Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waiting Too Long ruining excitement?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
just forget that you are ordering something, and get surprised when it is finally ready. I once ordered a custom boots for almost 2 years with a lot of silence in between, and with a little problem because they sent a photo and in the photo I can see a major flaw, and they changed the workshop to make a new one and I paid them extra cost over the initial agreement just to make it happen out of limbo, but finally it was done and I'm happy with it now nearly 10 years after and still my most worn boots, so perhaps it leaves a bit sour taste but not in the long run eventually I move on and love the object for what it is.

Viking752

Practically Family
A few years ago I decided to have a custom leather holster built by a famous company in Texas. Traded emails directly with the owner and he told me 12 weeks for my particular build, he was true to his word and exactly 12 weeks later I received a shipping notification. That is how a custom order should go in my opinion, yeah maybe a little hiccup now and again but overall it should track as agreed upon.

When it comes to a jacket style that I have researched to death, I am impatient as hell. I have been known to pay for a jacket, and if it is taking too long to receive I have bought one more that arrives more quickly. Oddly enough I am considered a fairly patient person with most things in my life. I would safely say I am not a good candidate for a custom jacket taking over a year to build, I would go broke.

jeo

One Too Many
I don't actually mind long wait times. I feel like I've gone in the opposite direction to the other people in this thread who have been in the hobby for a while. My tolerance for waiting has increased with the years. I think my general excitement levels have gone down significantly. I currently have a Thedi on order since 2 months back, expecting to have it done in July. If it is done in July, great, but if it takes longer that's no problem. I haven't thought about that jacket more than two or three times since I placed the order. I'm sure it will be nice. But I own and have owned many nice jackets. The overwhelming excitement just isn't really there for me anymore. So waiting for 3 months or 6 months doesn't really matter that much tbh.

I'm right there with you man. I don't really get excited for jackets anymore. It used to be that I'd get excited a month or two before a really awesome trip, but now that's gone down to maybe a day or two. Only thing that I get truly excited and stay excited for obviously is seeing friends and loved ones you haven't seen in a while.

This for me as well, I place the order and forget about it. When it comes, it comes. I cannot imagine waiting with baited breath for months on end. On the other hand, excitement is right back when you have to wait for the delivery lol

Absolutely. But does is abate quickly for you as it does for me?

When you've been doing this for a while and have a lot of cool jackets nothing really excites you anymore. What's the leather jacket addict's equivalent of a cokehead needing to go from a dime bag to an eight ball just to feel something?! LOL!!!

Last edited:

Xopher

A-List Customer
I now have two jackets on order. Both different variations of A-1s.
One should be here in 6 months and the other in 3 months.

I’m really excited about them, and I really think the sweet spot is probably 3 to 6 months.

I think it’s a little difficult to stay excited for an order longer than that.

I mean maybe 10 months might still okay but certainly no longer for me.

I have Wesco boots on order that Ive been waiting for since December of 2021 and I couldn’t care less about them anymore. I half ponder selling them already and they haven’t even arrived yet.
If Im being honest may not be such a Wesco loyalist anymore because of the 18 month wait time. I’d praise them all day long with a 10 month wait but at 18 months I’d rather kick it up a few tiers and go real bespoke. Or Clinch or something.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Actually, adding onto my previous thoughts about Wesco and their 18 month wait.

A while back they were measuring their wait time in weeks. But in a nonsensical way.

Their representatives told me 40 weeks…..I mean at that point why not just say 10 months?

Doesn’t that seem a little goofy?

Like they are trying to trick you into thinking it’s a shorter wait time because they said “weeks” instead of “months”.

I don’t know, I find it a little aggravating, like they aren’t talking straight to you.

Now their website says 16 months and a representative told me 18 months on custom boots.

Why not just flat out say “Year and a Half”.

Customers are going to figure out that 18 months means a year and a half anyway, so why not be up front about it with more common vernacular… “one and a half year wait”

It’s like saying your kid is 72 months old…just be a real human and say 6 years.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
In my experience--and your mileage may vary--as you get older it's advisable to not wait too long, as the disappointment can easily be extremely disappointing. So maybe avoid the extended duration delivery?

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here

When you've been doing this for a while and have a lot of cool jackets nothing really excites you anymore. What's the leather jacket addict's equivalent of a cokehead needing to go from a dime bag to an eight ball just to feel something?! LOL!!!

That is an interesting question to answer. I tend to find the most fun part is to plan and spec the jacket. That means that a jacket ordered is “complete” in a certain way freeing me to spec another jacket. That might be the reason I don’t mind waiting, my thoughts are already taken by the next potential steps.

As for how to move on, you hunt for lesser-known styles, less common hides, more unique jackets, etc.

If the Buco is your standard jacket – already makes most people self-conscious. The LW studded J24 is a step up in terms of visual impact.

au4ZINW.jpg

Next step you could go cobalt deer

byabsDo.jpg

Or you could go with your own custom aviator jacket in Bison with burgundy collar.

zXZVOg3.jpg

Or you could go with ELS... Oups need to take proper pics of that one! Reminds me that I have quite a few jackets I need to take pictures of and review… lol

I would not say that the possibilities are endless, but you have quite a few steps to take if you are so inclined :D

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Continuing to talk about how long the wait is makes it seem longer. Best to put it on the back burner and focus on other things…

mumpy

A-List Customer
I'm right there with you man. I don't really get excited for jackets anymore. It used to be that I'd get excited a month or two before a really awesome trip, but now that's gone down to maybe a day or two. Only thing that I get truly excited and stay excited for obviously is seeing friends and loved ones you haven't seen in a while.

Personally I am still pretty early in this journey of jacket collection. I still have way more jackets than the average man though and as such, I am beginning to lose the excitement of acquiring new jackets for sure.

I feel like I have reached a point where the only exciting/important thing remaining is to wear the jackets that I have and create memories and experiences in them.

By doing this I can elevate their status from cool pieces to priceless pieces.

Gone

New in Town
I was just looking at the wesco site, over 16 months production time by their estimate, my order which I placed being told that it would be 10 months is a couple weeks shy of 16 months. I can now say that the ruined excitement of waiting too long is swinging the other way, now I am looking forward to getting my orders simply that I may permanently put wesco behind me. If my original estimate was 10 months and has now turned to 16 at the earliest, how long will customers be waiting who are told 16, two years? More? This seems like it may be cataclysmic for wesco, what will they do to get on top of the situation, lower quality control? Outsource? I have no idea what their options may be, but I don't imagine it will be a happy ending for the company.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I haven’t ordered a custom jacket, but I do have a customized Gus Trim sword. I practice HEMA and I have a few cutting blades. This was a piece I had really dreamed about for years before having it built up. I think the original quoted wait time was 6 months, but it could have been 4 or 5. The actual time was at least a year and a half, maybe a bit more. (It’s been about ten years since the commission)
I was thrilled the whole time, and it was worth the wait. It’s the pride in my sword collection, and that includes a custom Arms & Armor piece and an Albion.
076FF1F7-C22C-4146-9F90-51AD185D3B3A.jpeg

I knew one hundred percent that it would be longer than the quoted wait time, so no surprises. I just assume that to be the case with anything custom made. Triple the wait time…
The thing that irks me is no contact. Just say you’re running later than expected and keep me apprised.
I’ve found the most effective way to move projects ahead is to be super polite and understanding. I’ll send emails along the lines of

“Dear Custom Maker,
Very excited about the project I have on order! When we last spoke you’d given an estimated time of completion to be about 6 months or so, and I figured I’d check in since it’s been 3 and half years. I totally understand these projects can take more time than expected! That’s not a problem at all! Just hoping for an update, and maybe a revised estimate of a finish date?
Thank you for your time!
Sincerely V.R.

I get a much better response when they know I’m not ticked off, and they won’t be getting any angry mail, or anything like that. I give plenty of time between contacting them, six weeks or so, and I almost always wait a few weeks after the expected date of completion.

More than once this has moved a project up in line. When you have “every right” to be mad, but choose to be polite and understanding instead, you can get the other person on your side.
I’ve taken this approach with all kinds of “asks” from day off requests, to dealing with insurance companies, as well as having a sword made or a custom Indy Bullwhip.

And for excitement… like I mentioned, I assume a long wait time, and go from there. I try to purchase items that I want to own for a lifetime, so the excitement is in the owning, not in getting it immediately.

red devil

I haven’t ordered a custom jacket, but I do have a customized Gus Trim sword. I practice HEMA and I have a few cutting blades. This was a piece I had really dreamed about for years before having it built up. I think the original quoted wait time was 6 months, but it could have been 4 or 5. The actual time was at least a year and a half, maybe a bit more. (It’s been about ten years since the commission)
I was thrilled the whole time, and it was worth the wait. It’s the pride in my sword collection, and that includes a custom Arms & Armor piece and an Albion. View attachment 531794

I knew one hundred percent that it would be longer than the quoted wait time, so no surprises. I just assume that to be the case with anything custom made. Triple the wait time…
The thing that irks me is no contact. Just say you’re running later than expected and keep me apprised.
I’ve found the most effective way to move projects ahead is to be super polite and understanding. I’ll send emails along the lines of

“Dear Custom Maker,
Very excited about the project I have on order! When we last spoke you’d given an estimated time of completion to be about 6 months or so, and I figured I’d check in since it’s been 3 and half years. I totally understand these projects can take more time than expected! That’s not a problem at all! Just hoping for an update, and maybe a revised estimate of a finish date?
Thank you for your time!
Sincerely V.R.

I get a much better response when they know I’m not ticked off, and they won’t be getting any angry mail, or anything like that. I give plenty of time between contacting them, six weeks or so, and I almost always wait a few weeks after the expected date of completion.

More than once this has moved a project up in line. When you have “every right” to be mad, but choose to be polite and understanding instead, you can get the other person on your side.
I’ve taken this approach with all kinds of “asks” from day off requests, to dealing with insurance companies, as well as having a sword made or a custom Indy Bullwhip.

And for excitement… like I mentioned, I assume a long wait time, and go from there. I try to purchase items that I want to own for a lifetime, so the excitement is in the owning, not in getting it immediately.

That sword was well worth the wait from what I can see!

El Marro

A few years ago I decided to have a custom leather holster built by a famous company in Texas. Traded emails directly with the owner and he told me 12 weeks for my particular build, he was true to his word and exactly 12 weeks later I received a shipping notification. That is how a custom order should go in my opinion, yeah maybe a little hiccup now and again but overall it should track as agreed upon.

When it comes to a jacket style that I have researched to death, I am impatient as hell. I have been known to pay for a jacket, and if it is taking too long to receive I have bought one more that arrives more quickly. Oddly enough I am considered a fairly patient person with most things in my life. I would safely say I am not a good candidate for a custom jacket taking over a year to build, I would go broke.
El Paso Saddlery? I have a couple of their Ranger belts and a couple holsters as well. The price sure adds up quick when you add options like fancy floral carving but they absolutely do beautiful work.

Aloysius

El Paso Saddlery? I have a couple of their Ranger belts and a couple holsters as well. The price sure adds up quick when you add options like fancy floral carving but they absolutely do beautiful work.

I'd love to see!

zebedee

One Too Many
I admire everyone's patience: as soon as the waiting time is more than two or three months, I wouldn't order in the first place. The only thing I'd wait longer than that for is gestation :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner