Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Pics in your vintage threads!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good point MK. Lets see some more outfits. ;)

Root.

PS. Here is one of me and one of our newest members, Remmi! Taken at a USO dance last Saturday. Enjoy.
1161699img3mc.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Doll,
Just poking fun at everybody. No offense intended and I officially apologize to all the squares and hedonists I may have offended. That being said, a quick browse of John O'Hara's early novels, Tiajuana bibles, or certain pre-code movies (The Public Enemy and Ladykiller come to mind) will reveal the lewd, "tasteless," and dirty minds many folks had already evolved by the 1930's and clamoured for in popular culture.
Point is, it's fine to suggest that posts run clean, but to suggest that the 30's and 40's were a more "tasteful" period full of glamor and class is unrealistic and overly romantic. Yes, the clothes and cars and general look of everything was much cooler back then, but remember we are also referring to an era ripe with back alley abortions, unchecked drinking and smoking, world-wide economic depresssion, lynchings, rampant Nazism, and just as much grit as we'll find in the modern world.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
One last off-topic post...

rubyredlocks said:
Besides,I have not received one catcall and I feel left out,humph!LOL!

A sense of humor is a true thing of beauty...and apparently, rarity, as well! As I have never been one to dismiss the sympathetic request of a lady in my presence, please consider yourself - most respectfully - catcalled. :)

And now, back to the clothes...Veni, Vedi, Vintage!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Aaaah,sailors! A personal fave.How I love a man in uniform,quite handsome.

Johnnysan-You made my day!I do believe I'll have an extra spring in my step all week.You're a peach!

MissTayva

Wild Root said:
Yes, it wasn't a photo of you I saw that was questionable; it was some of the ones of other models that you posted were a little much. I have to say that the photos of you with your friend in the 48 Chevy were on par with the thread. Say, who's car is that any way?

Carry on!

Root.

I can't remember the names of the owners of the cars! I just know it was Mike and Mike Jr., haha! There were two identical cars. They were gorgeous-- photos just don't do them any justice. Both of them were completely stock-- not one thing had been changed on them from when they were manufactured.
Both cars had cigarette pack holders and pipe holders inside-- complete with vintage pipes and cigarettes!
The photographer was the one who found them. He is the feature editor of Low Rider magazine, so he has plenty of connections :)

I am particurlarly found out of the outfit I am wearing. I was lucky enough to have a wardrobe stylist for this shoot. You ladies would have gasped over all the gorgeous outfits he had... the swimsuit in the photos were also his. He has an astounding collection of 1930s-1960s clothing. It makes me sick, though. He picked up all of this fantastic stuff on eBay... most of it for $30 and under!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, no offense taken.

However, and forgive me for straying off track again, my point is that for the most part, most people in those eras had the good sense to keep their less-then-savory lifestyles behind closed doors--and there's nothing wrong with doing so.
Which, incidentally, you made mention of yourself in your last post.

Now, let's see some more photos ;)

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
Tayva--those are really lovely photos, just lovely. You look as if you've changed your look a bit--it's very nice!

Lauren--you and Daniel are a darling couple. Very cute photos!

I do agree with the last two posts regarding content. Our favorite eras were known for their overall classic allure, which is what sets them apart from most modern vamps of today and made them appropriate for a wide audience.

Thanks!
Yep, I chopped the locks and grew out my fringe. It takes a little more effort to style now... but so worth it. Much more versatile!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Root, LOVE the pic! Do you have any more? That and the South Pacific Fort MacArthur events sounded so cool! I wish I had more 40's and more time so I could have gone!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I do enlisted! And Matt, I don't have a Navy Officer's uniform I only have the Pinks and Greens You silly. You know my closet better then I do Matt.

Lauren, you wish you had 40's? I thought you were anti 40's :p It's easier to find then 20's and early 30's!

All the best,

Root.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
No, sir. I am not anti-40's. I just like 30's better. There is definately some very tasteful 40's stuff. And some very awful 40's stuff. I tried on a jacket yesterday, for example, that made me look like a football player! But some ladies just are meant to wear 40's and they pull it off so beautifully. But 30's suits my straight figure better.

I wish I had more early 40's stuff, especially since there are so many more 40's events than 30's events. And I love 40's a la Barbara Stanwyk and Katharine Hepburn. Those were two classy ladies!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Good gravy! Root, you and Remmi look absolutely divine in your uniforms. I have to confess, hitherto the only man I have ever found truly <i>handsome</i> in uniform was my grandpa...you two are giving him a run for his money!

Just fabulous.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
I wish I had more early 40's stuff, especially since there are so many more 40's events than 30's events. And I love 40's a la Barbara Stanwyk and Katharine Hepburn. Those were two classy ladies!

Lauren, you should go see "Tea at Five" up in Pasadena -- it's a one-woman show about Katherine Hepburn and it is just wonderful. I know I've already plugged it, but it was just so good!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I hate to disappoint you ladies, but we're not really in the navy. Those are just original WWII uniforms that get dug out of the closet for such events. I do have to confess, I really enjoy putting it on and carrying on the Navy history from my Mom's side of the family.

So, you're not anti 40's Lauren? Well, I'm well a wear that the earlier stuff works better on you. Say, you could maybe find some good early 40's patterns and make something! You're really good at doing that. But, suits are very hard to make if you want a suit that is. I was only kidding you any way. ;)

Take care,

Root.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Root that suit costs a lot. Now... if I were to buy it and... let's say it fit you... Would you be interested in trading a certain suit that sits in a certain cedar chest in a certain room in a certain area of Monrovia, California?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24