Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walmart encounter

sunflo9968

New in Town
Hi all , I've been a lurker for a while. Well, i was in walmart the other day
wearing my nice charcoal overcoat. This guy walks up to me dressed in
swat boots, sweat pants, and a nylon jacket with his gut hanging out. He says to me "Your overdressed!". I said to him "Your not, just get out of bed?"
He replies"I dress like this all the time." I said "sorry to see that, have a nice day. Has this happened to any of you?

moustache

Practically Family
Now THAT is a great response,albeit,one that might get me punched in the nose.I love it!!!
I stay out of Walmarts.If i need something reasonable in price i might go to Target sometimes.
But no Walmart.

Thanks for the experience.

JD

Baggers

Practically Family
Hi, welcome to the Lounge!
I agree, great response. Anyone that rude deserves it. Of course, I suppose you might have been overdressed for Walmart compared to the majority of people who currently shop there, but that's their problem not yours.

However, that lummox better get used to seeing better dressed customers coming through the doors in bigger numbers, what with Walmart's new $4 generic prescription program. I know I'll probably be one of them! :)

Cheers!

Elaina

One Too Many
Awesome response! I get it on occasion, usually every Wednesday night. My cub scouts are used to it (the time I showed in jeans, they all kept asking me if I was sick), the parents aren't.

I got it in a Wal-Mart in a fabric department once. I asked if they were going to close and the girl got rude and replied "yes, thank god, this *expletive deleted* department is crap and going away. Too bad for you, you'll have to get with the 21st century and buy your clothes, so you won't feel the need to overdress everywhere." I wasn't nearly as classy about it as you were. I just replied "Uh, no. If that means dressing as whorishly as you do, I'd sooner never leave the house. But fortunately for me,slut-chic is so passe."

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I think after the initial shock / offense of a statement such as that(especially from someone dressed in that manner), I'd be prompted to ask the individual why my manner of dress mattered to them.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
sunflo9968 said:
This guy walks up to me dressed in
swat boots, sweat pants, and a nylon jacket with his gut hanging out. He says to me "Your overdressed!".

I'd have said, "Thank you!" and walked away while he figured it out.

sunflo9968 said:
Hi all , I've been a lurker for a while. Well, i was in walmart the other day
wearing my nice charcoal overcoat. This guy walks up to me dressed in
swat boots, sweat pants, and a nylon jacket with his gut hanging out. He says to me "Your overdressed!". I said to him "Your not, just get out of bed?"
He replies"I dress like this all the time." I said "sorry to see that, have a nice day. Has this happened to any of you?

I must be the meanest looking guy around because no one has ever come up to me and said something that stupid. :eusa_doh: Mind you , this is coming from the guy that does overdress to go to Walmart or anyplace outside the house.
I usually get compliments or nothing at all. Works for me.
I would have asked the guy if he was a plumber by the way he dressed. Come to think of it plumbers dress better. :p

Regards,

J

sunflo9968

New in Town
In retrospect i wnated to say "your ugly and your mother dresses you funny"
but looking at the ignorant slob it wouldn't have done any good. BTW I was at
Value City chain store and for you fedora wearers they had quite the selection. Check it out. Merry christmas to all.

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

This is the approved Miss Manners type response.

Brava!

I agree - even when I was spat at in the street earlier this year, there is no way I'd have been baited into giving the idiot any kind of satisfaction by way of a verbal response from me. I merely gave him one of my 'superior' looks, complete with raised eyebrow. I think it was wasted though. :mad: Generally I smile sweetly and carry on as though nothing has happened...that's if I even acknowledge the comments at all. Have to say that now I am in a large town, this doesn't happen anymore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Geez, I must live in the most civilized place in the world, because I've never ever heard comments like the ones in this thread -- not even at Walmart. Maybe it's because ours is the single smallest Walmart in the United States, and they don't want to offend a paying customer, but I've always found the people there to be quite courteous -- even in the fabric department, where they never fail to compliment me on my clothes, especially when they recognize that a dress I'm wearing is made of one of their cottons.

Move to Maine, folks. We can't afford to be rude.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
I'd have said, "Thank you!" and walked away while he figured it out.

This seems like the best response. Somehow I don't think I'd think of it if something like this happened to me, though. I'm like George Costanza, thinking of comebacks hours after the fact.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Polka Dot said:
This seems like the best response. Somehow I don't think I'd think of it if something like this happened to me, though. I'm like George Costanza, thinking of comebacks hours after the fact.

Agreed.

Rudeness is never best answered with equal rudeness. That brings you down to their level of classlessness.

Why even end up letting them know that their inane and uneducated comment struck any sort of response nerve?

I find pretending that one does not actually speak English, a great boon. Answer in language of choice...saying something completely random like 'The tea kettle is boiling' in Russian or "why yes, the amazon is rainy!' in Portuguese are my current favorites. This leaves them clueless.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I find pretending that one does not actually speak English, a great boon. Answer in language of choice...saying something completely random like 'The tea kettle is boiling' in Russian or "why yes, the amazon is rainy!' in Portuguese are my current favorites. This leaves them clueless.

I guess my ability to say "Thank you, stupid chicken" in Russian may well come in handy after all. :)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's kinda sounds relative to the geogrophy. That guy in fatigues would be in sync in, say, the southern US at a rural Walmart. You overcoat would not be out of place in the colder climes of the northeast. Where was this encounter?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:

...there are times I wish my mother's side of the family passed down its native tounge. To hurl fiery darts in rapid-fire Italian would ward off all but the most brazen of offenders.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Agreed...

LizzieMaine said:
Geez, I must live in the most civilized place in the world, because I've never ever heard comments like the ones in this thread -- ...

...Perhaps it's a New England thing. Even in Boston, one of the rudest cities in the country, I rarely, if ever, hear a comment, anywhere, but I must admit, I have never been in a Walmart. We don't have them here.

Generally, being the best dressed person in the room puts one in a position of power. That is, unless you are wearing tails at the mall.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I have something like that happen to me. I try to think of this proverb:

Two traveling monks reached a river where they met a young woman. Wary of the current, she asked if they could carry her across. One of the monks hesitated, but the other quickly picked her up onto his shoulders, transported her across the water, and put her down on the other bank. She thanked him and departed. As the monks continued on their way, the one was brooding and preoccupied. Unable to hold his silence, he spoke out. “Brother, our spiritual training teaches us to avoid any contact with women, but you picked that one up on your shoulders and carried her!” “Brother,” the second monk replied, “I set her down on the other side, while you are still carrying her.”

I try hard not to dwell on it when someone gets under my skin, it's very tough but I try. I used to let things like that keep me up at night, and it's just not worth the energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy