Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Whippets

Kirk H.

One Too Many
my experience with Stetson customer service has been absolutely lousy

and the modern Whippets are nothing like the vintage ... not the ones I have handled anyway

the hat in that pic does look nice though ....

you might really dig a modern Stetsonian ... fantastic hats

I agree with you about the modern Stetsonian. I have it and a modern Whippet and the Stetsonian in my oppinion with the C-crown that I put in it looks like a vintage Whippet. I have given up trying to find a vintage Whippet. I wear a 7 3/8 and I have yet to run across a vintage one in that size. BTW this is a great topic.

Kirk

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I agree with you about the modern Stetsonian. I have it and a modern Whippet and the Stetsonian in my oppinion with the C-crown that I put in it looks like a vintage Whippet. I have given up trying to find a vintage Whippet. I wear a 7 3/8 and I have yet to run across a vintage one in that size. BTW this is a great topic.

Kirk

Interesting.

Kirk, what makes you say so — the Stetsonian's crown height?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Interesting.

Kirk, what makes you say so — the Stetsonian's crown height?

That and the brim remind me of ones that I have seen in vintage catalogs. Plus the modern Whippet has a slight taper to the crown. With the Stetsonian I was able to handblock it without a taper and put a tighter front pinch in. The Stetsonian comes open crown so you can shape it yourself. JJ Hat Center carries the Stetsonian and can block it for you if you want to go that route. You can go with a center dent crown or C-crown, tight or loose front pinch, you get to personalize it to your tastes.

Kirk

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Bob and Jim, you are both right about the blocks and dimensions. The brim on the Stetsonian is also a little bigger. But in some of the pictures that I have seen of Whippet (or what have been labeled Whippets ) from the 1940's seem to have taller crowns than the modern Whippet. From What I have learned though the Stetsonian was around in the 1940's and it has that classic look and some of the photos I have seen could have been mislabeled. Either way they are both good looking hats. Jim, did yours ever arrive yet?

Bob and Jim, you are both right about the blocks and dimensions. The brim on the Stetsonian is also a little bigger. But in some of the pictures that I have seen of Whippet (or what have been labeled Whippets ) from the 1940's seem to have taller crowns than the modern Whippet. From What I have learned though the Stetsonian was around in the 1940's and it has that classic look and some of the photos I have seen could have been mislabeled. Either way they are both good looking hats. Jim, did yours ever arrive yet?

It shipped yesterday, believe it or not. I'll hopefully have it tomorrow, though the tracking says Saturday. I'm going from memory here, but I think my 50s Whippet has about a 5 3/4" crown and 2 1/2" brim.

The term "The Stetsonian" has been used sense 1917. It was used to describe a line of hats, it was not a specific hat model. Like a lot of hat terms it has been fluid and changed over the years. Here is a 30's bowler in THE Royal quality

Most of the Stetsonians you see on the Bay are those 60s small brimmed ones.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
as someone who has owned many and currently owns 40s Whippets ... I can definitely say that aside from specific dimensions the modern Stetsonian looks and wears much more like a vintage Whippet than the modern Whippet

in honesty I have only handled and worn modern Whippets at JJ hat and didn't care much for them at all ... aside from the label saying "Whippet" I saw really no Whippet attributes aside from a wide ribbon and bound edge

foamy

A-List Customer
snip ... I can definitely say that aside from specific dimensions the modern Stetsonian looks and wears much more like a vintage Whippet than the modern Whippet ...snip
Hmm. That's news I can use. Thank you for that. Oddly, I had looked up your Stetsonian w/bash to check it out—just this morning. The color is right there. Great look'in lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran