Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Work Coat?

GreyHaas

New in Town
I just found this at the thrift store and am wondering about its age/purpose.

blackfront.jpg

blackinside.jpg

blacktag.jpg

I'm thinking early 1950s? Some sort of service station coat or maybe even an old police jacket?

Peacoat

Bartender
If a police jacket, it should have a place for a badge on the left chest. It didn't look like it had one from what I could tell. Also, if it was worn much as a police jacket, there should be wear around the bottom of the jacket where the pistol and holster would rub against the fabric. The officer would have worn the weapon on the outside of the jacket for access, thus wearing the bottom most part of the jacket.

mattfink

Practically Family
Looks like a civilian style flight jacket of some sort. I have had several jackets by Butwin that were sport related.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It's like some Police jackets but it could be civil security/guard,
or just a work jacket. I would call it later than early '50s,
maybe much later- they were big in the '70s and '80s.
I would have thought those jackets, in that fabric were quite an
'80s phenomenon. Look at the materials your jacket is made from.

That label was still being used in the '80s, I believe.

Butwin went bust in '95 and was reborn the following year,
as JBS Apparel.

Here's an eBay jacket, class of '85(I guess)- item 130337539867.
Look at the label and lining.

B
T

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Lots of jackets like this are around. It's a uniform jacket I would say circa1978 to 1986. Janitors and security people wore them. Us cops had a similar version of them in a mid green colour (I think it was mainly rural police). Our police in Melbourne had a navy blue version but a different cut - longer. I think they were made in Korea in the 1980's but originally were Canadian or American. They're still made in different styles and purchased mainly for security workers and other psuedo cops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou