Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visited Alan at Johnson Leathers today

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I'm in town speaking at a conference, so I took the opportunity to have my Elk jacket taken in a bit in the back and sides. Also ordered a custom motorcycle jacket in black Kangaroo with armor. Alan took the time to show me his business, some of the custom jackets he's working on, and share some interesting stories. The man really loves his work and it's a pleasure doing business with someone who takes so much pride and ownership in his craft. It's obvious that Alan loves his job and I'm glad to be supporting that in a small way with my orders.

I was impressed with the 7.5 ounce moose hide sample as well as some motorcycle cop jackets made of 5+ ounce "the jacket stands up" kind of leather.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Fun place. I hope you brought plenty of quarters for parking. I know which 5oz leather you're talking about. VERY heavy, but not unwearable. 7oz though? That's insane.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Fun place. I hope you brought plenty of quarters for parking. I know which 5oz leather you're talking about. VERY heavy, but not unwearable. 7oz though? That's insane.
A customer in Montana, I believe. He likes jackets in game hide. Incredibly soft and pliant leather....not stiff but elastic and spongy.

trapp

Practically Family
Alan is a class act. As mentioned, he loves making jackets and he's a pleasure to speak with. It helps that his jackets are amazing.

technovox

One Too Many
The definition I've heard several times among fellow collectors is if a Rolex has a matte dial and/or a plexi (non-sapphire) crystal, then it's considered vintage. Of course, this is a big point of discussion with many collectors.

technovox

One Too Many
He is also a connoisseur of vintage Rolex watches, among other brands, so we talked about that for a while.

Thanks for reminding me. I'm headed over to Johnson Leathers to pick up my new custom jacket, and I'll wear my old GMT. (He should get a kick out of it.)
It's always a pleasure visiting Alan. He's a wealth of information and passionate about vintage leather jackets.

trapp

Practically Family
Looking forward to seeing photos of that new custom!

No need to fear the parade - I think Technovox lives right in the city and the north end of Polk will be far away from the action. Maybe pick up the jacket, wander down to Market, and start breaking it in shoulder to shoulder with Giants fans. I normally not a fan of parades - but have enjoyed the spectacle of the Giants parades.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many

No need to fear the parade - I think Technovox lives right in the city and the north end of Polk will be far away from the action. Maybe pick up the jacket, wander down to Market, and start breaking it in shoulder to shoulder with Giants fans. I normally not a fan of parades - but have enjoyed the spectacle of the Giants parades.

It was sheer Giants insanity here in SF last night! Fires, fireworks and carnage in the streets...
Things are a bit calmer now. And I believe the parade is tomorrow, so ideally I'll be viewing it from the top of Twin Peaks.

Damo

A-List Customer
I am working with Alan on a jacket and he is fantastic. To save me taxes/duties he is sending me a cloth mockup of the jacket instead of sending me a fit jacket. It's a great idea and I really can't wait to get the actual jacket, I've never seen one in person only in photos on here. I have a feeling that it is going to be fantastic!

ykurtz

One of the Regulars

Looking forward to it myself. It will be very light for a motorcycle jacket, since it's kangaroo. I'll have armor in the shoulders, elbows and back while riding, but if I ever want to wear it casually, I can just pull the armor out, and it will be a very light jacket, not a 5+ lbs heavy jacket, but less than 3.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
It was sheer Giants insanity here in SF last night! Fires, fireworks and carnage in the streets...
Things are a bit calmer now. And I believe the parade is tomorrow, so ideally I'll be viewing it from the top of Twin Peaks.

I'm a baseball purist. I don't like the whole wild card thang. What's the point of winning the pennant if some team that gets hot at the end of the year takes the best three of five or whatever? They've always said that games in April count like those in September, but I don't think that's strictly true anymore. I do suppose it's good to keep up the interest in more cities, as long as they don't go too far.

P.S. I worked in the Dodger front office for thirty-four years which may have colored my view.
P.P.S. No one is a bigger JL or Alan fan than me. I'll post about an alteration when I get off my ass.
P.P.P.S. I attached the photo the new way. There's a big border thingy, but it sure is faster.

Attachments

• harry.jpg
    harry.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner