Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sailor Dresses

MrsJingles

New in Town
I'm dying to find a wiggle sailor dress or pattern, but I'm not finding much luck... Do any of you have sailor outfits? What do they look like? Where did you get em?

Let's have a sailor blowout!

Here's my favorites:

9i68at.jpg

2570710447_9c71b5fed4.jpg

And my absolute favorite (obviously):

Navy-2.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Quite a few of us here share your love of sailor dresses. I don't happen to have one. I'm also hoping to find one.

Sailor patterns do tend to be rather sought after, but you can find them, both modern and vintage.

Here are a few vintage ones you could look for (sorry no pics :( ):
Hollywood 1158, Advance 8665. McCall 4670(40s/pants), McCall's 4142, McCall's 4395, Simplicity 3673 (as seen in the most wanted patterns thread), Simplicity 4350 (more 60s), Simplicity 2331 (my personal favorite)

Good luck with your hunt!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Samantha.. you look beautiful.. I love the outfit you made!

I too have been on the hunt for a sailor pattern.. but no luck. Hopefully when my sewing skills get better I can create something :D

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
There was a seller on eBay

Who used to make and sell black and red sailor dresses. Might be worth checking there. I'll see if I can find the name of that seller.

MrsJingles

New in Town
retrogirl1941 said:
Heres my sailor outfit I made:

P7030068.jpg

For the shorts I used the folkware pattern for hollywood pants nad the top I drafted off of my husbands 1930s sailor uniforms. The hat military issue. Hope this helps you.

Samantha

Beautiful!!

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Okay, who is this ebay woman? I tried searching Toprunway but couldn't find. Could someone PM or post her Ebay name?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

Miss Molly

New in Town
Bettie Page Clothing do two variations on a very cute sailor dress! One's a wiggle dress and the other is more of a circle skirt style. They're navy blue with white trim on the collar I think, very pretty! Have a look, I think they have their own site. Miss Molly

texasgirl

One Too Many
Here's a dress I won on ebay. The seller said it was a USO dress. I posted it in another forum-women/WWII forum, and they don't think it is. Oh well, it's still really cute. I think I could still wear it to a WWII event as a civilian? Any thoughts?

a944_1.jpg

a926_1.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Middy Blouse

Just FYI, in case you want to Google for more info on the subject, outfits like this are traditionally know as Middy Blouses (middy short for midshipman).
Originally little boys in the late 19th century were dressed like this, but the fashion soon became popular among girls as well. And there are obviously an infinite number of variations on the theme.

Mojito

One Too Many
It's a very cute dress, TexasGirl! I've had a "thing" for sailor style since I was a kiddie (perhaps no wonder, given what occupation I wound up in!), but only ever owned one sailor dress, a silk one given to me buy an aunt. When I was 12 years old, my mother and I hunted all over Thailand one vacation for one, but couldn't find just what I wanted. In more recent years, I didn't take the opportunity to buy a 20s middy blouse in excellent condition when one was available...I've regretted that ever since.

A few years ago, there was a lovely exhibition on "Sailor Style" at the Australian National Maritime Museum - everything from eighteenth century art work and uniforms to Chanel's 20th century creations. The Musee national de la Marine in Paris will be running an exhibition this year on a similar theme, Les marins font la mode (25 Feb - 26 July 2009), which will explore the dialogue between naval attire and fashion. I understand that there will be couture work exhibited. Look forward to seeing the exhibition catalogue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo