Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"War Room" help:

RLM

Familiar Face
I don't actually have a "War Room", just a smattering of WWII and general military items and books, but I've decided that some diecast WWII aircraft models would add interest to my meager collection. I built many airplane models as a kid, but no longer have the time, or patience, to build and paint a bunch of plastic models. What do you all think of the different diecast model makers? I'm looking for authenticity, not something you'd buy a 5 year old, yet don't want to spend a hundred dollars per model either. I prefer 1/48 scale, but limited space suggests I may have to go with 1/72. I get catalogs from historicaviation.com all the time, and have bought a few things, but never any of the models they sell. I know they sell Hobby Master, Corgi, and others. Any other places that you all prefer to buy from?

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Most of my diecast are from Armour (Franklin Mint) in 1/48 scale. The Corgi 1/72 scale Spitfire Mk.XIVs I've been looking at lately look nice, plus I have a couple other Corgi 1/72 aircraft in my collection. I have no complaints with the ones I have. However, their 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk I is a bit off the mark, with the colours not being quite right and not enough dihedral in the wing. Overall, except for that one, I'd rate Corgi as being a good choice.
I have no experience with Hobby Master, but photos I've seen of some of their Spitfires showed a slightly portly appearance. I don't know if that is the case, or if the camera was playing tricks on us.

CBI

One Too Many
google "Bad Cat Toys" they sell great die cast and cheaper plastic a/c that are terrific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou