Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE Weird Hat Inventions and Oddities

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I hope this thread takes off. Looking through a couple of the "American Hatter" issues this afternoon, had me pick out a couple "inventions" that seem wacky today but were probably good ideas at the time. If anyone has any other advertisements of whacky hat inventions, post them here.

1916 adjustable crown
1916adjustablecrown.jpg

1916 adjustable crown 2
1916adjustablecrown2.jpg

1918 Optikap
1918Optikap.jpg

1918 Crown Fastener
1918CrownFastener.jpg

1918 Crease Holder
1918CreaseHolder.png

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Not on the market, not vintage and certainly whacky (contributor: http://members.toast.net/saddletrout/attic.html ) -

"ANTI-SMOKING COWBOY HAT
Certain tobacco companies have spent millions in advertising over the years to get cowboys and other high-testosterone individuals to take up a dangerous habit. The "Anti-Smoking Cowboy Hat" helps to reverse the effects of such advertising by making it virtually impossible to smoke while wearing it.
Concealed inside the hat is a small pressurized container of a dense, non-toxic foam such as shaving cream. This container is connected by plastic tube to a spray nozzle located under the hat's brim. A combination heat sensor/smoke detector is also located under the brim. If heat or smoke is detected, an electrical signal is sent to a solenoid which discharges the pressurized cylinder.
The hat works in two ways: first, by physically extinguishing the smoking material, and second, by providing a rather unique form of negative reinforcement."

hatgram.gif

hat0.gif

Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Tipping Hat mechanism - Boyle

"Be it known that I, JAMES C. BOYLE, of Spokane, in the county of Spokane and State of Washington, have invented a new and Improved Saluting Device, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.

This invention relates to a novel device for automatically effecting polite salutations by the elevation and rotation of the hat on the head of the saluting party when said person bows to the person or persons saluted, the actuation of the hat being produced by mechanism therein and without the use of the hands in any manner."

fig1.gif

Patent detail here, http://www.colitz.com/site/556248/556248.htm .

Weird!

Eric -

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Those are very cool, Eric. Thanks for posting! I laughed out loud in the office when I saw that plunger hat. :)

I wish someone would invent something along these lines that would work in an airplane. Perhaps the support could start at the tray table . . . my elbows always gradually slide off.

Topper

Vendor
George Dunnage, who in 1793 created the first what we call top hat, in England, was The true Master Hatter.In 1798 he also created a method of ventilating the Crowns of hats...... ( why not take it off in the heat ....i hear you say... as coachmen and livery had to wear them as well as others for protocol at all times) rather like a modern sunroof to a car.......

gd.JPG

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
There were some custom auto bodies also made from fabric, possibly Fabrikoid.

BTW, the company's plant which was located in New Toronto, Canada (western suburb of Toronto)

was only closed during the last twenty years.

Regards,
-30-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran