Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

swinggal

One Too Many
Well done and beautiful!
X
BD

Lovely! Next time though, ask them to make your nails more pointed. The square nail shape is a very modern thing - really began in the 70s. Nails were always rounded or pointed in the 20s through to the 60s.

1930s Cutex ad with tip and moons bare with sharp tips

1937CutexAD.jpg

1930s nails

4142298510_82deeeb940.jpg

Early to mid 40s nails on Dita (pointed,moons bare)

dita.jpg

Mid 40s - totally painted and rounded/pointed

7wch6s391x7j07.jpg

Early 50s nails - fully painted pointed

6a00d83451ccbc69e20105370a652a970b-400wi

Last edited:

stardust

New in Town
Lovely! Next time though, ask them to make your nails more pointed. The square nail shape is a very modern thing - really began in the 70s. Nails were always rounded or pointed in the 20s through to the 60s.

Swinggal, I'm from Perth too - Do you do your nails yourself? Or could you possibly reccomend a nail salon that would know how to do half moons? Last time I asked the technician just said "I dont know how to do that" and said nothing more about it :rolleyes:

swinggal

One Too Many
Hi Stardust. I just do them myself. I would never go get a manicure because right now they are obsessed with the square nail thing and it's all they know how to do. Rounded (or pointed nails for 30s) is a must for a vintage nail style anything before the 60s. I just file my nails into shape myself and use paper re-enforcements to do the moons. :) Cheap and effective.

Just cover the moon with them, paint, dry, peel them off and then I usually put a clear coat on top. If I'm doing the 30s look i cover the very tips with the reinforcements as well as the moon.

You just have to make sure that you push the cuticle right down or remove it first. Hope this helps.

503380-paper-reinforcements.jpg

Smartmouth

New in Town
Hi Trix, I also don't have the lifestyle for long nails, I keep them short and oval. I fell in love with the half-moon manicure & I get it done at a salon, I haven't even attempted to do it myself. I always have to show them pictures of it, they never know how to do them. As much as I love it though, polish doesn't last for more than a day without chipping on me, so I found the upkeep to be impossible. I save it for occasions now :)

lareine

A-List Customer
I had that stuff [Shellac] on for my wedding and it lasted through the two week honeymoon as well. I loved that it didn't budge or rub off on anything. I wish I could have that manicure all the time and it's so cool that they were able to make it work with the half moons.
Shellac is great, isn't it? I bought a cheap UV lamp from Hong Kong and have been doing my own nails with Shellac for months now. I love how long it lasts without chipping, and how well it keeps its shine. Haven't tried a vintage style manicure with it yet but now I am interested in giving it a go!

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
I know Maybelline had one called Minty that is very similiar to OPI's Mermaid Tears, but I am not sure it they carry it anymore :( It was a 50 second fast dry too!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's been two weeks since I had my nails shellacked, and while I loved it, it's starting to grow out and chip at the bottom. That's fine, but the great nail salon I raved about before will to charge me to take it off :mad: I've since discovered that taking it off myself is a real pain in the rear. I've bought pure acetone (if this doesn't do it, nothing will), and will soak my nails in olive oil afterwards.

Anyone else had this experience?

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
It's been two weeks since I had my nails shellacked, and while I loved it, it's starting to grow out and chip at the bottom. That's fine, but the great nail salon I raved about before will to charge me to take it off :mad: I've since discovered that taking it off myself is a real pain in the rear. I've bought pure acetone (if this doesn't do it, nothing will), and will soak my nails in olive oil afterwards.

From what I understand, you'll need to break the seal on the gel by buffing off the shiny finish and soak them off in a bowl. Not sure if the acetone will work but its worth a try. If not, check out a Sally's Beauty to see if they have the remover for that gel system. They've got the Harmony Gelish Gel system but I'm not sure about the rest.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wore acrylic nails for years, and I've had the gel/shellac manicures and seen them removed. I've even taken off my own acrylics several times. It takes a little bit of patience, but can be done easily and it is free to DIY it!

100% acetone will do it. It is the same process as removing acrylic or gel nails, except much faster. Pour some of the acetone into a glass bowl and soak your nails for 5-10 minutes. By this point the gel/shellac should be coming loose and flaky. Then just buff away what comes loose or gently push it off with an orange stick. Be warned that when you take your nails out of the acetone, the gel will re-harden somewhat, so you need to either work quickly, or use the orange stick *in* the bowl while your fingers soak. You can also soak a cotton ball in the acetone, set it on your nail, and wrap foil around it and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, although I've always had better/faster luck with the bowl method. Make sure to wash your hands well afterward and use a good hand and cuticle cream, as the acetone is pretty drying.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ladies. The acetone did work, and I used the bowl method forthworthgal mentioned. I wasn't able to buff it off, though - I had to use the edge of my metal nail file to scrape it off, and it took some hard scrapin'. Surprisingly, most of the shellac came off without damaging my nails, and the olive oil really brought the moisture back. I buffed and filed them down and painted them with a shimmery colour to disguise the uneven surface.

Overall I'm happy with how it worked.

Last edited:

crwritt

One Too Many
Here's my attempt at the vintage style half moon manicure.
320165_1498648363206_1744062716_772505_6132391_n.jpg

I used some little stickers from the dollar store, cut in half, for stencils. I haven't had polish or anything on my nails for a couple of years. Prior to that, I was getting them done in gel. Last time I went for a manicure they were pushing that shellac. It impressed me as nearly identical to gel, but with color. I declined because I'd given up that sort of thing.So much expenditure
every two weeks if you like to keep it nice.
We'll see how this fun vintage manicure stands up to today's project, assembling solar panels.

crwritt

One Too Many
Thanks ladies. The acetone did work, and I used the bowl method forthworthgal mentioned. I wasn't able to buff it off, though - I had to use the edge of my metal nail file to scrape it off, and it took some hard scrapin'. Surprisingly, most of the shellac came off without damaging my nails, and the olive oil really brought the moisture back. I buffed and filed them down and painted them with a shimmery colour to disguise the uneven surface.

Overall I'm happy with how it worked.

Last time I soaked off acrylic nails I went a step further than the acetone/cotton ball/ foil trick, and put rubber gloves on over
all that. It worked really well, the acetone didn't evaporate as fast, and everything came right off.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I had acrylic nails (once). I don't if it would work for others, but when I wanted them off, I used sewing thread to speed up things. Once I got a bit loose at the base of the nail, I "see-sawed" thread underneath until I got the nail off. Don't know if that will work with the shellacked nails, but I thought I'd mention it :)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I just pulled mine off.. they were not made for heavy work I had to do these days..
The removal was like this: I took the nail cleaned
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk...ual-ended-cuticle-pusher-and-nail-cleaner.jpg
..anything like that..

..and jerked the damned things off. lol

(Don't get me wrong, I liked them on me.. but there was something wrong with them.. air bubble or something.. and I had lot of work to do.. nails were not included in it) ;)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Here's my attempt at the vintage style half moon manicure.
320165_1498648363206_1744062716_772505_6132391_n.jpg

I used some little stickers from the dollar store, cut in half, for stencils. I haven't had polish or anything on my nails for a couple of years. Prior to that, I was getting them done in gel. Last time I went for a manicure they were pushing that shellac. It impressed me as nearly identical to gel, but with color. I declined because I'd given up that sort of thing.So much expenditure
every two weeks if you like to keep it nice.
We'll see how this fun vintage manicure stands up to today's project, assembling solar panels.

That looks really nice, you have done a good job of it! Did you use the hole reinforcing stickers for the half moon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum