Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

When's the last time you ate limburger cheese?

It was one of the most common comedy tropes of the Era -- Harry Langdon or Snub Pollard or Joe E. Brown or somebody like that is on a crowded trolley or bus or elevator and breaks out a jar of Limburger cheese and everyone reacts with wrinkle-nosed dismay. We've all seen the gag, and understand what it means -- Limburger cheese has a strong and flatulent aroma -- but when's the last time you saw a jar of it in the store, let alone had some on a sandwich? Has it gone the way of canned sardines and round bombs with a fuse? Is it just an old joke no longer having any real-world frame of reference?

I don't ever once remember eating it, but as you note, I am familiar with and completely understand the gag as it was popular for a long time.

But then I'm just a kid from the 1970's suburbs of NJ - Kraft singles were cheese, a package of sliced Swiss was exotic and a wedge of Jarlsberg was all but out of reach for us unwashed masses.

Growing up, I don't remember there being any of the variety of cheeses I now see, not only in the "good" stores, but in the average not-fancy supermarket of today.

Never ate it, but the last time I recall seeing it was in my Grandmother's refrigerator in the 1960s. The smell did not attract me to it at all.

I do remember feeding my little sister a "tiny pickle" from the small jar in the same 'fridge. It was actually a pepper. I knew that and the whipping I received was worth it! :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our local First National grocery store usually carried some deli-type cheese: I remember trying and liking Muenster as a kid, and once spent the better part of a dollar on a good-sized brick of it, which I ate, in its entirety, on the way home. There were digestive consequences of this binge, but I still like Muenster cheese.

"Government Cheese" was also pretty good -- it was real American cheese, not process-cheese-food-product, and it made the foundation for an excellent Welsh rabbit.

I still buy Kraft singles, and have the habit of eating a couple of them right out of the wrapper when I feel peckish at night. They are, however, not the same as they used to be -- they're much gooier than they once were. Probably more carrageenan in them or something.

3fingers

One Too Many
They are, however, not the same as they used to be -- they're much gooier than they once were. Probably more carrageenan in them or something.
I've thought that too, but hadn't figured out why. The newer plastic wrap stinks too. I'm sure it's cheaper for them, but it tears when you try to unwrap it. :mad:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
I don't ever once remember eating it, but as you note, I am familiar with and completely understand the gag as it was popular for a long time.

But then I'm just a kid from the 1970's suburbs of NJ - Kraft singles were cheese, a package of sliced Swiss was exotic and a wedge of Jarlsberg was all but out of reach for us unwashed masses.

Growing up, I don't remember there being any of the variety of cheeses I now see, not only in the "good" stores, but in the average not-fancy supermarket of today.
Ha, Kraft singles were the cheese of small town Nebraska in the 70's too. :)

My mom wouldn't buy Kraft singles because my dad didn't like them for some reason and they were too expensive.
Cheese at our house was Velveeta.

Oddly, we didn't have Velveeta in our house (only had it at friends house). My guess is my dad didn't like it - that pretty much determined what made it in or out of our house. But Krafts couldn't have been expensive in our region or they wouldn't have been a staple in our very tightly budgeted house.

I've thought that too, but hadn't figured out why. The newer plastic wrap stinks too. I'm sure it's cheaper for them, but it tears when you try to unwrap it. :mad:

That drives me nuts too. Growing up, they were easy to unwrapped, now it's like surgery - you have to be delicate and thoughtful. Stupid Redi Whip has done something similarly idiotic with its cap as you have to very carefully pull the tab off or it will break before the cap comes off. I remember giving that tab a tug without thought for years and never having a problem. Grrrr to all of it.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Things titled "Victory." It was a WWII thing, but it lingered for the better part of a decade after the war. In the little Ohio town where I was born, the local A&P was renamed the Victory Market. There was also a Victory Theater. There were Victory motels across the country. Gradually, it was dropped and things went back to their original names.

It was one of the most common comedy tropes of the Era -- Harry Langdon or Snub Pollard or Joe E. Brown or somebody like that is on a crowded trolley or bus or elevator and breaks out a jar of Limburger cheese and everyone reacts with wrinkle-nosed dismay. We've all seen the gag, and understand what it means -- Limburger cheese has a strong and flatulent aroma -- but when's the last time you saw a jar of it in the store, let alone had some on a sandwich? Has it gone the way of canned sardines and round bombs with a fuse? Is it just an old joke no longer having any real-world frame of reference?

I haven't smelled, let alone eaten, Limburger in half a century. Cheese of many kinds were just a part of life in the Wisconsin of my early years, especially for those of us descended from and still closely related to dairymen.

As to Velveeta ...

I'm certainly no food snob (microwave burritos are a staple of my diet), and no offense intended to those who actually like the stuff, but Velveeta only vaguely resembles cheese. It has a cheese-like flavor in the way that I have an Adonis-like physique.

"Government cheese" was referred to as "Not For Resale" brand among the millionaires of my acquaintance back in the day. Our family never received such largesse -- not as I recall, anyway -- but lots of people in our circle did.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Things titled "Victory." It was a WWII thing, but it lingered for the better part of a decade after the war. In the little Ohio town where I was born, the local A&P was renamed the Victory Market. There was also a Victory Theater. There were Victory motels across the country. Gradually, it was dropped and things went back to their original names.

We had a Chevron gas station in the middle of town when I was growing up with a giant sign on the roof in which the "V" was larger than the other letters and had wings. I didn't understand the point of it until I realized the "winged V" was a WWII Victory thing that had for some reason stuck around beyond the point of relevance.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Gosh! To have grown up with nothing but Velveeta! My grandparents' First Avenue ( Yorkville) background assured that we always had a good variety of delicatessen in the ice box.

I still eat limburger, but dearly miss that delight of delights which was made extinct by the Kraft company some thirty years since: Liederkranz cheese. Oh, to taste once again Liederkranz on a Uneeda Biscuit...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've heard of Velveeta but don't really know what it is.

I do remember what we used to call 'spray cheese.' I don't remember the brand name. It came in a can. You would turn it upside down, press the nozzle sideways, and you'd get a ribbon of cheese(?), usually for me on a Ritz cracker.

3fingers

One Too Many
I've heard of Velveeta but don't really know what it is.

I do remember what we used to call 'spray cheese.' I don't remember the brand name. It came in a can. You would turn it upside down, press the nozzle sideways, and you'd get a ribbon of cheese(?), usually for me on a Ritz cracker.
There have been several incarnations of cheese in a shaving cream can. Kraft has one that they call Easy Cheese. A similar thing that I have not had for many years is a cheese product in a jar called Cheese Whiz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21