Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Town nominees

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Heh. I grew up in High Bridge. First 20 years of my life. Those Jersey small towns were great as a kid. Taxes are high now though.

I grew up in Somerset. Not exactly small town but as a kid I used to love to go to Bound Brook and Somerville which both had a small town atmosphere.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, from what some folk are describing what a good vintage town needs, Juneau is a rather good vintage town. The architecture is very art deco (I'll post some photos when I get the chance), the weather is cool and welcomes dressing up without fear of sweating, we have a theater both movies and drama, we've got a great swing band called the Thunder Mountain Big Band, and there is a great art community. There are two real big drawbacks to Juneau, it rains... a lot, and in the summer the cruise ships bring the tourists all day every day... this gets on some people's nerves, but I do not mind.

As I said before, I will post some photos of the local architecture, I think some may be pleasantly surprised.

rue

Well, from what some folk are describing what a good vintage town needs, Juneau is a rather good vintage town. The architecture is very art deco (I'll post some photos when I get the chance), the weather is cool and welcomes dressing up without fear of sweating, we have a theater both movies and drama, we've got a great swing band called the Thunder Mountain Big Band, and there is a great art community. There are two real big drawbacks to Juneau, it rains... a lot, and in the summer the cruise ships bring the tourists all day every day... this gets on some people's nerves, but I do not mind.

As I said before, I will post some photos of the local architecture, I think some may be pleasantly surprised.

I for one would love to see it. The only image I have of Alaska is from the show Northern Exposure..... a lot of snow and quirkiness.

rue

If anyone is interested, here are some photos of Christchurch which give an idea.

christchurch-tram-nz.jpg

christchurch431.jpg

garden.jpg

vill+crick.BMP

800px_Christchurch_178_Brill_car_1_1.jpg

rtw2005.1164324180.weekend_markets_at_christchurch_arts_centre.jpg

2.1226026440.christchurch-cathedral.jpg

Gorgeous town! If only I could get over my fear of flying, I'd visit in a heartbeat.

rue

You do realize that that show was actually filmed in a little town along Snoqualmie Pass, right? (Roslyn, WA--not far from the big outlet-mall at North Bend for those who can abide such things.)

No, I had no idea, but it doesn't surprise me. For example, Fantasy Island was filmed, where I grew up, in Arcadia, California at the local arboretum and not some exotic local. Irregardless, that's the only impression I have.

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Lake Wobegon yet ;)

Mind you...Christchurch looks gorgeous!! but am I allowed to live on the warmer North Island and have a wooden lodge on the south? lol

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Lake Wobegon yet ;)

Mind you...Christchurch looks gorgeous!! but am I allowed to live on the warmer North Island and have a wooden lodge on the south? lol

I'd expect you wouldn't be the first of your countrymen to do that Dragonaxe!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Bunbury looks lovely Binkie, but my vote's for Katoomba, NSW Australia. It has lovely deco architecture & lots of natural beauty
a-bit-of-old-art-deco.jpg

121924a_hb_a_001.jpg

The three sisters are literally 5 minutes away from the main street of Katoomba.
2647792-The_Three_Sisters_from_Echo_Point-Katoomba.jpg

I love the town so much I am thinking about getting the cheque book out to buy this flat (I'll have to rip out the awful new kitchen & put it back to what it was though).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Lolly, I think he's implying that having a lighthouse makes a town inherently more vintage, and, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, inherently just cooler over all. I think you two should duke it out. ;)

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Lolly, I think he's implying that having a lighthouse makes a town inherently more vintage, and, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, inherently just cooler over all. I think you two should duke it out. ;)

When it comes to one upmanship, Binkie always wins. We are great chums though & I'm sure there's no need for us to come to fisticuffs. :D

Anyway how could Bunbury beat this
Main-Street-Katoomba-c-1934.jpg

or this
view-from-jamison-house.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo