Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Nurse's Uniforms

Raegan

New in Town
I found this place while searching for hair tips. You all know so much about this era...I'm jealous. I finally decided to join and hopefully some of your knowledge will rub off on me. Around here if I talk about anything like this I get laughed at.

I was hoping some of you could help me with something. I start my clinicals soon and since I can't wear the whites yet, I would at least like to wear a nice uniform. I've been trying to find a pattern for vintage nurse uniforms, or a place that makes reproductions to order since as a student I have to wear royal blue.

I'm hoping to find a dress with an A-line skirt. All of the patterns I've found have tight fitted skirts and sleeves and I don't think that would be easy to work in.

Also, does anyone have any idea what kind of material their uniforms were made of? I know my mom has to be careful what she wears under her whites or it shows through because the material is so thin.

If anyone has any information they could share with me about this I would be very appreciative. :)

Vanessa

One Too Many
Hi there! I'm not as familiar with the civilian nursing uniforms, although I imagine they can't be much different - but take a look at this site which is very detailed about uniforms for the different women's service organizations.

Raegan

New in Town
Thanks!

Wow, that's a great website, very detailed and very interesting. I got a pretty good idea of what kind of pattern I'm looking for. Thank you very much!

Just wondering, are you a reenactor? That seems like it would be a lot of fun.

decodoll

Practically Family
You might want to look for Simplicity 9978:

1.jpg

It's out of print, but I bet it comes up on ebay sometimes. I haven't made it...been planning to make the nurse pattern for years as a halloween costume, but I know the woman who designed and drafted the pattern. She's very involved with the Art Deco Society here in San Francisco and a vintage dresser herself, so it's probably pretty authentic for a modern Simplicity pattern.

Raegan

New in Town
What a great pattern! I've got ebay set to notify me when one gets listed. I hope I can find one.

I'm so excited, I was searching ebay for that pattern and I actually found it. $4 and now I can make my uniforms for school. Thank you for your help!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Raegan said:
Wow, that's a great website, very detailed and very interesting. I got a pretty good idea of what kind of pattern I'm looking for. Thank you very much!

Just wondering, are you a reenactor? That seems like it would be a lot of fun.

I am and it is! I check with that site once or twice a week. It's been very helpful for me. I believe it belongs to someone on the Lounge.

decodoll

Practically Family
Raegan said:
What a great pattern! I've got ebay set to notify me when one gets listed. I hope I can find one.

I'm so excited, I was searching ebay for that pattern and I actually found it. $4 and now I can make my uniforms for school. Thank you for your help!

Oh good! I'm so glad to have been able to help and that you found it so easily! :)

Raegan

New in Town
That's a great price for uniforms. I told my mom about and she's going to get one from there. I could wear the medium blue at work as an aide, but during clinicals, students have to wear the royal blue color. I'm not too thrilled about it either because the shade isn't a very nice one. But I really do like them.

And thanks for all the help ladies, I really appreciate it!

decodoll

Practically Family
Those uniforms are 65% polyester. The result will probably be lighter than whatever colour is indicated on the bottle of dye. Plus, if they used 100% polyester thread, it most likely won't take the dye at all.

Raegan

New in Town
I had no idea that the type of material could be a problem when trying to dye clothes. That would explain why after 2 hours the bridesmaid dresses I tried to dye for halloween this year came out the same color they went in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24