Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got the brown pair in today.

I got the brown lensed ones in today as a backup for my green lensed ones, which are pretty fragile.

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Today's

Unmarked. It took a bit of steel wool to get all the corrosion off of the frames, but now they're nice and shiny. Curved glass lenses in a smoke gray tint.
IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Very cool, Dman. Very early looking indeed. Almost reminds me of the civil war era, but I won't date them that far.

cowboy76

Suspended
ChazVanEyck said:
Ok, so I received the goggles the weekend before last, but am now just getting the chance to post a photo. So, here it is! The lenses are amber as shown previously in the photos I posted.

steamchaz009.jpg

they're safety glasses,....some have thought them to be sunglasses or driving glasses. I'm a boilermaker,....I love history,....and have been reasearching the blue collar worker world of the 30s, 40s and 50s.

nice glasses.

cowboy76

Suspended
Teekay44 said:
Here's a pair that i got off the 'bay a little time ago

100_2952.jpg

They came with the case and an original cleaning cloth that was stuffed down in the case.

100_2953.jpg

Holy crap!,....I had a pair of modern glasses when I was in high school, they looked exactly like those in the lower pic!! I wonder what happened to those??

cowboy76

Suspended
Vintage Betty said:
These might be vintage welding goggles. Thoughts anyone?

VB

you cannot weld with sunglasses.

safety glasses with a tint were commonplace in shops and industry where there might be bright ligt emmitted from an oxy-acetaline torch or grinder, etc. Welding shields were used in the mid 30s and onward, though once in a while, you'd see some guy without brains using burning goggles to weld with!!:eek: :eusa_doh: that guy probably went blind in about one year of doing that.

Early welding was known as "gas welding" much like brazing....

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got a very interesting pair in today.
Everything about them says early- but the style is something i've never seen before . Cable temples, windsor nose, BIG lenses with a curve to them, so they wrap around your face. Maybe they were car goggles?
They look very similar to these- http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-AUTO-GL...ryZ48559QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
which are AutoGlas sunglasses, and I've found Auteglas as an alternate spelling/ misspelling.
IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Dinerman's Specs.

Dinerman, no one wears sunglasses like you. You take lots of risk's with your different pairs that you wear. But each pair always looks good. You're a heck of a lot braver then me. Bravo to you.
Marty Mathis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters