Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage showgirls

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
ziegfeld1.jpg

I love old showgirl costumes. Ziegfeld girls, burlesque stars, Salome dancers, anything. I was given the Ziegfeld Follies paper dolls as a small child, and I think it permanently warped my aesthetic.

Does anyone know where I can find more pictures? Is there a book of photos? I'm not really looking for modern girls in old-style costumes right now; I want the real thing. (see above).

xoxo,
BV

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
This seller on the bay has a collage of photos,
lunagirl-images and she has a great site too,
http://www.summertownsun.com/lunagirl/index.htm
I also hunt for vintage photos and postcards, victorian postcards and such on the bay.

If you do a google image search for vintage showgirls or vintage bellydance or dancers, edwardian bellydance, ect.. you get lots of pics. There are some beautiful pics, I just love the coloring on them too!
I'm glad you brought this up because this has been on my "list" to buy for some time.
http://www.summertownsun.com/lunagirl/Vintage-Ephemera-Collage-Sheets-Volume-Two.htm
Nikki

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
OOoohh... I saw "Pretty Things". It was really good.

I'll go with the obvious Gypsy Rose Lee. I adore her. I don't care if people think she was a b-word. She was a pioneer. Same as Martha Stewart. Gypsy was a female Hugh Hefner. She rocked. She was seductive when everyone else was bumping and grinding. Annnnnd she didn't have to take it all off to have the wolves howling.

My little personal favorite fact. Her and her sister (June Havoc) adored Chinese Cresteds. June was one of the first Americans to revitalize the limited AKC breed. Well .... it wasn't AKC til the 90's but still. That happens to be my fav dog. I've got 2 babies right now but we've had 2 other in the past. I love how the nekid dancing lady loved the nekid dogs.

PS: of course one of my first little girls was named Gypsy.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Ditas book is pretty good...Burlesque and the art of the tease or something. Pretty coffee table book.
When I was about 16 I purchased a lot of 40s and 50s stagegirl outfits. Corsets etc -I used to wear them with jeans when I was skinny! (moooons ago)
Sadly, I had a disreputable landlord in my first yr at Uni and they were stolen during the holidays. I was so gutted.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
You could UUH you could UUH you could UUH UUH UUH!!! Famous song from Gypsy, I have the soundtrack and sing it in my car!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany