Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waiting Too Long ruining excitement?

Arnold

One of the Regulars
I guess I'm kind of the opposite. I mostly only buy things I know I'll still enjoy, or at least have use for, in several years. When I'm not sure about that, then I won't buy something that involves a substantial wait. Simple as that.

aero the heritage

New in Town
As a person who has been in service industry for 19 years, that's where I would have my expectation towards and how much of excitement would be kept there until I finally receive the jacket/custom product. Knowing of how such industry works definitely play in our brain, as with tolerance play its role, will give you justification of how much wait would be acceptable. Passing the point is beginning of downhill and your excitement gets dropped gradually.

You go to barbershop or hair salon to get your hair done without appointment, you would assume that they would take you if they are desperate making money. More popular, more regular clients based they are, more they known for appointment only, you wouldn't assume that walk in is gonna work out, it's not about them being desperate and making extra quick money outta walk ins, it's about their dignity and craftsmanships which you would show respect. However when it comes to the way that barbershop or hair salon 'management/system' works and you would be able to book for date and time and you show up on your appointment, for whatever reason you be sitting and still have to wait for 1hr extra past to your appointment, you have all the right to get super frustrated and unless final look of your hairdo comes out stellar, it would be more of you telling yourself I'd never go to that barber again than I'd be their regular.

I'm on my own waiting game with Lewis leathers #60 the Corsair which I got inspired from MrProper, the lead time I was told was 8 months. I will be happily waiting and I believe my excitement would still be kept by 8 month mark because it was my own decision pulling the trigger with LL outta my research and trust on their management, passing that point and getting extended to further, excitement wouldn't be as peak as it would have been. It's not about the size of company, it's the quality control of not only their products, but having good system with having right people in right departments. Plus making commitments and promises with their customers in transparent manner. More they keep delaying or miss the lead time, less likely it would seem they care about their customers therefore my excitement would get ruined by not depending on how long of wait until I get the product but by the manufacturer.

Xopher

A-List Customer
IMG_0556.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I never expected pnw boot makers to suffer from such long lead times. I'm happy to see them getting plenty of orders, but I thought they would have enough capacity to meet demand.

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
I never expected pnw boot makers to suffer from such long lead times. I'm happy to see them getting plenty of orders, but I thought they would have enough capacity to meet demand.

It's a manpower issue.
On a recent Stitchdown shoecast, Eric Kinney, White's president, mentioned that they just don't have enough skilled workers that can handlast boots. It's the main reason that White's has converted a large bit of their production to stitchdown construction.
It's hard work, not a lot of people want to do it.
This isn't just an issue at White's. If you head to Wesco's website, the main page has "EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES" capitalized and in red script on the top right of their banner.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It's a manpower issue.
On a recent Stitchdown shoecast, Eric Kinney, White's president, mentioned that they just don't have enough skilled workers that can handlast boots. It's the main reason that White's has converted a large bit of their production to stitchdown construction.
It's hard work, not a lot of people want to do it.
This isn't just an issue at White's. If you head to Wesco's website, the main page has "EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES" capitalized and in red script on the top right of their banner.
So they are losing manpower. I had heard that, but I haven't been on their website in a while. That's unfortunate.

Goel

A-List Customer
They had a post saying that they were training people but that it takes time. Still waiting on my order from January of last year, I'd like to place another but I want to make sure I have the fit of my engineers down first.

Gone

New in Town
I am at 18 months for wesco, which is approaching double the original estimate I was given and I was wondering, has anyone received any custom wesco orders recently? If so, how long did they take? I am beginning to suspect that the wait is in reality much longer than they are claiming.

Xopher

A-List Customer
One year, 8 months and 1 week later and my Wescos are here!

A solid 20 months.

How do I feel now? I like them. They are not “peeerfect” but close enough for me to wear for the next 20 years.

Am I still excited?
No not really.
It’s nice to have them, I’m glad I got them, but I’m not as thrilled as the day I placed my order.
I think had it been a year or less I would be thrilled, but 20 months really is just too damn long.

Would I do it again. Probably not. I will probably by stock or used from now on.

Will I wear them a lot? Damn sure I will. I’ll get my moneys worth out of them.

I am pretty bummed though because I missed 14 whole historic events that I would have worn then to in the time between when I was told they would arrive and when they actually did. Oh well

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63

Gone

New in Town

A solid 20 months.

How do I feel now? I like them. They are not “peeerfect” but close enough for me to wear for the next 20 years.

Am I still excited?
No not really.
It’s nice to have them, I’m glad I got them, but I’m not as thrilled as the day I placed my order.
I think had it been a year or less I would be thrilled, but 20 months really is just too damn long.

Would I do it again. Probably not. I will probably by stock or used from now on.

I am pretty bummed though because I missed 14 whole historic events that I would have worn then to in the time between when I was told they would arrive and when they actually did. Oh well
So there is hope!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I ordered a Goodwear jacket expecting an 18 month to 2 year wait, at 6 years with no real due date, I cancelled the order. Not only was the excitement for that jacket completely gone by then, but it somehow killed my enthusiasm for leather jackets in general.

I'm not quite sure why, John accepted responsibility, apologised for messing me around and refunded me immediately but it just killed my passion for jackets.

The worst part of it was withdrawing from the lounge and not getting to interact with everyone here, it really is the nicest, most respectful corner of the net. So many other hobby forums are filled with toxicity, petty squabbles and egos.

Jasonissm

Practically Family

A solid 20 months.

Am I still excited?
No not really.

They look great, I've seen some awful QC coming out of Wesco's MTO shop so I decided to get an in stock pair instead, glad I did since I had to exchange sizes as well, can't imagine waiting that long just to need a remake.

TartuWolf

Practically Family

A solid 20 months.

Am I still excited?
No not really.

Incredible looking boots, congrats! But yeah, 20 months is way longer than I would ever agree to wait.
6 years with no real due date, I cancelled the order
Holy s, 6 years? You should get a compensation not just a refund after 6 years. Absurd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner