Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warmer Climates and how we dress

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's true that Banana Republic stores had a certain "Rain Forest Cafe´" charm, but they were never a true outfitter in the sense of Abercrombie & Fitch. Banana Republic, which was founded in the mid to late 1970s, sold khakis before they were popular and they were well situated when the safari craze came along in the early 80s. That's all. Let's not over-romanticize them. Save that for A&F; for heaven's sake, Ernest Hemingway once bought a spear gun from their Manhattan store.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
carebear said:
good plan, no need to wash them so often... :D
That works, too! lol

Cookie, you need to post some pics! That sounds like an awesome trip. Asmuch as I love the idea of going on safari, I just have never gotten around to actually planning it and doing it. My wife and I ahd it all planned out once, inclduing hiking Mt Kilimanjaro, but we just never did get around to doing it. [huh] We definately need some pics in this thread, though!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cookie does Africa

I had a couple of experiences out on safari. I may be able to find personal pix but for now here's Vic Falls Mose Oa Tunya (the smoke that thunders)...

When we stayed in Zim we stayed for one week at a time on layover so I did Hwange Park and Makalololo Game Camp. http://www.eyesonafrica.net/african-safari-zimbabwe/makalolo.htm http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/makalolo-plains-camp-zimbabwe.htm

Another time we did a special flight all around the world in 16 (not 80 days) and we spent 3 days in Kenya at Masai Mara below Kilimanjaro. You could not see the mountain till the mist lifted in the afternoon.

Re Hwange: An elephant in musk killed 2 tourists this week and wounded the husband because the guide missed when it charged. This is not a first especially as there are now too many elephants in these parks for the amount of food.

Re Safari Gear:
The Akubra Snowy River is good.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
Re Hwange: An elephant in musk killed 2 tourists this week and wounded the husband because the guide missed when it charged. This is not a first especially as there are now too many elephants in these parks for the amount of food.

[sarcasm]If only there were some proven, effective way to manage elephant populations while contributing to their country's wildlife management funding for habitat preservation and poacher control and giving local farmers a reason to view the wildlife as an economically positive resource as opposed to mere threats to their safety and crops... [/sarcasm]

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
If only.

HollandHolland.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
cookie said:
I had a couple of experiences out on safari. I may be able to find personal pix but for now here's Vic Falls Mose Oa Tunya (the smoke that thunders)...

When we stayed in Zim we stayed for one week at a time on layover so I did Hwange Park and Makalololo Game Camp. http://www.eyesonafrica.net/african-safari-zimbabwe/makalolo.htm http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/makalolo-plains-camp-zimbabwe.htm

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

carebear

Mojave Jack said:
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Marine, wine, no corkscrew? You gnawed through that glass hour number 4.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
carebear said:
Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Marine, wine, no corkscrew? You gnawed through that glass hour number 4.
Or, you crack the neck of the bottle off with a bayonet, then drink with clenched teeth to strain the errant shards of broken glass. [huh]

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Hot!

Hm.. summer is comming, and im moving to LA on top of it..
Im desperate for tips, because all i have is tweed and wool pants! :(

I recently had a seamstress to make me a perfect pattern for 30's highwaists,
but i am very unsure of wich materials that would be both 30's stylish and a bit cooler. Flannel maby?

Mr. Rover said:
Honestly, I've never even looked for vintage in Hong Kong! Anybody know any good vintage stores or thrift stores in Hong Kong? Ahh....how swell it would be to wear a nice linen suit, with a boater at my side, having afternoon tea in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel...

Im interested in hongkong vintage things too. My sister goes there sometimes with her work, so please post if anyone knows.

carebear

Tomasso said:
Or, you crack the neck of the bottle off with a bayonet, then drink with clenched teeth to strain the errant shards of broken glass. [huh]

Bring us a bottle and throw away the cork, for tonight we drink like MEN!

on safari...

and thus on topic...

:eek:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Hammelby said:
Hm.. summer is comming, and im moving to LA on top of it..
Im desperate for tips, because all i have is tweed and wool pants! :(

I recently had a seamstress to make me a perfect pattern for 30's highwaists,
but i am very unsure of wich materials that would be both 30's stylish and a bit cooler. Flannel maby?

Im interested in hongkong vintage things too. My sister goes there sometimes with her work, so please post if anyone knows.

I'd go with light-colored cotton. Seersucker is cool, too. So is linen, but it's prone to wrinkling.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Guayaberra shirts at Marshalls

I am not sure what geographic regions of the country Marshall's (sort of like a TJ Maxx) is located in, but they had quite a few Cubavera brand Guayaberra shirts there yesterday. I ended up buying 2 for $14.99 each. Supposedly the original price was $45.00. And of course since I bought them yesterday the weather went from the 70's down to the 50's. Such is life in the Midwest.

Cheers,

---Scott

Personally, my warm-weather gear is the same as "everyday wear" khakis, just that I usually carry my jacket instead of wearing it, and if it's really hot and humid I might consider using Ace bandages to attach Blue Ice-type cold-packs to my dorsal and ventral radiator cores under the shirt. (Depends on how low-profile of cold-packs I can get in the AO, and on the risk of the "bulge" being mistaken for something it's not.)

On safari or in the South Pacific, I'd probably need to stop and change packs about every 2-3 hours, possibly even more often unless the Land Rover has A/C.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
IS there any chance you might share such a pattern? We've all been begging for that very thing for YEARS.

Hi scotrace.

Well, what i we really did were to let a pro have a look at the 1934 pattern you can buy from evadress.com, and fitted it to my body and twist (higher waist, slimmer fit in upper region, looser downwards). I dont know if that pattern will make any sense to others than W 32 L 34, and its not completely vintage now that is been modified. Ask me again if you are desperate.

Otherwise i would (just for fun) recomend a peek at my freinds masters-collection,
a modern enterpetation of the mens 30's clothing. Amongst of the creations you will find a "Borsalino cap"! Very swank and clever design indeed.

http://www.afgang2006.dk/
Click: English>Fashion>Hannah Bøgholm Høirup

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR