Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
The Lord is doesn't care about appearances, but rather looks to the inner man and discerns the attitudes of the heart; it isn't so much the issue of what people wear per se as what attitude underlies it. You are absolutely right in observing that for some it's all they have, which is fine, but I suspect in most cases the careless dress stems from a lack of reverence for God and a careless attitude, and I'm fairly sure God is not impressed with such cases.

The reverse is also true that if people are "dressing to impress" and to be seen by others when going to church because they want to glorify themselves, God is equally unimpressed.

The best thing is to wear nice clothing out of love, respect, and reverence for God, even if the nicest you have is a polo shirt and some nice jeans, and be concerned with what He thinks of your heart attitude as opposed to what others think of your mode of dress.

I really think you got the idea here on this. This is what I've felt. Along with a reverence for God I include a little respect for themselves and others around them. It's not to show off for others, it's to do the best you can out of respect and a sense of descency.

Go on line or ask a goth how many types of goths there are. You will be there all day. I assure you, to young people, there ar just as many distinctions and subtle sartorial cues as to which group people belong. True, media may have become more pervasive, and styles may be more universal, but this just creates more entrenched sub cultures and rebellious looks. Remember, back in our day, we were all punk rockers to old people.

I think that there are regional interpretations and also it may have to do with access to the right info and clothes as to how well someone nails the look for their genre.

I really think you got the idea here on this. This is what I've felt. Along with a reverence for God I include a little respect for themselves and others around them. It's not to show off for others, it's to do the best you can out of respect and a sense of descency.

It is one of those if God invited you to dinner then what would you wear kind of scenarios. :D
In some countries it is a HUGE faux pas if someone invites you to dinner and you show up looking like you are ready to comb the beach. In fact, they consider it an insult. Dressing well=respect. Bum=treated like a bum.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It is one of those if God invited you to dinner then what would you wear kind of scenarios. :D
In some countries it is a HUGE faux pas if someone invites you to dinner and you show up looking like you are ready to comb the beach. In fact, they consider it an insult. Dressing well=respect. Bum=treated like a bum.

Out of respect for the culture, if I went to dinner in heaven, I would wear a long white robe.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I think with all the funny-drunk talk my original point's been lost. I didn't say the town drunks of the past were *lovable* characters -- quite the opposite. They were stigmatized and disgraced, a dishonor to themselves and their families, and the very idea of public intoxication was considered shameful and humiliating. The idea of making a big deal about "getting wasted," which you hear among a lot of otherwise respectable people today, would have been incomprehensible in the world I grew up in.

Well, thank god we live in a time when alcoholics are seen as the sick that they are, so we can try to get on to the treatment they and their families need instead of shaming them, and sweeping it under the rug.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, thank god we live in a time when alcoholics are seen as the sick that they are, so we can try to get on to the treatment they and their families need instead of shaming them, and sweeping it under the rug.

And yet recreational drunkenness is something people brag about. "Man I was sooooooo wasted last night. Cool!" I wonder how many clinical alcoholics started out that way?

Maybe one thing we need to get away from is cute euphemisms. You weren't wasted last night, or hammered, or tipsy, or anything else. You were D-R-U-N-K drunk, and you made a damn fool of yourself in the process. Shame would be the best thing that could happen to those types.

And yet recreational drunkenness is something people brag about. "Man I was sooooooo wasted last night. Cool!" I wonder how many clinical alcoholics started out that way?

Maybe one thing we need to get away from is cute euphemisms. You weren't wasted last night, or hammered, or tipsy, or anything else. You were D-R-U-N-K drunk, and you made a damn fool of yourself in the process. Shame would be the best thing that could happen to those types.

Now there is a vintage word that has all but disappeared---Shame. The poor guy got abducted by free love and we have seen little of him since.:eusa_doh:

It is one of those if God invited you to dinner then what would you wear kind of scenarios. :D In some countries it is a HUGE faux pas if someone invites you to dinner and you show up looking like you are ready to comb the beach. In fact, they consider it an insult. Dressing well=respect. Bum=treated like a bum.

it's the same thing with how we speak. Today the four lettered variety that you couldn't say on TV is deriguer for much of the culture. I have asked before what are the words and subjects you would not say infront of: grandma, the school principal, a nun - priest, rabbi or pastor, the pope etc. Much of the culture barely holds onto any type of distinction. Things not to say to the judge when in court type of sensibilities.

There is a bit if a difference between tipsy and hammered.

Tipsy is more like you haven't eaten anything and take a long pull on a nice beer waiting for lunch and you can feel the alcohol has some leverage.

Ca't remember the show but this funny black lady has some sort of verbal altercation and tells someone that is full of it precisely that. A friend then asks her
Q: Was that you or the alcohol speaking?
A: it was me speaking but the alcohol was cheering me on!

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Far be it from me to claim that I like the direction that modern fashion is heading--except perhaps that it makes me look better by comparison--but the idea that people aren't dressing "respectably" enough doesn't wash with what I've seen. The bar of "respectable" has simply dropped--for better or worse. They may be dressed for "mowing the lawn" by certain standards, but it's silly to judge modern fashion by any standards but its own--at least as far as gravitas goes. Promiscuity is a different matter.

For me, though, this helps keep people honest--I distrust anyone trying to impress anyone but themselves. If someone is well-dressed merely because of expectation, it is hardly a reflection on them of anything but conformity.

Mowing Lawns
I've noticed that nowadays I rarely see people mowing their own lawn. They usually hire someone to do it. On any given day in my neighborhood I'll see half a dozen or so gardeners working at different houses mowing the lawn, etc. Something that was a very rare sight when I was growing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot