Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage vs Modern

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I know you ladies have probably all had this experience but I just had to share my feelings after shopping with a non-vintage loving friend this weekend. Long story short, we went to a mall and I tried on some nice day dresses but I didn't find a single thing I liked--oceans of cheap fabric, which is my personal pet peeve, even used in rather expensive garments.

Today I tried on a dress I had gotten in the mail on Saturday. It is a 1940's day dress; back in the day it probably would have been comparable to the dresses I tried on at the mall--not top of the line but not bottom of the barrel either. I'll probably end up wearing it to the Boston June event.

I couldn't believe the difference between the modern dresses and the vintage one. The 1940's dress was not only expertly fitted to flatter a girl's figure but fit me like a glove; it had loads of details the modern dresses lacked, the fabric (even after almost 70 years) was thicker with a prettier print and of much better quality.

Most of all I was struck by the way the vintage dress made me feel. The cut set off my figure but not in a vulgar way and it made me feel like a million bucks--feminine and confident that I looked great. The best modern dress I tried on probably made me feel like $29.99 (which was less than it cost)!

Viva la vintage!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont think its a 'verses' thing, as there are many women here who do dress in modern fare.

Its quality, as you mentioned. The craft of a well made garment has gone to the wayside, for cheap trend setting recyclable fashions that come and go like the tide. Rather than investing in a style, people go for a look, and then change as the trends change. I feel that cant add to a dynamic of a person, especially when we are so judged on how we look and 'who' we wear.

As far as vintage, you generally got a dress that you wore till it was rags, then used as something else, (make due and mend). Now after a wash or two, the garment is destroyed, and you need to shop for a new one.

Its marketing too. Thats done on purpose. Its not like they cant make a garment that will survive for years, there is just no money in that. Also garments use to be tailored to fit the person, not this wide net of generic fit, to save on pattern manufacturing.

So for me, Ill stick with my vintage and well made by hand items. I have a better estimation of their shelf life, and Im not afraid to wash them :)

LD

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I do agree that the quality isn't the same with exception to some of my Isaac Mizrahi(I'm in love with this line) items from Target.I think they are suprisingly well done for the price and i like that he almost always has some classic lines.
I think LD made a great point that designers today design for the quick turn-around.Fashion and pretty much society as a whole has become disposable.
This doesn't effect only fashion since we've all noticed it in many neighborhoods that could have been historic monuments to a time and place forgotten.
Instead,they bulldoze our beautiful tudors and such,then replace them with cookie cutter McMansions.
The mass majority just want shiny and new.What a shame!:(

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I have yet to try on a vintage item that actually fit. I think as long as something is feminine & flatters you, it doesn't matter if it is from the 1940s, or K-Mart. On me anything before the 1970s looks like a Halloween costume. I think I am too modern looking & athletic, even though I am pale, petite, and a curvy hourglass. My waist is 11" smaller than my bust & hips, and, oddly enough, the only jeans that really fit are hip-huggers that bypass the waist entirely. The old skirts with the high waists just make my waist look tiny & my hips look huge. My vintage obsession is with accessories, especially bags & jewelry.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I realised that since I sew myself I have become more critical about modern clothes. The most outfits that you get cheap are cheaply made, too and the seams look horrid and fabrics like they won´t last so I think by myself "I rather make that one myself and make it properly". Off course there are quality-pieces for a good price, too, but you have to search search search... I hardly shop in clothes stores anymore and mostly stick to ebay.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
If it's well-made, it doesn't really matter whether it's modern or not for me. However, everything modern in my closet is vintage-inspired, and that's because, just like vintage, these modern day clothes manage to flatter my figure in a way that average modern garb just doesn't.

Whenever I go to the mall I hardly get anything. Nothing seems worth spending money on. Usually I'll get a knit sweater top at Forever 21 (they always have a large variety that look very vintage-inspired, even in vintage colors like mustard yellow!). But that's it. I've just grown spoiled with how vintage fits me and makes me look and feel. I literally feel like a queen in a vintage dress. It's boosted my self-esteem and confidence in my body and figure so much it's ridiculous.

What I wish for the majority of modern clothes is that they really, truly flattered the average woman. There's a huge variety of body types here in the Powder Room, but vintage seems to work for us all. Maybe we don't all wear the same style or size, but we all manage to find something that truly flatters our figures. With modern day apparel, I feel like it's much more of a challenge to find clothing that will really make a woman feel beautiful.

Renee

Familiar Face
It's true that many modern clothes are of less than stellar fit and quality. But I don't know if the fault lies completely with the manufacturer; there are other factors behind it. We are very much conditioned these days to buy in quantity rather than look for quality. I know people who are happy to pick up new shoes for $10. They're not concerned about the quality - they just like the look and want a new pair of shoes. When they head off to shop at Old Navy they don't necessarily need anything, they just want to shop. Low prices encourage this, and you really can't get something for nothing. I don't know how many times I've heard friends say about an inexpensive, obviously poor quality (but admittedly cute) new purchase "Well, even if it falls apart after a few washes I only paid $-- for it."

This low price mentality does carry over to those who purchase vintage clothing (I've seen it evidenced on these boards). They like to shop for shopping's sake, and they want to get the most for the least amount. The only difference is they're on e-bay rather than at the local mall. ;) Many times you can get good quality attractive vintage for next-to-nothing or inexpensively, which is good since fit can be uncertain (if buying online) and the clothing is generally unreturnable. But I've seen people buy vintage clothing with obvious holes and/or stains that are clearly unwearable, or they get something where the measurements were correct but the piece does not fit or flatter - all of which makes me think that buying a vintage-inspired piece at Target or K-Mart is the smarter buy. :p And just like shopping for new clothing, you'll often pay premium prices for the really good quality vintage stuff, especially if it's a known designer.

There are plenty of good quality new clothes available, but you often have to readjust your mindset when deciding to purchase them. A new set of Bill's khakis for my husband will set us back a little over $100. A good quality cashmere twinset for myself is over $200. These are items that are definitely worth the money and last for many years, but they're not impulse buys (at least not at our inome level LOL) and they're not frequent "Oh I just feel like shopping" buys. They're pretty much planned additions to our wardrobes.

All of this is pretty much a long-winded way of saying that there's good clothing that fits and flatters to be found in every era, and there's plenty of stinkers, too. The trick is to find what you like and looks good on you that you can also afford!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I agree that vintage is better-made than most of today's clothes. I mostly wear vintage-inspired modern clothes. Cheap clothes, too. Most have lasted me because I take very good care of them. I try not to put anything in the dryer and only put those items in the washer that need it. Everything else is hand washed.

But whether it's vintage or modern, I actually hate shopping for clothes. That's why I take good care of what I have so I don't have to go anytime soon :eek: I'd rather go to a bookstore or a second-hand record shop instead. I guess I'm weird! :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
See...I wear 99.9% new clothes.

I have vintage for events and playing dress up. Maybe that makes me a giant fake by some people's standards. I can't do my hair, can barely do my makeup, and I have only worn gartered stockings -once-.

But I am -interested- in the Golden Era, although my collecting is mainly in things like compacts, books and household stuff.

There is no -right- way to be. Clothes are clothes, there were probably crappy made vintage stuff too...and when those ladies washed it..it fell apart and got used for rags. One always needs to remember that we see the 'survivors' of all the things that there were, not everything made it to 2007.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie, I never thought about it that way, but you are probably right about that we just get the high-quality survivors of Vintage and that there was loady of low-quality back than, too.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Definitely,some valid points everyone's made.
I know I pretty much wear modern clothing with classic lines and have admittedly found some that wasn't too shabby. I am guilty of indulging in some disposable fashion as well,but I still think that unless investing in Couture or making clothing yourself they aren't made the same as SOME of my vintage.(edited-to show emphasis on "some" since I thought Renee brought up a good point,not all of my vintage is stellar)
I may admire vintage and those who wear it,but I don't judge anyone who doesn't.As much as it might break my heart if one of my friends dumped her great-grans wardrobe in the nearest garbage it wouldn't stop me from being friends with her.
However,it does make me wonder,what will we have to pass on to the next generation to remember us by that isn't already vintage?
My husband will probably pass his pocket watch that I gave him the day we were married to our son.It's inscribed with our wedding date and "As time goes by...I love you more everyday!"

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Clothes are clothes, there were probably crappy made vintage stuff too...and when those ladies washed it..it fell apart and got used for rags.

Well I dont know about that.

The clothing industry is far too different now to attempt to compare it to how it was then. One thing, most clothing was made in this country, (today over 95% is made abroad) ordered from catalogue, and sent to the buyer. Even stores like Sears, where clothing was made by union hands, had better quality control because of smaller batches, local makers, and personal ordering. Everything was in smaller batches: bolts of fabric, thread, distribution, keeping the quality at a good level.

Today everything is a unit, weather it be a pair of shoes, a cup or a blouse. Factors for the different item are no longer into play. Factory made clothing is nthing as it was in the Golden Era. If the dress did fall apart, the woman would take it bak, not buy a new one.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Look for -- the union label! When you are buying a coat, dress or blouse!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. There was a time when the Ladies Garment Workers union was so strong and so well established it could mount its own successful Broadway show. The people who made clothes in those days took pride in their work, by and large -- and the people who bought them took pride in knowing their things were made by people working, in many cases, right in their own communities. I grew up in a town where lots of people worked for good wages in shoe factories, pants factories, all sorts of places like that, and every single one of those factories is gone now, long gone. It's hard for me to buy modern clothes and see a "Made in China" label, and realize what that symbolizes. It's nearly impossible to avoid in this day and age, especially when buying shoes, but I still don't feel good about it.

Some good points on the durability of vintage. I think there were certainly plenty of inexpensive garments that got worn out quickly and ended up in the rag bin -- but even more likely, they got recycled into something else before they wore completely out. I used to wear cutdowns from my grandmother's house dresses when I was little, and I'm sure this sort of thing was even more common the further back you look. Average people were much more frugal about clothes then, and I think it's rather amazing that as much everyday clothing has survived in decent condition as there has.

Things like suits and coats, though, were definitely better made than anything comparble today -- a good coat was an *investment,* something you'd wear for years and years, and they were carefully stored and taken care of between seasons. The last modern-made coat I bought lasted only three winters before it started coming apart, and I swore "never again."

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Some good points on the durability of vintage. I think there were certainly plenty of inexpensive garments that got worn out quickly and ended up in the rag bin -- but even more likely, they got recycled into something else before they wore completely out. I used to wear cutdowns from my grandmother's house dresses when I was little, and I'm sure this sort of thing was even more common the further back you look. Average people were much more frugal about clothes then, and I think it's rather amazing that as much everyday clothing has survived in decent condition as there has.

Indeed.

And I was not saying that it was a comparable ratio of poorly made to well made...today vs then....

I just think we tend to forget that we are not seeing 'everything' from then.....

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I wear mostly clothing I have made or store bought clothing. The clothing I make is usually from a vintage pattern, and the store bought is usually got something vintage to it. I really have become spoiled sewing my own clothes, because you get something that fits how you want it and you can usually buy nicer fabrics for cheaper than you could buy the nicer fabrics made up into something.
I have a large collection of vintage, but I seldom wear it, as I feel guilty of putting any wear and tear on it.
I have to agree with the vintage that has survived has survived for a reason. Most people then valued the fabric that went into their clothing as much as their clothing. You wore out your work-clothes and you reused the fabric from your fancy clothes to make into the new styles. One era I collect alot in is the early Victorian, and even though you know most women wore and average work dress everyday, you maybe come across 1 for every 100 surviving dresses. Why? Because women saved their best or most sentimental gowns. I can't help but think women in the 30s, 40s and 50s did the same.
Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on the topic.
-Stormi

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I have enjoyed the overall quality of my vintage garments, but I have definitely had a few dresses that were pretty poorly sewn, both from patterns and brand names. However, I have always considered the clothes well worth the effort it takes to sew repairs and reinforcements, and I'll only purchase a garment that I deem truly salvagable.

I take pride in knowing that I am reducing, reusing and recycling by choosing my vintage lifestyle. It is comforting to know that my vintage cotton dresses don't contain traces of harmful pesticides, and that they were made by well-paid workers at local businesses instead of assembled in a sweatshop overseas. I'm sick of contributing to a culture of such insane consumerism.

I love the style and quality of vintage items, but the sustainability of choosing vintage really makes it worthwhile for me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
gluegungeisha said:
I take pride in knowing that I am reducing, reusing and recycling by choosing my vintage lifestyle. It is comforting to know that my vintage cotton dresses don't contain traces of harmful pesticides, and that they were made by well-paid workers at local businesses instead of assembled in a sweatshop overseas. I'm sick of contributing to a culture of such insane consumerism.

I love the style and quality of vintage items, but the sustainability of choosing vintage really makes it worthwhile for me.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap !

Only Sleeping

New in Town
I enjoy wearing vintage for a myriad of reasons, namely:
- It's recycling clothes that already exist
- I'm not supporting sweat shop labor by buying new clothes
- Vintage clothing is more modest than contemporary clothes (I can't really wear American Apparel because it's so low cut and clingy!)
and, possibly the most important reason:
- I will never show up to a party wearing the same as anyone else!

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
You ladies that have listed recycling as a reason for wearing vintage has really given me something to mull over. I've never thought of it like that, but the oposite... I've always felt that when I wear vintage it's sorta "bad" because my wearing it I am destroying a piece of history.... I suppose the line of thought came from originally collecting much older pieces where it is destroying a piece of history to wear original garments.
Now, I would never wear a 1910s or 20s dress or anything earlier because I have mentally set this aside as being "perserved" but will wear a 30s or 40s dress if I don't forsee doing it any harm that day, and something from the 50s or 60s I'd wear casually. Does anyone else have similiar lines of thought? What age makes a piece of vintage from "vintage-wearable" to "vintage-collectable?" Or is in not an age, just a rareness (and necessarily anything past X years of age is rare no matter what garment it is)
Hope this isn't getting too far off topic, I was just pondering!
-Stormi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy