Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

Slytherin

New in Town
I was goth too... Here are two photos of me in 1995 / 1996 i think.
Here with a good friend of mine :
10mv2iw.jpg
and here before a party
x1isk8.jpg
. Since i live a lot of things and i met my boyfriend who comes from punk, batcave and psychobilly. In the other hand my illustrations are around burlesque and pin up in a rockabilly, psychobilly spirit. So slowly my clothing take an other way. Now i'm a 40s inspired girl with goth or rockabilly accessories ( skeleton hands around my neck, skeleton socks, lacy skirts for examples). I always love clothing of 40's and 50's. and always love vintage clothing.( i bought my very first vintage shoes when i was 16. 30's shoes i think, black and white. Flea market are one of my biggest hobbies) But i still listening industrial music and EBM :D

Edward

Bartender
Ada Veen said:
My dad's wife used to date one of the drummers - before they were married, of course ;)

That's so cool, about the effort for historical accuracy. Not sure how accurate the white stripe is though!

N o, not very Eighteenth century..... they were very thought out, though; actually, a court case was fought (and lost) over their claim to copyright in his makeup...

Edward

Bartender
indie1010 said:
BTW, I'm vegan if anybody is curious. So those oxfords will have to be new, and synthetic.

One option - though I note you're in the US - is Brighton's Vegetarian Shoes company: http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

The Cambridge model should do your job:

prd65a6890d-ca40-42d4-a442-26194332dbb2.jpg

They also have a nice brogue, the Westminster Shoe:

prde007a181-7f81-431d-acb0-7dda782aacaa.jpg

A touch more expensive than an equivalent quality leather shoe, but not excessively so, IMO, given the much smaller production run they will be working with.

VintageVixie

Elaina said:
I always have done my own thing. I transcended labels. I might wear goth one day, vintage the next, grunge the day after, mix of all usually.

Even today I don't care to follow what everyone else does...no matter the label placed on them.

Yes, but there are labels, and there is being part of a subculture or two. For me, because I was in the goth subculture so very long ago to begin with, it's never been about labels even though that is what people like to say. But if you are naturally of a dark aesthetic and your personal culture is what the world around you considers dark, no matter what you do with it, you find yourself more comfortable among others who are to some degree like yourself. I've never called myself Goth but believe me I know that when others say the word, they're including me so I will defend the subculture and I will speak up when the Normals (the mainstreamers of society who often seem to think that everyone in a subculture looks the same because they can't see the diversity even if it was a brick and just fell on their foot) get rude about it.

That said, the goth subculture was a part of my life for about twenty years, and I really only stopped being a part of it a couple years ago because it has changed (at least where I was living) into something more about getting dark and 'wild' on the weekends, and then those people go back to their everyday lives and tell stories all about the goth club. You end up meeting fewer and fewer people who really get it, and more and more weekend goths take up the clubs, which may be fine for them, but they're not the ones who understand someone who is pretty much dark at their core and 7/24. The people in the subculture were my second family for many many years.

But even as someone within the subculture I've dressed vintage, mostly 40s influenced, some 50s. And I used to do a lot of Victorian in between. I wouldn't go so far as to fit myself under the psychobilly umbrella even though with a love of the music and a certain aesthetic I easily could, I'm more an odd concoction of mid 20th century and Victorian women in mourning.

eta- sorry I've decided I'm to shy to post pics online. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have never been a goth (though I was called it last year because I wore a charcoal grey greatcoat and carried my keys on a chain attatched to my belt loop) but I have always admired goth clothing in its own way. I have always wanted a leather trench coat to wear with my fedora over a suit, just for the oddness of the look.

I like black clothing. Some days I will wear only black and grey items of clothing (I particularly like Mario's style for this). It's no coincidence that my favourite suit is black. I like the fact that goths always seem to accept my style without making a fuss. I just happen to prefer non-gothic black and dark coloured clothing generally such as a black suit and a charcoal grey overcoat with a grey fedora.

However, I do have a black woolen cape which I only wear at hallowe'en, though I hope to find more occaisions to wear it now.

JohnnieT

New in Town
Goth.

I don't think I've ever participated in the "goth" scene in it's current incarnation, but I have been accused of it.
My personal taste in clothing just happens to be a bit more formal than most, and I tend to like darker colors.
I've also found that most true gothic persons adhere to an almost victorian standard of formality and pay very close attention to their wardrobe.
I tend to get along with the more formal goth persons well because I'm quiet, somewhat shy, capable of seeing, as one poster here put it, the "beauty of decay", and I choose to be a bit more formal in my dress, speech and actions.
I think the current standard of "goth" is a blending of many different scocietal labels like rock-a-billy, death metal, punk, grunge, and even some "sk8ter" (I hate it when people intentionally mis-spell things). These are the people that give those individual groups a bad name. They takes bits and peices of what they like, combine it with liberal amounts of drugs and alcohol, and generally cause trouble in public. I call these people "mall goths" or, sometimes, just "teenagers":rolleyes: .

JohnnieT

New in Town
Amendment.

After reading, I felt the need to make an amendment to my previous post. I have nothing but respect for people who choose a lifestyle that is outside of what is considered "ordinary". I'm not an ordinary person myself. I am also constantly impressed by the level of education and attention to detail many of those aforementioned persons show.
My rant was against the current crop of kids who take some sort of joy in warping the ideas of other groups. The ones who think that goth is all about dressing up like it's halloween and drinking themselves to death on YouTube. I hate seeing someone's lifestyle offended, or in this case mocked, by people who have no clue what they're doing or who they are representing.
I'm sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I'm still new here and would hate to start off on the wrong foot.:eek:

VoodooDolly

New in Town
I found that every part of the goth/alternative scene kept bringing me back to vintage. I watched Dracula, and then I just started on every black and white horror movie I could. Everyone was so classy and glamorous. I still judge every garment I purchase by asking myself, "Would Countess Marya Zaleska [Dracula's Daughter] wear this?" lol From goth music I got into rockabilly, then psychobilly, and that also led me back to retro and vintage style. Looking around online I discovered Beth Short, better known as the Black Dahlia. I thought she was just gorgeous, and that black clothing and hair is totally goth. Bettie Page was beloved by every goth/punk/skinhead guy I knew. Plus, not sure if he's goth per se, but one of my favorite authors/artists is Edward Gorey, and he frequently drew very 1920s and 1930s characters. I feel like goth and retro/vintage style have more in common than many people may see initially. Just my 2 cents.

griffer

Practically Family
From Goth to steampunk to vintage accents in everyday life.

And a lot of hats, especially Fedoras.

I used to be more active on this forum.

Oh well.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny. I was into some subcultural styles too, but never 100% for only one because I found it would be self-limitation.

Well I started of as some kinda long haired punk/ grunge type when I was 13. Long, long ago...then I liked ska, northern soul, psychobilly and this kinda stuff. It took quite a long time to find out that swing and jump blues are even more energetic and even "wild". And since even a mohawk wouldn't upset so many "square" people nowadays... I found myself dressing well and ain't misbehavin' ...

My girlfriend was (is?) a gothic seamstress....and we met when she started a new line of vintage fashion.

[huh] :D

PS: Have a look at
http://www.vecona.de/
http://vecona-vintage.com/

...to see some style developing from goth to vintage.

December

One of the Regulars
I thought I had posted on this thread already but can't find a post by me anywhere so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

I was never a goth but when I was 16-19 I was very into My Chemical Romance, AFI etc. What you might call emo these days :rolleyes:

I'm the one with the cat ears:

DSC01230.jpg

That was my every day look, normally with black nail varnish too. Not as impressive as some of your photos!

I don't really know what the transition was. I was a real hippy up to the age of 16, then I went all emo and then I got more into vintage about 19. I still wore the same clothes but my make up was more vintage inspired- red lipstick and liquid eyeliner. Then when I reached 20 I went full on vintage.

Still an MCR fangirl at heart though!

Flat Foot Floey

What about Misfits? I only listen to their old stuff. Oh usually I find it annoying if people who glorify the "first few records" of bands but without glenn danzig it's different. I saw "Misfits" live with the blackflag and ramones dudes and it was really disappointing.

Halloween 2004
halloweenl.jpg

Halloween 2007
l6a805df9f8c200fe6626e2.jpg

I still like zombies. And I also appear in the videos and album artwork of some german horrorpunk bands. The Crimson Ghosts and The Other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjFqxkvKWk
http://www.angst-im-wald.com/media/the-other/promo-2006

Flat Foot Floey

I never understood Death in June. I know that "politics banned rule" but the part of the gothic scene that plays with fascist aesthetics is really lame.
All this neofolk, dark sun, runes and uniform-fetish weirdos.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner