Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visit to "Old Town" and vintage stores in London

Denton

One of the Regulars
Very nice, Willyto! I am not handy with a camera, as my record on this website will attest. It's possible that someone else has taken a picture of me wearing the Stanley jacket -- I will try to dig something up.

Edward

Bartender
Looks good. I know a few folks who have Old Town bits - Salv, formerly of this parish, has a beautiful tweed suit. Clayton Hartley, the man behind the Candlelight Club http://www.thecandlelightclub.com/ (great night out, less "fancy dress" than you'd assume), has an extensive Old Town wardrobe. It all looks lovely: the only thing I would particularly fault them on is their refusal to do a four pocket waistcoat. I just don't get that at all...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I did ask if they'd be willing to revive an old pattern they had - I liked the cut of the Lounge jacket that they had in the photo gallery but they declined politely(ish).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Okay, went for a Stanley in biscuit stout twill. I had looked at a variety of blue samples but realised that they weren't going to give me a light summer jacket look that I wanted, and so went for something completely different. Hopefully, I'll have guessed this one correctly, though, if I was going to be honest, I didn't find them massively helpful when it came to making a choice: they were hugely forthcoming with advice as far as preferences for cloth etc, but I think we're probably spoiled when it comes to customer service in this niche, so I won't complain too much. Six weeks for delivery, apparently, which should be just in time for our week of summer that we get up here!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have practically replaced my formal, work and casual wardrobes with Old Town/Tin House. I love the quality of the materials and craftsmanship. Sadly, old styles are not revived (once they've had their time, they disappear from the website). Now that I know which styles suit and my size (I tend to be a 42 in most jackets, 44 in the narrower, more fitted jackets: Lounge, Fitzrovia, Marshalsea, Stanley); 36 in most trousers, 38 in the narrow fit such as Stove Pipes), then I tend to scour EBay for older patterns.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Okay, went for a Stanley in biscuit stout twill. I had looked at a variety of blue samples but realised that they weren't going to give me a light summer jacket look that I wanted, and so went for something completely different. Hopefully, I'll have guessed this one correctly, though, if I was going to be honest, I didn't find them massively helpful when it came to making a choice: they were hugely forthcoming with advice as far as preferences for cloth etc, but I think we're probably spoiled when it comes to customer service in this niche, so I won't complain too much. Six weeks for delivery, apparently, which should be just in time for our week of summer that we get up here!
Just wondering how the jacket turned out.

willyto

One Too Many
I have practically replaced my formal, work and casual wardrobes with Old Town/Tin House. I love the quality of the materials and craftsmanship. Sadly, old styles are not revived (once they've had their time, they disappear from the website). Now that I know which styles suit and my size (I tend to be a 42 in most jackets, 44 in the narrower, more fitted jackets: Lounge, Fitzrovia, Marshalsea, Stanley); 36 in most trousers, 38 in the narrow fit such as Stove Pipes), then I tend to scour EBay for older patterns.

I do the same all the time. I found a Lounge jacket and vest with High Rise trousers for less than the jacket price.

5EjM85x.jpg

Vest is defintely to big but I think it can be fixed. The jacket is a 42 and I'm a 40 in the Stanley but being a Harris Tweed jacket and winter and all that when one layers up a bit more room is appreciated...although it isn't really cold here anymore.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My Lounge is brown corduroy - I really like the drape, the flap on the chest pocket, and the cutaway profile to the front.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jacket's very nice, overall fit is good and quality's rock-solid. The armholes are quite high though and initially they were quite tight, but a bit of wear and they relaxed.
Is that style a traditional British one? Way back during my first extended stay in London I noticed that about the armholes and the slimness of the sleeves on men's jackets, and I noticed it was more pronounced in Britain than in, say, Holland or Germany (could be wrong). The reason I ask is because I just got a very nice Harris Tweed that came originally from an Oxford St. shop, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was made in that style.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes it it, Old Town (designer Will Brown) draws inspiration from traditional British tailoring from the late 19th/early 20th century patterns. The Borough is a slightly more contemporary cut with lower/wider armholes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner