com/cs/1920sbeauty/p/20nails.htm

I have seen the cuban manicures with the free edge and moon unpainted or painted white and the nail bed painted red, mauve, etc.

Just wanted to know if anyone has painted their nails like this or has a picture of the nails.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm,well, the source is from Vintage Face. Maybe someone here with this book could post a link if they have a pic of it in the book? It'd be interesting to see.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The 1940s manicure...

I'm looking for some help getting my nails to look right with my vintage clothing and uniforms. Right now I wear them about medium length and rounded/slightly pointy. Usually I just use a whitening pencil under the tips and wear a clear polish or strengthener. But, particularly for evening events, I'd really like to start using some color. I have short fingers and I just cannot get red polish to look good on me, no matter what I try. What other polish colors were popular in the 40s? When I do wear colored polish, it is usually a very light pink or beige. Would leaving the lunula area unpolished be appropriate with lighter colors of polish?

Also, what is the correct shape for 1940s style nails? I know that square and squoval are very popular these days, but many of the 40s magazines I have show women with super pointy talons. I'm not exactly sure what's right.

Thanks!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Does anyone know if French Manicures were even used then? I really prefer this to color, once again because of my job, it's best to have natural looking nails.

I've always heard that French manicures came about in the 1970s sometime. I did read somewhere that in the 30s they had something very similar to the French manicure, though, where they buffed the nail with some type of pink powder, and then used a whitening cream under the tips. I use a whitening pencil under the tips of mine, and then a clear polish, so I can only guess that is a similar look? Kind of a more "natural" French manicure, I guess?

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Vintage-inspired nail polish

I know there is a thread going about red lipstick shades, but I haven't seen one about polish. I always think of red when I think of the Golden Era, but I know other colors were used, of course. But it just so happens that my favorite is red, I'm Not Really a Waitress by OPI to be exact. I first tried it when getting a manicure and picked it up by chance, all I knew is I wanted a red for once. I instantly loved it, and it was the only time in my life taking a chance like that panned out! What are your favorites shades?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well, I know this is meant to be about other shades than red, but I have to mention that 'Redly Nightshade' by Max Factor is a classic red polish.

I don't really like polish on my hands unless it's a really special occassion, but I wore the red a while ago and it look great.

Otherwise, a deep maroon is nice. I have one from Boots the chemist called 'Black Tulip' (a copy of the YSL one a few years back) which is nice. One coat is about the right colour but more makes it come up darker.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I usually wear a shade of red or wine--right now it's OPI's It's a Doozi Says Suzi.

Other faves include:

OPI I'm Not Really a Waitress, Chick Flick Cherry, Friar Friar Pants on Fire, Double Decker Red, and The Thrill of Brazil.

I have to be careful as I am allergic to many brands of nail polish--OPI is one of the few I can wear.

For those of you who want to try the bare half moon look, I suggest picking up a set of French manicure guide stickers, which work perfectly for this purpose as well.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Half moon?

jitterbugdoll said:
I usually wear a shade of red or wine--right now it's OPI's It's a Doozi Says Suzi.

For those of you who want to try the bare half moon look, I suggest picking up a set of French manicure guide stickers, which work perfectly for this purpose as well.

I have heard about the half moon look in a book I have about vintage makeup and hair. Was this always done in the 40's era, or did they paint the whole nail as well? Where did this start and what was the purpose? I have never tried it, as it seems like a big pain in the hiney to do and I can't imagine that it would look all the great on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy