Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

nyx

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
And of course, it's important to be able to competently dance goth. An instructional manual here

I used to work at a gothic/industrial nightclub. I almost peed my pajama pants when I came across "I am a frond of seaweed," although I've seen all the rest as well.

I am a frond of seaweed. Priceless!lol lol lol

Jovan

Suspended
gluegungeisha said:
Yesterday I wore the Siouxsie eyes to work. I'm lucky enough to work at a place that actually encourages dressing up! :) (Psst...my hair is windswept, not uncombed. Eek!)

2340160597_712c22b101.jpg

I have yet to master the pointy lips and 80's, painted-on cheekbones.
Honey, you make ANYTHING look good, so don't worry.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Naama said:
I still wear almost no colours at all though...... (will I ever get rid of that?)

I'm the same, I'm still always drawn to the black items. It's a difficult habit to break lol (she says dressed head to toe in black, again)

Jovan

Suspended
I've mostly ditched black now except for a few accessories. Symbolises a time where I wasn't really happy with myself. [huh]

Audrey: Where were you when I was in high school?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Jovan said:
I've mostly ditched black now except for a few accessories. Symbolises a time where I wasn't really happy with myself. [huh]

Audrey: Where were you when I was in high school?

told you your style was fly...;)

Avalon

A-List Customer
My ex-bf was goth, and so I started checking out websites...which led me to Theda Bara...who led me to silent films...which led me to the 1920s, and here. :D

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Wow!

Forgive me for jumping in but those are amazing eyes!

C79

gluegungeisha said:
Yesterday I wore the Siouxsie eyes to work. I'm lucky enough to work at a place that actually encourages dressing up! :) (Psst...my hair is windswept, not uncombed. Eek!)

2340160597_712c22b101.jpg

I have yet to master the pointy lips and 80's, painted-on cheekbones.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Avalon said:
My ex-bf was goth, and so I started checking out websites...which led me to Theda Bara...who led me to silent films...which led me to the 1920s, and here. :D

That's believable. A most logical progression.

Demode teen

New in Town
I hope I'm not to late, but yeah I think being a bit morbidly inclined ( I'm not really goth, more gothic) helped towards my gentle incline into vintage dressing. I still wear mostly black when looking for VI clothes, but if I was to find clothes from like the 40's in colours I'd wear them.

Edward

Bartender
Demode teen said:
I hope I'm not to late, but yeah I think being a bit morbidly inclined ( I'm not really goth, more gothic) helped towards my gentle incline into vintage dressing. I still wear mostly black when looking for VI clothes, but if I was to find clothes from like the 40's in colours I'd wear them.

:eek:fftopic: Nice lookin' car in your avatar.... is that in Cultra?

Lillemor

One Too Many
Yes/No. I've always ( aged 3-5 and on) been interested in history, especially the first half of the 20th Century and it's influenced my tastes and interests in other things. I've also always (aged 5-7 and on) had tastes and interests I've begun to call gothic for the past six years but before that I didn't really have a word to describe it. The same with vintage - that word entered my vocabulary around the same time as gothic but it's only now that I occasionally connect the two words. However, I would not describe myself as a goth just like I don't call myself a vintage lady because I like to believe that I'm too multi-facetted to be one or other thing alone.

My tastes in vintage things don't always lean towards the gothic. More often these days, it's quite happy, bright, and cozy. I'm obsessed with getting robin's egg blue into my home on a large scale and I'm trying to convince my hub that there were indeed people who had Hawaiian curtains.

Today I've wasted most of my time watching Twin Peaks clips on youtube and thinking about how I can work around that theme in a vintage context. I watched Twin Peaks in 1990. In 1986 I heard of Depeche Mode for the first time but I was too young to appreciate their music and my music tastes were still stuck some where between 1940s-early 1960s. Then during one of my most gothic phases, I rediscovered Depeche Mode through goth buddies online who were listening to them, then I became acquianted with Anton Corbijn who has worked with DM on a number of their tours and videos and Anton Corbijn has worked with David Lynch.

There's an iconic lady on that cover of 'Beyond The Sea' by Bobby Darin. There's a similarly iconic lady in DM's (lyrics - Martin Gore) 'Behind The Wheel'. That could become a signature look.

Both goths and Depeche Mode have a sense of humor I like and I've noticed that many men over 70 have that same sense of humor. Okay, this is grabbing at straws!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I think that a lot of us may drift in from there. Same level of commitment is required to live the lifestyle- attention to detail, difficult-to-achieve aesthetic, a willingness to endure the slightly skewed stares of others...

You put that so well. I was thinking about this and trying to put it into a short paragraph on a goth forum but I couldn't. I don't do short posts very well:eek: .

verazasulich

New in Town
I'm certainly guilty as charged. I think there was an added push to vintage in my case because Asian interpretations of goth - such as Gothic Lolita styles in Japan - seem to have a strong historical element to them. Many of the frocks have Victorian or Edwardian accents, for instance. While I never really went down the whole Gothic Lolita route, I was definitely influenced by the lace and corsetry and petticoats and doodads...

My interest in history has also helped and I like to dress in a way that reflects that. Also, I reckon I've always had trouble conforming to society - so to speak - and that streak comes out in my attire. Dressing in a '30s or '40s style here in Singapore is likely to make you feel as isolated as you would if you dressed goth.

I still do dress goth when the mood strikes me and I definitely still listen to the music! The vintage clothes that I wear are also of uniformly sombre hue. I don't think I'll ever really grasp the concept of wearing yellow :)

eldonkr

Familiar Face
I gothed out for a spell in high school. But I went from that to just being weird. Not necessarily wearing black, but wearing non matching shoes and shots with tattered jeans, house key in my ear, little pony tails all over my head. That kind of stuff.

I got over it a couple years ago, which is a shame because I still have some of the old clothes and accessories but I dont know how to make them work with my current wardrobe seeing as now I like to dress nice. I'll normally rock a band shirt and jeans in the summer. But other wise I'm in a fedora with a nice shirt. I'd cycle some more suit jackets and other vintage threads into my wardrobe if I wasn't a broke college kid.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i was never technically a goth, i ve always been pretty much a vintage girl, however ive always gone towards the more faded glamour side of life,

i guess thats where i became obsessed with gomez and morticia addams! he is my ultimate pin up!

ive collected momento mori for as long as i can remember and ive usually dated robert smith types! - needless to say i was obseesed with his girlfriends battered jackie o style!

heres some pics of a night out!...
l_d280954e41aa8fd137dd1d0123d7ad33.jpg

im the one with the black bouff!
n624566804_469840_4125.jpg

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
there's been a huge resurgance of gothic styling in the uk thanks to bands like the horrors, howere it is mixed with a 60s garage psyche look too...
has this crossed over to the states yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy