Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

Often times with 500's, if the ringer's failing the wire on G on the network block needs to be moved to L1, it's a quick fix and was the only issue with about 30 of my 500 phones.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
AtomicEraTom said:
Often times with 500's, if the ringer's failing the wire on G on the network block needs to be moved to L1, it's a quick fix and was the only issue with about 30 of my 500 phones.

I rewired the entire set up in about 8 different configurations. Non of them worked. I pulled a bunch of different diagrams and I wasn't able to get anything. Since its a '62, could it be that the ringer motor is toast? Is there a way to check this?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Atomic said:
I rewired the entire set up in about 8 different configurations. Non of them worked. I pulled a bunch of different diagrams and I wasn't able to get anything. Since its a '62, could it be that the ringer motor is toast? Is there a way to check this?

Test the ringer with an ohmmeter across the terminals -- if the needle doesn't kick, the coil is open. A very rare thing to happen, but sometimes the wiring can corrode.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Going to call Phoneco and find if they have the rubber bumper that fits around the base of my AE34.

Funny thing, in their catalog they have a photo of an AE34 and it lists a price over $300. And mentions when available. ;)

Guess I scored a somewhat rare AE. I'm really starting to like this phone a lot!

I find Phoneco's prices to be a bit high on their actual phones. I'm meaning to take a trip there, they're only a bit north of here. Their catalog is fantastic!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yes, I agree... their phones can be a bit high but, they tend to fetch prices much the same on ebay now and again.

I'm waiting for the rubber gasket and black cloth line cord for the AE34... ordered it yesterday, should be here this week!

Planning to visit the Congress Hotel this Saturday while we'll be in Tucson AZ. John Dillinger stayed there before the fire there in '34. They have a fully operational switch board they use to connect calls to the rooms! I'm taking my AE34 along and use it in the room... The rooms are all '30s period for the most part and have "repro" telephones... going to switch it out for one night and use the AE34.

I'll be sure to post photos.:D

Atomic

One of the Regulars
IMG_0095.jpg

The wiring in this picture is how it was when I opened it. I've tried moving a bunch of different configurations and haven't gotten anywhere.

There is a little tiewire like piece below just slightly below the gongs, it can be moved one way or the other, move it to the opposite slot of where it is now, that can help. This is a straight line ringer and will work with modern phone lines.

Did you try G to L1, that usually does the trick.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
AtomicEraTom said:
There is a little tiewire like piece below just slightly below the gongs, it can be moved one way or the other, move it to the opposite slot of where it is now, that can help. This is a straight line ringer and will work with modern phone lines.

Did you try G to L1, that usually does the trick.

I'll give it a shot in a few days. I'm going out of town for a bit and will give it a try when I get back. Thanks for helping me out!

Bingles

A-List Customer
Hi folks!

Though I'm more of a fan of the art deco phones (I adore my WE 202)... my mom bought me a 500 model for my bedroom in mint green. The only problem is I don't want it to ring (it scares the hell out of me when I'm sleeping). Is there any way to disconnect the ringer without ruining the ringing mechanism? Eventually, I may want to reconnect the ringer.

Bingles said:
Is there any way to disconnect the ringer without ruining the ringing mechanism? Eventually, I may want to reconnect the ringer.

Yes, there is but I don't know the extact wire to unconnect. In the good old days before they came up with that modular plug all phones were wired directly. I think there are 3 or 4 wires, one of the wires is the one that tells the ringer to ring. If it is cut the ringer does not ring. This was a "Big Deal" because most phones were rented from the phone company and you were billed for how many phones you had, even if they were on the same line. The phone company could count the phones in service by the ringers that rang. So if you had one phone in the house with an operating ringer, and had picked up two old phones some place and hooked them in, if those ringers were not hooked up the phone company only charged for having one phone instead of 3. It's complicated but people used to have to do this stuff all the time. A hold over was that people like my parents had one phone in the house, in the kitchen, until sometime in the 1990's! old habits die hard.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One Ring Or Two

John in Covina said:
Yes, there is but I don't know the extact wire to unconnect. In the good old days before they came up with that modular plug all phones were wired directly. I think there are 3 or 4 wires, one of the wires is the one that tells the ringer to ring. If it is cut the ringer does not ring. This was a "Big Deal" because most phones were rented from the phone company and you were billed for how many phones you had, even if they were on the same line. The phone company could count the phones in service by the ringers that rang. So if you had one phone in the house with an operating ringer, and had picked up two old phones some place and hooked them in, if those ringers were not hooked up the phone company only charged for having one phone instead of 3. It's complicated but people used to have to do this stuff all the time. A hold over was that people like my parents had one phone in the house, in the kitchen, until sometime in the 1990's! old habits die hard.
Almost forgot about that moment in history. There were usually quite a few wires in the wall, but all were backups except for two or three I think! I still have the last phone I got from Mountain Bell, my first push button, with the break up, they must have just forgot, or it was old technology. Thats the phone I pull out when I need to trouble shoot, always works!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The beauty of vintage WE phones is that there's no need to ever cut any wire. All the internal connections are made with spade lugs and single-slot screws. Just unscrew the lead in question, put some electrical tape over the lug to prevent it accidentally shorting anywhere else on the phone, and you're done. No cutting, no soldering, no fuss. Western Electric knew how to manufacture service-friendly products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore