Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

What I've noticed is that men's sizing has stayed pretty consistent over my life. I'm 6'1", 150lbs and have been since thirty years ago when I was in college. My "sizes" have been 32 waist, 33 length, 15 neck, 34 sleeve, medium fit shirt, 40L suit or sport coat. A particular brand or style might cause me to buy a 31 or 33 waist, but 90%+ of the time I'm a 32.

When I was in college, I was 6'1", 200 lbs and wore a 32 waist. 30 years later, I'm still 6'1". But that's about all that hasn't changed. Even my shoe size has increased two sizes in those years.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Are there any restaurants that serve "real" food left, the kind of food that's not tampered with in one way or another? I reckon such vintage establishments as those are a thing of the past. I don't even smell food cooking in restaurants anymore.

The reason is that the food you are eating has been pre-cooked in large portions at different facilities
& then distributed to their various locations. It is then warmed up before serving.
About the only restaurants that I know of, are the few local ones that cook their food at the same location.
I know of one Italian eatery that begin their preparation very very early in the morning. The aroma is quite pleasant.

If you went into a Waldorf Lunch or a Horn & Hardart Automat in 1930, you'd have gotten the same kind of reheated commissary food. If you want to be sure you're getting home cooking, eat at home.

That's what average gastronomy ever will be. Slushy stuff and scam. :D

No one beats my selfmade (milk)rice-pudding! :cool:

When I was in college, I was 6'1", 200 lbs and wore a 32 waist. 30 years later, I'm still 6'1". But that's about all that hasn't changed. Even my shoe size has increased two sizes in those years.

Three reasons (1) lucky genes (but there are also challenges to not being able to hold weight on, but in the wrong company, even mentioning that as a problem could get me shot), (2) I eat half of what I used to thirty years ago and (3) I work out 2 hours a day in a very rigorous and thoughtful cross training way that has kept my body from changing shape. I do think I'm down about half an inch in height, but nothing else has changed...yet.

Last edited:
The reason is that the food you are eating has been pre-cooked in large portions at different facilities
& then distributed to their various locations. It is then warmed up before serving.
About the only restaurants that I know of, are the few local ones that cook their food at the same location.
I know of one Italian eatery that begin their preparation very very early in the morning. The aroma is quite pleasant.

A lot of restaurants - at least in NYC - over the last decade have "opened up" their kitchen by either putting in glass so you can see the kitchen from the dinning room, building the kitchen right in the open or (for a few) encouraging tours through it so that you see the food being cooked. These are not the more modest priced restaurants, but many mid-level and up have done this. I thought it was odd when it started happening, but I think it was (1) to address Stormy's concern and "prove" that everything is made fresh on premises, (2) it is a bit of a show thing and (3) (of course) the oh-so-preious amongst us like its "authentic" feel.

Three reasons (1) lucky genes (but there are also challenges to not being able to hold weight on, but in the wrong company, even mentioning that as a problem could get me shot), (2) I eat half of what I used to thirty years ago and (3) I work out 2 hours a day in a very rigorous and thoughtful cross training way that has kept my body from changing shape. I do think I'm down about half an inch in height, but nothing else has changes...yet.

The problem with the opposite is:
A nice normal-weighted leather-jacket is just for 80kg-guys and a half-long leather-coat for 120kg-guys.

But, to me, a lightweighted, leather-imitating viscose-jacket would be better. But, they say, that viscose is still more or less "grumpy", today. ;)

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
When I was in high school in the late 70s, before vanity sizing, I was 5'7", 135 lbs. and wore a size 11/12 or a large. That size is now a 6/8 or a small - wish I'd known about vanity sizing then because at the time I thought I was fat.

What I've noticed is that men's sizing has stayed pretty consistent over my life. I'm 6'1", 150lbs and have been since thirty years ago when I was in college...
I wish I could say that. I'm 6'1" tall as well, and weighed 165 (lbs.) when my wife and I got married in August of 1981. Shortly after that I got into weight training and eventually bulked up to 185 (lbs.), which I think was a good weight for me. Long story short, a herniated disc in my lower back and surgery to correct it in 2004 left me unable to exercise to maintain my weight, so I'm now somewhere around 200-205 lbs.. :(

...During that time period though, my girlfriend who is also very consistent in her body size at 5'11" and about 135lbs, but she has gone from being an 6-8 and sometimes a 10 in almost everything, to a 4-8 today as "vanity" sizing kicked in. Apparently, "vanity" sizing is when the manufacturers label the larger sizes smaller to make the wearer feel better about buying it. This is why craziness like size "0" exists because as they "reduced the 10s to 8s and 8s to 6s, etc., the smaller sizes had to go down so, "0" came into being as a size. All this drives my girlfriend nuts as she likes to buy her clothes on-line and all this gamesmanship with sizing makes her have to either guess or order two sizes and return one - very silly.
My wife has the same problem, as I'm sure almost all women do these days. She orders clothes online occasionally, and about half of the time has to return whatever she's ordered for a different size.

Today, at my walkaround in our 30's-small-town, I suddenly smelled a very yummy meal and I could swear, it was:
"Székely gulyás"
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=szegediner+gulasch&FORM=HDRSC2

It's Sauerkraut-goulash with sour-cream.

Old-fashioned, but still alive. :)
You're making me hungry. There is a similar Italian dish called Crauti, which is essentially sauerkraut and the same kind of tomato sauce you would find on pasta. My wife's family eats it between two slices of bread like a sandwich, with a thin layer of Asiago cheese if it's available. It doesn't sound like much based on my description, but it's delicious.

Basing it on the cover of a
pizza from the frozen foods section of the grocery store,
I bought it.
Now I know what "cardboard"
pizza taste like.
I really really envy
"Fading Fast"!:(

Here's the thing, while - as a percentage of the population - a few people have some horrific medical issues and a few seem touched from above to glide through life with nothing more than the occasional hangnail, most of us have our health issues and deal with them. I am not complaining, but I've had some reasonably challenging medical events thrown at me over the years and some not-fun chronic stuff I deal with - like most 51 year olds. And most people that I know well have different health issues, but they have them.

As long as you can basically lead a normal life (with this or that limitation that's not too bad), then be happy and never envious as the guy or woman you might think you want to switch places with 'cause he or she looks the picture of health might (probably) has some chronic stuff he or she is dealing with that you don't know about. And I have no doubt if I didn't work our very hard every day, my body would have shifted around like most. And my knees, which are basically fine for day to day, would never allow me to play the tennis you love. Everyone has their "stuff."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Here's the thing, while - as a percentage of the population - a few people have some horrific medical issues and a few seem touched from above to glide through life with nothing more than the occasional hangnail, most of us have our health issues and deal with them. I am not complaining, but I've had some reasonably challenging medical events thrown at me over the years and some not-fun chronic stuff I deal with - like most 51 year olds. And most people that I know well have different health issues, but they have them.

As long as you can basically lead a normal life (with this or that limitation that's not too bad), then be happy and never envious as the guy or woman you might think you want to switch places with 'cause he or she looks the picture of health might (probably) has some chronic stuff he or she is dealing with that you don't know about. And I have no doubt if I didn't work our very hard every day, my body would have shifted around like most. And my knees, which are basically fine for day to day, would never allow me to play the tennis you love. Everyone has their "stuff."

I was being facetious when I wrote about being envious.
I am happy. Life has been good in spite of the negative things
that we all have to deal with.

Although a slice of New York pizza would make me happier!
(just kidding)

Have A Nice Day ! :)

Last edited:
I was being facetious when I wrote about being envious.
I am happy. Life has been good in spite of the negative things
that we all have to deal with.

Although a slice of New York pizza would make me happier!
(just kidding)

Have A Nice Day ! :)

Just reread my post and apologize, I came on silly strong and - knowing your posts and style - I should have realized the light-hearted manner of your comment.

And anytime you are in NYC, pizza and beer is on me buddy.

I regret the more and more disappearing of the old-fashioned sidewalk-railings, coloured red-white, white, grey and so on. I find them absolute sensemaking, especially today! The people would not more cross the streets dangerously criss-cross and more use the traffic-lights. And the railings would more secure the pedestrians.

Are there cons, about this railings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot