Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Whippets

In a way to bump this thread AND more importantly to get more information...
Does anyone know if the whippets were originally sent to the shops as open crown? Looking at ads from the 40's etc.....it really looks like they have factory teardrops or C crowns.
Do we have anyone (Moon?) with a good collection of 40's whippets that can submit us some good crown photos? I am also curious about the taper to the crown.....
I have ordered a modern tawney whippet to see if I like it. I also have a new Stetsonian to mould......
Best,
M

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
In a way to bump this thread AND more importantly to get more information...
Does anyone know if the whippets were originally sent to the shops as open crown? Looking at ads from the 40's etc.....it really looks like they have factory teardrops or C crowns.
Do we have anyone (Moon?) with a good collection of 40's whippets that can submit us some good crown photos? I am also curious about the taper to the crown.....
I have ordered a modern tawney whippet to see if I like it. I also have a new Stetsonian to mould......
Best,
M
Whippets were open crown ... the one you ordered will come factory creased and barely resembles the classic Whippet in any way

The Pemiere Whippet comes open crown but I don't believe is offered in tawny

Whippets were open crown ... the one you ordered will come factory creased and barely resembles the classic Whippet in any way

The Pemiere Whippet comes open crown but I don't believe is offered in tawny
Yes, I kind of figured that on the new whippet.....that is why I wanted a Stetsonian too. Something I can give a good shape to....
The ads for the Whippet look like they encouraged the stores to shape them in a tight teardrop. Simular ads for other hats (like the Stratoliner) seem to really show hand shaping and variety.....there does seem to be a time (50's maybe) where many hats were starting to be factory creased......I hava always been curious about when that became the norm for the various models....in this case, the Whippet.
Regards,
M

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I kind of figured that on the new whippet.....that is why I wanted a Stetsonian too. Something I can give a good shape to....
The ads for the Whippet look like they encouraged the stores to shape them in a tight teardrop. Simular ads for other hats (like the Stratoliner) seem to really show hand shaping and variety.....there does seem to be a time (50's maybe) where many hats were starting to be factory creased......I hava always been curious about when that became the norm for the various models....in this case, the Whippet.
Regards,
M
Hats beaing factory creased goes back to the 1940s
They were marketed as being "hat check girl proof" or something of that nature.
the Whippet as far as I know was always open crown up until the modern rerelease.

Reactions: RJR
Hats beaing factory creased goes back to the 1940s
They were marketed as being "hat check girl proof" or something of that nature.
the Whippet as far as I know was always open crown up until the modern rerelease.
I have two Lee back bow hats from the 1950s, they advertised a factory blocking. The ads I've seen talk about not needing to change anything, they were "set" at the factory.
Lee Jet Back Bow crown 640x.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran