Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Salt & Pepper Shakers!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
saltpepper.jpg

I would love to collect many more of these made in Japan anthropomorphic types but they are very expensive and hard to find!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I had to drop my pet off at the vet for surgery this morning (it went well) and on the way home (while he was at the vet) I stopped at a secondhand shop and picked these cute pigs up for $3.00. They have a "Japan" stamp and cork bottoms. They were labeled as old "cat" S & P shakers!

pigs.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I once went to the seaside in Maine

And there was this very cute cottage on the way to the seashore, where you could almost touch hands to either wall.

This very nice (and sharp) lady had wall-to-wall salt and pepper shakers. She had hundreds and hundreds of sets displayed, most from pre-1960. I looked very hard to purchase something for my mother, but her prices were very high and absolutely in line with ebay's highest prices. :(

PrettySquareGal - I LOVE those S&Ps!
Feraud - Don't you want to throw a Party every time you look at your wonderful Tiki S&P's?

VB

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Strange, I haven't seen vintage salt & pepper shakers like these before, have only seen those late 1800s (kinda boring) ones.

These are all so cool!!!

Are the ceramic ones usually factory made? I could see this being a popular ceramic hobbyist project in days gone by.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
And there was this very cute cottage on the way to the seashore, where you could almost touch hands to either wall.

This very nice (and sharp) lady had wall-to-wall salt and pepper shakers. She had hundreds and hundreds of sets displayed, most from pre-1960. I looked very hard to purchase something for my mother, but her prices were very high and absolutely in line with ebay's highest prices. :(

PrettySquareGal - I LOVE those S&Ps!
Feraud - Don't you want to throw a Party every time you look at your wonderful Tiki S&P's?

VB

Betty- which town??

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
Strange, I haven't seen vintage salt & pepper shakers like these before, have only seen those late 1800s (kinda boring) ones.

These are all so cool!!!

Are the ceramic ones usually factory made? I could see this being a popular ceramic hobbyist project in days gone by.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

I'm assuming they were factory made in Japan....anyone know for sure?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My late wife collected these, so I have a particular attachment to them. These birds all have corks in the fannies. There's one complete set in the middle, and on either side they're orphans.
Turkeyshakers.jpg

I also have a couple of cute egg cups. I think the art of the perfect soft boiled egg is slowly dying. I've never actually done the full routine of plopping my boiled egg in the cup, gently cracking it round the top, lifting the shell and scooping out the insides in these particular cups. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. When I was small my great aunt gave me a big white egg cup with a rooster on the side. Around the top it said "My love will stop when this rooster crow." Sadly, it's gone. But I still have the 1939 World's Fair spoon she gave me.
Chickeneggcups.jpg

The Shirt

Practically Family
My grandmother had hundreds of them. Each grandchild got one set after she died (105 of us). I have yet to recieve mine from my parents. :( I look forward to seeing people's collections. I can almost smell my grandfather's pipe as I am pressing my nose up against the glass of her display case.

Dagwood

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
...Each grandchild got one set after she died (105 of us).

Holy guacamole!! Forget the salt and pepper shakers; I'm dying to see a family photo!

P.S. Great set of salt and pepper shakers, Leaette.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy