Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walmart encounter

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Many times have I been the target of dopey comments like the afforementioned examples and I'm terrible at comebacks (as well as generic witticism and overall rhetoric).... however! I was once waiting in line, and this girlie - typical scantily-clad and scantily-brained broad- comments on my "overdressed" condition (shirt, tie, slacks, hat). I cocked my brow, gave her a mean look and said "Tell me little girl, did you get free lip gloss with that tank top?".
She quietly went away.

GOK said:
I agree - even when I was spat at in the street earlier this year
BegintheBeguine said:
When I was modeling some years ago, I was spat at by some hooligans who had climbed up to the top of the bridge we were at the base of.

Now- I've heard about some pretty rude comments.. but spitting at someone for dressing properly?? You didn't have any fur on, did you?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sunflo9968 said:
In retrospect i wnated to say "your ugly and your mother dresses you funny"
but looking at the ignorant slob it wouldn't have done any good. BTW I was at
Value City chain store and for you fedora wearers they had quite the selection. Check it out. Merry christmas to all.

I'll probably get flack for saying this...but it was Wal-Mart...not exactly known for outfitting the fashionable ladies & gents around town...well, around most towns. Somehow, I don't think I'll be watching the Academy Awards anytime soon and hear the interviewer ask a starlet about her outfit and hear "It's off the rack from Wal-mart!" although...thinking about some of the horrendous outfits I've seen the Hollywood in-crowd wear at times, male and female, Wal-Mart could be a step-up...

The fun part is I'm hearing all these witty retorts in my mind spoken by Sir John Gielgud in Arthur. "Normally, someone would have to go to a bowling alley to meet someone of your stature." And "Good afternoon. If you and your undershirt will take two paces backwards, I could enter this dwelling."

koopkooper

Practically Family
When I was younger and first developed a taste for vintage clothes and music I was heavily into Rockabilly.....now can you imagine the life of a Rockabilly cat with a ten foot quiff and sideburns. Rude comments were a daily occurance and you quickly learnt to size someone up and have a prepared comment ready to go...I used to simply pick their physical fault or clothing fault and form something smart out of that. I admit it isn't nice but thats the way the ball bounces.
I still get comments about my clothing, hat or moustache but I would say it is rare these days.
My fave was a guy who walked up to me and said "you look like Dick Tracy"
I replied..."you look unemployed"

I was also asked in KFC if I was from the past "yes I am, I came back in my Tardis because the Colonels 11 secret herbs and spices have not been invented yet to produce those succulent drumsticks...now get the manager you pimply faced little *%#&!.
I then proceeded to tell the manager how offended I was and that I expect to be served a burger and not a commentry on my clothing.

Very Satisfying

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
My ex is Greek and after she speaks of anyone she thinks is evil, she spits. It's to discharge the demons.

I'm told it's not ladylike to spit. Now what am I supposed to do?

We're not talking about big clammers here. :eek: Just a sort of 'ptoo' by pushing your tounge through your lips. For example, you've had dealings with an incredibly mean neighbor, he used to beat your dog or something like that. So when you relate the story to someone years later, after you're done, you spit out the very thought of the evil s.o.b. 'Ptooey'

Regards,

Senator Jack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mike in Seattle said:
The fun part is I'm hearing all these witty retorts in my mind spoken by Sir John Gielgud in Arthur. "Normally, someone would have to go to a bowling alley to meet someone of your stature." And "Good afternoon. If you and your undershirt will take two paces backwards, I could enter this dwelling."

Those are some of the very best lines (and deliveries) on film!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I don't do Walmart -- first I fear that, by supporting them, I will be supporting a world takeover; second I was a union steward when I worked for the County of San Diego and we union maids will not frequent such a place.

Nice to know I have avoided the kinds of rudeness some of you have faced.

I think some people feel threatened when they see someone dressed in a way that mystifies them -- they would see many of you as dressed in a costume from the past. Like me when I wear my fedoras in Iowa -- I get stares and occasionally a rude comment.

When I was young, some kids beat up kids they thought were dressed "funny." Guess things haven't changed much over the years.

I don't get it -- but then, I am not particularly xenophobic.

karol

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My relpy

sunflo9968 said:
Hi all , I've been a lurker for a while. Well, i was in walmart the other day
wearing my nice charcoal overcoat. This guy walks up to me dressed in
swat boots, sweat pants, and a nylon jacket with his gut hanging out. He says to me "Your overdressed!". I said to him "Your not, just get out of bed?"
He replies"I dress like this all the time." I said "sorry to see that, have a nice day. Has this happened to any of you?

It would go like this:

"Well, sir, nice of you to say so. But they just let me out of NAPA STATE MENTAL HOSPITAL where I just did 10 YEARS for hacking some guy in a shopping mall for staring at me. They gave me this warm overcoat when I was released. Ohhh, I haven't taken my medication today!"
lol

Merlin

Familiar Face
Hemingway Jones said:
Hello Merlin, something tells me you're a Severin fan. ;)
Thanks for the information on Walmart. I bought a multi-tool from them once, but I did it on-line. :)

A Severin fan? Whatever gave you that idea? ;) I'm just glad he's not syndicated anymore; it's so good to have him hitting the local issues again!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Isn't it supposed to bring good luck in Greece?

You have to spit between your index and middle finger 3 times (ptuh,ptuh,ptuh). It's more for protection, somewhat like crossing yourself. My previous marriage was to a greek man. I learned alot of useless stuff. [huh]

B

BAZ

I have a few scars on the BACK of my head from being attacked when I was young for being "weird". Yes, I was a Rockabilly/Punk and pink hair wasn't normal in Liverpool. Scared people always jump you from behind
I was once beat up by a 40+ old guy at a bus stop (I was 15 with a mohawk) because I was a "punk" and so was his son, who he obviously disapproved of!!
We often get asked at Viva Las Vegas if there's a John Travolta convention in town!?!?!?!!?
Jeeez!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic