Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Theaters

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Savannah Georgia has a few vintage theaters, The Lucas Theater and The Savannah Theater. The Lucas was built in 1921 and The Savannah Theater in 1818. There was also The Weis Theater, now Trustees Theater, which opened in 1946 on Broughton Street. Two, The Lucas and Trustees, are now associated with The Savannah College of Art and Design. I will try and get downtown sometime soon and post take some photos of them to post. There are a few on the links above as well.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I just discovered this thread and i am drooling! I have had a dream for years of suddenly coming into some money(Like an inheritance from some old Auntie that i never knew i had)and buying & refurbishing an old theatre. We never had anything as lovely as any of these in the little fishing village where i grew up. AS a matter of fact, we had no theatre at all.We had a travelling "Movie Guy", named Charlie that travelled around the bay with his reel to reel projector.He always had to stop half-way through the movie to change the reel and that was our opportunity to run to the little table he would have set up by the door, to buy a sandwich bag full of popcorn that he popped & bagged himself @home.The movies would be projected unto a white sheet that he pinned to the wall...I kid you not:) .. I saw "Grease" & "Saturday Night Fever" this way.Oh yeah, and the original"Texas Chainsaw Massacre":D

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Image10.jpg

This is the Virginia Theater in Champaign, IL. I lived there for 4 years until recently. It dates back to 1921. Really nice and still maintains it's historic feel. I was in the show Grease in '04 on this stage, so much more fun than in modern theaters. Before the stage performances there is an old organ that can drop down into the floor that is played, the guy who does that is awesome!
http://www.thevirginia.org/photos.htm

LadyStardust

Practically Family
These are all marvellous! I am lucky enough to have the following lovely theatre, almost quite literally around the corner. ALRIGHT, 5 minutes by car. Close enough.

[img=http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4080/converge008gx0.th.jpg]

[img=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6926/14lv4.th.jpg]

[img=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9296/carolinarj9.th.jpg]

And the inside, which is just phenomenal:
[img=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7563/carolinainteriorbc1.th.jpg]

They still show classics, usually just one or two a month, but WOW, what an experience every time. My most memorable event was going to see Gone With The Wind, after spending my whole life dreaming of seeing it on the big screen. So emotional! Most recently, I saw It's A Wonderful Life this past Tuesday. Just a beautiful time!!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
It's in my small town of Greensboro, N. Carolina, and it really stands out in the cityscape, because the town itself is on the fast track into being almost all modern-futuristic building, which I personally think are hideous, but oh well. It was built in 1927, and has so much character and personality. I have halfway joked that I would love to live there if I could!lol It really is such a wonderful remnant from the past, and I'm so thankful to have it around, and so nearby, too!! :)

P.S.- Thank you! It's my very favorite song ever.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Love all the pictures!

My most of my free weekends as an adolescent were spent at the Uptown Theater in Minneapolis, back before it was renovated. I feel really lucky that my first experience seeing so many of the classics from the 1930s and 40s was on an original big screen, usually up in the balcony. I especially liked the ladies lounge, an oval anteroom before the restroom.

Years ago the Minneapolis Institute of Arts had an exhibit that included the original architects drawings for the theater and I so wish they would have reproduced them for sale, they were marvelous.

uptown.jpg

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I found these retro photos of the local San Pedro theater, the Warner Grand:

grossman9.jpg

grossman13.jpg

The interior isn't bad either:

WG1-thm.jpg

WG5-thm.jpg
sidephoto1.jpg

I tried to find some old photos of the Dancing Waters Club before Guns and Roses and Black Flag trashed it, but no luck. Currently it is a latino dance club, and more run down than ever. Well it is more of a nightclub than a theater anyway.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Warner Theater in Erie

I am currently finishing a coffee table book on the Warner Theater in Erie. Opened in 1931 and designed by the Rapp Brothers, it is a Art Deco palace! It just underwent restorations and she looks as beautiful as the day it opened.

The book will cover its history and people's reflections on the Theater. The best will be the awesome photos of the theater and reproductions of contracts, ads, old pics and alike.

We are shooting for a early winter of '07 release date.

BRS

Check out some of the pix at: www.erieevents.com/warner.html

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Ou etes-vous, Olive bleu?

olive bleu said:
I just discovered this thread and i am drooling! I have had a dream for years of suddenly coming into some money(Like an inheritance from some old Auntie that i never knew i had)and buying & refurbishing an old theatre. We never had anything as lovely as any of these in the little fishing village where i grew up. AS a matter of fact, we had no theatre at all.We had a travelling "Movie Guy", named Charlie that travelled around the bay with his reel to reel projector.He always had to stop half-way through the movie to change the reel...":D

Wow, how interesting! Well, like you, we'd like to find an old theatre, so like-minded folks and some time to bring it back. We've been searching here --

http://cinematreasures.org/

We have a place in NS and have been looking at theatres there that could be revitalized. Etes-vous pres de Nova Scotia?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The Showboat Theatre, Ocean City, NJ. Later renamed The Surf Theatre because the "Showboat" sign blew down and it cost too much to replace such a long word! Built in 1929, if memory serves me correctly...

THEN:
vt_surf_old.jpg

NOW:
vt_surf_now.jpg

Currently known as The Surf Mall. That's the same wall you see in the vintage photo. You can still see the outline of where the screen/stage was.

The Strand, Ocean City, NJ. Opened in 1938.

THEN:
vt_strand_old.jpg

Opening day. This photo is so lovely it makes me feel all good inside!

NOW:
vt_strand_now.jpg

Terrible. Unchanged for 50 years until it was sold in 1989 to a chain. The art-deco insides were gutted to make room for 5 bland screens. Gross.

Both these theatres can be found at http://www.moorlyn.com

And two theatres that have remained almost unchanged:

vt_broadway_now.jpg

Opened in 1926, the Broadway Theatre in Pitman, NJ hasn't changed a bit (except for the marquee which I think was added in 1939!) and even still has it's original 1927 organ intact! The best part: THIS THEATER IS STILL OPEN!!
http://www.robbender.com/gallery/broadway
http://www.thebroadwaytheatre.org/

DSCF1891.jpg

The Landis Theatre In Vineland opened in 1937 with the movie Hat's Off!. It's abandoned now, but it's in the National Register Of Historic Places so it's protected from being torn down. Every now and again there's news to revitalize the theatre, but it never goes through. The outside has remained unchanged for 70 years! I saw Annie here when I was a wee gal!
http://www.vineland.org/history/landistheater/historical

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Amy Jeanne said:
The Showboat Theatre, Ocean City, NJ. Later renamed The Surf Theatre because the "Showboat" sign blew down and it cost too much to replace such a long word! Built in 1929, if memory serves me correctly...

Amy Jeanne, you really have a passion for this stuff! Are you working with a group or a theatre up in NJ?

Cynthia

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Mahinatakataka (what a mouthfull , wow lol ) Can I tell you that your signature cracks me up??? I really like it!!! as I do Dorothy Parker ;
"Brevity is the soul of lingerie" - Aint that the truth? lol

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
HadleyH said:
Mahinatakataka (what a mouthfull , wow lol ) Can I tell you that your signature cracks me up??? I really like it!!! as I do Dorothy Parker ;
"Brevity is the soul of lingerie" - Aint that the truth? lol

Hadley, had I my wits about as much as Ms. Parker did :) I would have thought of another moniker more appropriate to the motif of the lounge!

We've been to Easter Island and loved it. Mahina Taka Taka is Rapa Nuian for "full moon" and my "real" name has something to do with the moon (Cynthia). So, a mouthful about the moon!

Oh, yes, brevity, wit and.....lingerie :D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Sydney State Theatre

Please access the virtual tour link and click on to see what's described below

Virtual Tour

The State Theatre has a proud history. For generations, Sydneysiders have enjoyed countless performances ranging from full theatrical productions to solo performances.

As well as a proud working venue, the State Theatre is also a state of the art meeting and function facility. The basement levels of the theatre have been tastefully restored and transformed into a magnificent suite of rooms allowing for the widest range of corporate and social usage.

Over the years a common thread has emerged, the theatre's stately interiors and unique fixtures have long captivated patrons.

By clicking one of the options on the left-hand side of the screen, you are able to take a 360-degree view of some of the theatre's palatial interiors as well as some of our meeting and function rooms.

http://www.statetheatre.com.au/virtual_tour.html

State Theatre
Sydney, New South Wales
49 Market Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000 Australia(map)
Screens: Single Screen
Style: French Renaissance
Function: Live Theater, Movies
Seats: 2580
Chain: Unknown
Architect: John Eberson, Henry E. White
Firm: Unknown

Stunning interior view of the State Theatre

Photo courtesy of KinoCQ/Australian Cinema and Theatre SocietyThe magnificent State Theatre, located in the heart of downtown Sydney, opened on June 7, 1929 with Emil Jennings in Ernst Lubitsch's 'The Patriot.' It was then known as 'The British Empire's Greatest Theatre'. Paul Dunlavy was the debonir genius of the 4-manual console of the Wurlitzer organ, the largest outside of America. The State Theatre Orchestra was conducted by Will Prior.

Rising ten floors above the theater is the Gothic-style State Theatre Office Building, headquarters of the Greater Union Theatre Circuit. Just as they did with the plans for Sydney's Capitol Theatre in 1927, Union Theatres boss Stuart Doyle and Australian architect Henry White, returned from the USA with sketches for the new $AU800,000 theater.

What wasn't mentioned was that American architect John Eberson did the original plans and sketches for the State in association with Henry White. For all intents and purposes in Australia, it was believed that it was solely designed by White.

During the 1980s, the main auditorium was restored, although the Wurlitzer is still waiting for $AU350,000 in funds for some tender-loving-care. Hanging above the three-tiered auditorium are thirteen chandeliers, surmounted by a three-and-one-half ton crystal chandelier, the second largest cut-crystal chandelier in the world, which is suspended from the theater's Golden Dome.

The Gothic entrance hall has life-size figures of King Arthur and St. George who greet those who enter. The main foyer boasts a grand sweeping marble staircase, with mirrored and tapestry draped walls.

The foyer area is used for filming TV commercials and some feature films have used the magnificent setting. The theater has been classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW Division) for its high architectural quality and its essential heritage to the state of New South Wales.

Unfortunately, the theater no longer operates as a full-time cinema, but they do screen the occasional film for festivals. At other times it’s used for stage, concert, rock presentations, and as a convention center. The State is a self-working venue and self-guided tours using an Acoustiguide handset are available, except Sunday and Monday, or when the theater is being used.

Contributed by John Adey

And the problem of saving beautiful iconic picture theatres in the Bush (Country Areas)

http://www.nsw.nationaltrust.org.au/cinalertjuly2001.html

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mahinatakataka said:
Amy Jeanne, you really have a passion for this stuff! Are you working with a group or a theatre up in NJ?

Nope, I'm just a lover of all thing 20s and 30s, especially if it involves movies. And super-especially if touches home. Those four theatres are my favourites from the area. With help from this book:

sjmh.jpg

I'm going to one day drive around and take photos of what remains of those once-lovely palaces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21