Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Chrome

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
Check the shoes my father's wearing in this photo from the mid-1950s. I'm not sure if these qualify as spectators -- I suspect not -- but they're two-toned and, I think, kind of cool.

I don't think I've seen any quite like them, and I'd be interested in hearing from any of your experts who might have some thoughts to offer on them.

dadshoe3.jpg

You mean shoes like in the near bottom of the link?
http://www.oldwoogies.com/store.htm

Derek WC

Banned
Derek WC said:
I am not sure if these count as spectators, and this is probably the only picture of them on the entire internet.
Dead_Mans_Shoes.jpg

They are from an episode of the twilight zone. Here is the episode with more looks at them: http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twilight_zone/video/index.php?pid=UDQjwyF_oTUB818vddB_GoY86l200sg5
They are loafers if you can't pick that out in the picture. I've always wanted these shoes ever since I found them. If I had enough money, I'd have Indy Magnoli make them.
:eek:fftopic: This was an interesting episode where the personality of the owner is transfered to who ever is wearing the shoes. A key memory on this is that the musical theme that indicates the first owner's personality has moved into the wearer is one sweet piece of "crime jazz" that is really cool.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
:D

Ten bucks at an antique store. I'm keeping these...

DSCN2903.jpg

DSCN2904.jpg

DSCN2910.jpg

Dating these is interesting. I keep thinking they are 1940s/early50s with the big white lake combo and the sole looks that way. The I see the split toe and top condition which amkes them look more modern. Sensational eitherway though totally out there but then in FLA everything goes amigo....especially for the preacher man....Gene I can see you cuttin' up the rug at the tea dance bro'...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
1940s Tan and White Specs - Recrafted

A little pricey but what the heck? The style is very 40s and recrafted to boot.:D

Gene tells me he is good for a pair of laces on his next thrifting expedicion.....

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
:eek:fftopic: One thing that strikes me about the vintage shoes is that it always seems to be that the really narrow shoes survive into the present day. I'd have to cut off 2 toes to make them fit.:eek:

I've noticed this too on eBay; I had to pass on some that were too narrow.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I suspect John that feet size are not much different today. The unsold NOS ones are basically the ones that were narrow just like today and were unsold as a result. It is interesting that Americans with all their German blood are generally taller than many European races but feet size wise they tend to be narrower. Any self respecting Pom, Aussie, Kiwi or Yarpie has at least an E (USA) fitting in width aka UK "F" (Loakles, Churchs) or "E" (C&J etc) whereas your average Yank is a D which is a narow fitting to us antipodeans and Anglo-Celts.

The shape of a foot is sometimes difficult to fit. Narrow feet tend to have longer toes and the wide part is back further than wide feet which often have shorter toes so the wider portion is closer to the toe end. I have a Norwegian father and a Danish mother.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Has anybody ever seen a pair of shoes like this that would be possible to buy, like Stacy Adams or Allan Edmonds?
I haven't seen anything like that from AE, Alden or the EU makers but I'm not that familiar with Stacy Adams. You might want inquire with them, including a photo. There are a several bespoke makers who could easily produce the look but they would be pricey. You could give FLounge member/vendor Magnoli a shout as he's been known to deal in one offs.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR