Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Whippets

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
... why are they called "Whippets." ???

A Whippet is a dog. Does this make the hat a dog? No...it's like a Greyhound...the Whippet box shows two racing dogs..so this was a marketing name to evoke image of being fast, dashing, sleek.
Like they name a car "Cougar" or "Charger" instead of "Edsel". A "Mustang".

I agree the Whippet is the basic quality of the "Royal Deluxe", but there are subtle size and block differences. It's what the customer likes best on him.
My "Royal Deluxe" dove gray (new in box quality) actually looks better on me, both in crown, brim, and so on. Even though it is almost the same dimension as the Whippet.
Why?
One is Dark chocolate brown (Whippet) and the other is dove Gray.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
A Whippet is a dog. Does this make the hat a dog? No...it's like a Greyhound...the Whippet box shows two racing dogs..so this was a marketing name to evoke image of being fast, dashing, sleek.
Like they name a car "Cougar" or "Charger" instead of "Edsel". A "Mustang".

I agree the Whippet is the basic quality of the "Royal Deluxe", but there are subtle size and block differences. It's what the customer likes best on him.
My "Royal Deluxe" dove gray (new in box quality) actually looks better on me, both in crown, brim, and so on. Even though it is almost the same dimension as the Whippet.
Why?
One is Dark chocolate brown (Whippet) and the other is dove Gray.
Thanks. Better than skinny, high strung and nervous.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I've never seen a Royal DeLuxe Whippet. I have never seen an ad for a Royal DeLuxe Whippet.(unless it happened in the 60's when they changed the style)

Sorry about that! :)

No prob. Most people who don't know my name usually call me Steve. I've never been able to figure that out.

Jim, there is something great about calling you Fruno

but you guys can call me Anthony ... or Ant ... or moon... whatever

Just as "Whippet" is a band seared in the minds of many, so is "Fruno." You're branded. You can't go back. :)

Cheers! "FRUNO!"

I like Fruno!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've never seen a Royal DeLuxe Whippet. I have never seen an ad for a Royal DeLuxe Whippet.(unless it happened in the 60's when they changed the style)
That is correct. I did not say I had a "Royal Deluxe Whippet".
There is no such thing.
I started a new sentence, which described my "Royal" to the "Whippet". I have both. I prefer the Royal Deluxe, both in shape and color to the chocolate brown Whippet.

Kind of like saying my Chevy is X. However my Ford is Y.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I was creeping Matt Deckard's instagram page earlier today, and two images nearly knocked me out of my desk chair onto the floor. He captioned a photo "Premier Whippet 1937 edition in natural," which is coincidentally nearly identical to the Johnny Depp hat that's often the topic of discussion here.

View media item 671
View media item 670
My question is: does Deckard make habit of teasing people with custom lids, or will we actually see this one out on the street?

Last edited:
I, too, have seen him post some interesting things out there. However, he's not very good at letting people know how to get them. There seem to be no crossover promotions with retailers. So, great, nice pic. But call me when I can get one, and considering the trouble I've had getting what's already been in the catalogue, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting any Special Editions.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I, too, have seen him post some interesting things out there. However, he's not very good at letting people know how to get them. There seem to be no crossover promotions with retailers. So, great, nice pic. But call me when I can get one, and considering the trouble I've had getting what's already been in the catalogue, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting any Special Editions.

Stetson lists a Premier Whippet in Natural online (the color Deckard identifies in his photo caption), but their site does not include an image to verify that the lid's trim colors match Deckard's post.

http://www.stetsonhat.com/products_detail.php?id=1337

Can anyone vouch for Stetson's customer service? I already sent them an email inquiring.

- m

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Stetson lists a Premier Whippet in Natural online (the color Deckard identifies in his photo caption), but their site does not include an image to verify that the lid's trim colors match Deckard's post.

http://www.stetsonhat.com/products_detail.php?id=1337

Can anyone vouch for Stetson's customer service? I already sent them an email inquiring.

- m

my experience with Stetson customer service has been absolutely lousy

and the modern Whippets are nothing like the vintage ... not the ones I have handled anyway

the hat in that pic does look nice though ....

you might really dig a modern Stetsonian ... fantastic hats

Last edited:

foamy

A-List Customer
One of Stetson's sites has the Premier Whippet in graphite and sage.
http://www.stetson.com/hats/premier-whippet-in-graphite
I really want one in mink or a dark brown. 7 1/4 anyone? I have their regular Whippet in caribou and like it just fine, but the Premier versions (aside from felt quality) have slightly different (larger) dimensions.

A vintage Whippet? I haven't seen one in a color, size or price that I like.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have a liner marked Whippet that is sweatband marked Royal Stetson. I think Whippets were lower priced than Royal Deluxe Stetson at the time they were sold.

If they made Whippets today from the felt of their recent Royal Deluxe Stetsons it would be hell of a hat. I bought a Royal Deluxe at the hat outlet early this year and it has great felt. The hand of that hat is as good as any hat I have ever handled. The problem is sometimes the outlet hats can be on-offs and it is hard to draw a mass conclusion from a hat purchased there. They had a few similar hats in other colors that had the sheepskin sweatband and great felt. I was buoyed by the find and what it could mean for Stetson fedoras.

Last edited:
I have a liner marked Whippet that is sweatband marked Royal Stetson. I think Whippets were lower priced than Royal Deluxe Stetson at the time they were sold.

If they made Whippets today from the felt of their recent Royal Deluxe Stetsons it would be hell of a hat. I bought a Royal Deluxe at the hat outlet early this year and it has great felt. The hand of that hat is as good as any hat I have ever handled. The problem is sometimes the outlet hats can be on-offs and it is hard to draw a mass conclusion from a hat purchased their. They had a few similar hats in other colors that had the sheepskin sweatband and great felt. I was buoyed by the find and what it could mean for Stetson fedoras.

Picture17.png

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Natural!

Stetson's store does not currently include all of these color options online. Is it safe to assume all of these are readily available if we call in an order, or would retailers have more luck seeking them out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran