Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was Your Hometown Retro?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've often thought my interest in all things Golden Era had a lot to do with the town where I grew up -- a little community on the Maine Coast of about 2000 people where, during my childhood at least, the clock seemed to have stopped around 1950.

I grew up in the sixties and seventies, but many of my memories of childhood revolve around things which had disappeared from the scene most everywhere else. Our town had a big brick building in the center of town which was split between a greasy-spoon lunch room called "Mary's" where you could get a ham and egg breakfast any time of day, and a thirties-era drugstore complete with soda fountain and a crusty old Mr Gower-type pharmacist who'd yell at us kids to "Put them funnybooks back, this ain't a @#%! library!" as we sipped our ten-cent glasses of Coke after school.

We also had a hole-in-the-wall grocery store that featured penny candy, root-beer popsicles, and dented cans of Stokely's Green Beans and Snow's Clam Chowder at 10 cents off. The proprietor was a tall, gaunt friend of my grandfather's named Sid, who liked to terrify kids by showing them the spare glass eye he carried in his apron pocket.

My grammar school dated back to the early twenties, and there was no room for any kind of a cafeteria, so we ate our lunches in the basement, in a converted coal bin with soot on the walls. Generations of kids had written their names in the soot, and ours continued the tradition. Our desks were bolted to the floor, and had holes for inkwells, but that tradition, at least, was long gone by the time I started school. We used the inkwell holes instead to store our milk money.

We had seven gas stations in town, which seemed a bit much even at the time, and the price wars were colossal -- I can't remember my mother ever having to buy more than a dollar's worth of gas at a time. We also had a drive-in restaurant downtown, where you could get pizza, burgers, chicken-in-a-basket, and soft-serve ice cream, and when "Jordan's" opened for the season you knew summer had arrived.

If we wanted to see a movie, we had to go over to the next town where we could choose between a downtown twenties-era indoor theatre or a drive-in. I could get in free, since my uncle was the projectionist for both theatres, and there were always kids' events on the weekends. Next door to the downtown theatre there was a cafe with an art-deco aluminum front and a big neon sign that was always a great spot for a snack after the movie, and up the street a bit you could kill some time in a Woolworth's, with a creaky wooden board floor that always smelled like linseed oil -- just as anything you bought there always would.

We didn't have any malls, fast-food franchises, big-box outlets, trendy upscale boutiques, or suburban sprawl.

So with all that, is it any wonder I grew up feeling displaced from my own era?

What was *your* hometown like? Were there "retro" corners you enjoyed?

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
Sound slike a great place, lizzie. Thanks for sharing all that. My town was nothing of the sort. I had to sleuth my way into refusal of the shallow present.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a cool town

In my home town, they tear down anything that's been standing for more than twenty years, build crappy malls that must be tailor-made for drug dealers and junkies (because they congregate there in droves) and foster a general lack of appreciation for anything 'obsolete' or 'old-fashioned'.:mad:

What an idyllic place to spend a childhood you describe!

flat-top

Well, growing up in the Bronx, you can bet that at every turn was old school goodness: drug stores where you could get egg creams, soda delivery men who drove a truck filled with phosphates of every flavor, the El train that went right through my neighborhood. Mind you, this was the late 70's/ early 80's. According to my folks, our little area was basically unchanged since the 40's/50's.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Retro architecture, big yes. Lots of brick Victoriana. Lots of old factories I loved to check out from the El train. (Saw a warehouse up close, the chained up half-pitbulls, decided they were best admired from afar)

I loved the little hole-in-the-wall restaurants, the old-school Jewish delis, the Chinese places, and the Italian/Greek/Sicilian places. There *was* something of cleanliness/taste inverse relationship for some of those joints but whatthehell, good for the immune system! lol

Tony in Tarzana

I'm also a child of the 1960s and '70s, having been born in 1961. My parents had a little cabin in Alderpoint, California (Near Garberville, south of Eureka) and we spent summer vacations there.

There were definitely diners and fun little tourist attractions that dated back the the 1940s and earlier. Steam train rides, too, in fact I have probably travelled more miles behind steam locomotives than Diesels. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
We didn't have any malls, fast-food franchises, big-box outlets, trendy upscale boutiques, or suburban sprawl.

I'd like to talk to you about the way Maine is changing, at least Southern Maine. History is being razed for condos, Starbucks and all the other ills you mentioned. Did you know that the owners of the Black Point Inn want to demolish part of the building and the cottages to build condos? My favorite antique store was sold to a developer who is making into offices and condos. The list goes on. Let's rebel. Feel free to PM me. :D

Naama

Practically Family
Retro.... hmm.... Well, probably. In some places in the city you could really think it's like 1800 something or early 1900. It's just great ;)

Naama

LizzieMaine

Bartender
PrettySquareGal said:
I'd like to talk to you about the way Maine is changing, at least Southern Maine. History is being razed for condos, Starbucks and all the other ills you mentioned. Did you know that the owners of the Black Point Inn want to demolish part of the building and the cottages to build condos? My favorite antique store was sold to a developer who is making into offices and condos. The list goes on. Let's rebel. Feel free to PM me. :D

Absolutely-- check your PMs!

Searsport was far from immune to the changes -- in the twenty years since I left there, the place has changed so much I hardly recognize it. The buildings themselves are mostly still there -- but oh, my, how the *character* of the town has changed. And I think that's terribly terribly sad.

Michaelson

One Too Many
My hometown remained a timecapsule until the late 60's, and I was fortunate to have at least enjoyed it for a brief time as I grew up. Think the town in 'Christmas Story', and you've got my hometown...complete with kids, elementary school, downtown, houses and all. That movie could have easily been filmed in my home town as it actually existed up through 1963.

At that time heavy industry started to move out or close, and the good incomes that had been realized by generations of workers dried up. When the area became a part of the 'rust belt' during the mid 80's, just about everyone left (including me and my family). They've torn down just about everything I remember and grew up with now, including my huge brick church that was built in 1917, and had 18 inch thick walls. Said it was 'too expensive in upkeep', but built a monstrosity across the street that is the ugliest thing you've ever laid eyes on.

Almost all the old Victorian homes have been torn down for the building of a new high school, as well as enlarging the college.....so there's nothing left of Portsmouth, Ohio that had stood the test of time for well over 150 years. If it weren't for my parents living there, I'd never go back for a visit.

Regards! Michaelson

Twitch

I grew up in St. Louis and it is full of ancient schools, building and houses in brick and frame construction. Seems like everything east of the Rockies is in a time warp. In the Southwest urban areas are renewed often. Part of it is economics, to be sure, but in L.A. you'd never see several square miles of old abandoned buildings as you do in eastern urban areas.

The Packard factory still stands derelict in Detroit. Built in 1907 the Last Packard was made in 1956. Go figure.
23pacdoor.jpg

I do collect pics of old brick buildings off the web for fun though.;)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I grew up in a city here in CT. But the town where my husband and I are raising our kids is very "Norman Rockwell" like. The whole town is involved in the Memorial Day parade, either you watch or you march! All the kids get a big kick out of it. We have a beautiful Main Street, which still has some lovely shops, although unfortunately the "Mom and Pop" stores are leaving more and more due to the high rents.

My biggest gripe is the way all the nice solid little houses are being knocked down to make way for the McMansions!:rage: within the last decade, our town has become very transient and people don't stay and put down roots like they used to. They move in, buy these huge homes, stay for a few years and get transferred again. It's sad that there is less and less community spirit:(

Novella

Practically Family
Unfortunately I didn't really take advantage of my home town's "retro" area until right before I went off to college and my parents moved to another state. The town I grew up in had a lot of history, but much of that history had been built over and had been overtaken by new buildings and stores. I lived in the part of Fremont (California Bay Area) that was probably new in the 60s/70s (I grew up there in the 90s). So older but not old enough to where I was interested in it. My high school was built in the 1960s, my parents house was probably built in the 60s. There was Albertson's, Target, an outdoor shopping center, a mall on the other side of the highway - all very modern chain stores.

Other parts of town had some older areas, and I do mean older - way back to the days of the missions with Mission San Jose. My favorite part of town was the Niles area. Niles was the home of the Essanay film company in the early part of the 20th century and it was there that some of Charlie Chaplin's early films were made. The main street in the Niles area has a nice old town feel and antique shops and small stores. The houses in the area are also very cute. Unfortunately I didn't "discover" Niles until I had a license and a car to drive myself places. I'm still annoyed at myself for not taking advantage of the silent movies that are shown there. But I didn't live in Niles or near the Mission so my love of the past and the golden era sprouted from somewhere else than where I grew up. If any town contributed to my love of all things old it would probably be San Francisco.

essanay.jpg

Demolished years ago unfortunately. :(

atgetdiagonal.jpg

I'm not even sure how old these buildings really are, but at the very least they're on a street that has been around for a long time.

atgetslightdiagonalhotel.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I grew up stranded in the suburbia. The elementary school looked like a prison and there were very few places to play or explore. I don't understand why some parents are so eager to to raise their kids in such dull places--places that are expensive and probably also make for an hour's commute each way. But my grandparents lived in a tiny town that probably hadn't changed much since the 30s or 40s. I loved visiting them.

I love working in downtown Denver: it's a wonderful mixture of old and new. (Most of the vintage shops are south of downtown.) And everything is within walking distance!

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I grew up in a town of 1600 people in western Nebraska. The main street still has all the original old buildings, and businesses use the bottom portions of them. I actually managed to find a picture of the town as it is today.

This is mainstreet. You'll notice an old Gambles sign - this store just celebrated its 76th anniversary.

bridgeport.jpg

This is a picture of the original courthouse. I remember in high school, there was a huge battle in town about whether or not to demolish it and put a new one up. It's pretty run down. But there were those who adamently opposed building a new one, and they saved it. The compromise in the end was that they put on an addition to the courthouse (seen in the left-hand side of the pic).

morrill_courthouse_jpg.jpg

Etienne

A-List Customer
I think mine was! I grew up in a little community in L.A county where all of the movie studios used to be. Many of the streets were named after WWII sites and there was a park in the center of town called Victory Park, in honor of the vetererns. My siblings and I went to the same elementary school our folks went to as kids (they met each other in the 6th grade!). (And we married in the same church they married in in 1945.) We walked to school and always stopped in at the little ma and pa store on the way to buy penny candy and wax lips and those little wax bottles with juice in them! We walked everywhere--and a favorite destination was our old local library where we always held our breath as we walked under the oleander trees because our folks told us they were poisonous! Inside, the wood tables shone in the sunlight streaming in through the old windows and it smelled of lemon oil and the scent of old books. I still remember the sound of the elm trees scratching on the glass on windy days as we sat at those tables engrossed in reading. We roller skated up and down the streets, put on "shows" in our backyard and charged a penny for admission! We used clothespins to clip old playing cards on the tires of the one bike we all shared and we had "bike parades" when we played with the neighbor kids. We saved our allowance to buy ice cream from the Good Humor man now and then, and on hot days our folks turned on the hose sprinkler and all the kids raced through, sliding on the wet grass.

We had 2 or 3 movie theaters we could walk to and we'd pay 25 cents to get in. We'd see the "newsreels", watch a double feature (with cartoons!) and then stay for a drawing afterwards. If your ticket stub matched the winning numbers you could walk away with anything from a baseball glove to a new Schwinn bike! We really, really wanted the bike because all six of us shared the same one! When I got a little older, my sisters and I were allowed to walk to the shopping center. Oh what good days those were! We'd shop for fifty cent nylon stockings, always in the color "cinnamon", have cokes and french fries at the local drugstore counter, and then poke around Grant's for Tangee lipstick and Coty face powder.

I can remember the day my Grandpa took me to the Safeway Supermarket that had just opened, and it had automatic doors, the first in our town. He convinced me he was a magician and could make the store doors open by commanding them to obey him! I fell for it hook, line and sinker! (Hey, I was only 4 or 5!) Believe it or not, many of the neighbors on our block are still there and the houses look very much the same as they always did. The name of the park has changed but it's still in the center of town. My folks lived there all their lives, almost right up to the day they passed away, four months apart from each other, after 58 years of marriage. There has been a downtown restoration project going on for some time, and they have retained the quaintness of the town. Sony took over the old MGM studios but the rest still looks much the same. Funny, all I could think about when I went away to college was how much I wanted to get away from that small, ordinary little town, the old-fashioned houses and the out-of-date shopping center--and really experience LIFE. And now how I wish I had it all back again...!

Etienne

A-List Customer
I think mine was! I grew up in a little community in L.A county where all of the movie studios used to be. Many of the streets were named after WWII sites and there was a park in the center of town called Victory Park, in honor of the vetererns. My siblings and I went to the same elementary school our folks went to as kids (they met each other in the 6th grade!). (And we married in the same church they married in in 1945.) We walked to school and always stopped in at the little ma and pa store on the way to buy penny candy and wax lips and those little wax bottles with juice in them! We walked everywhere--and a favorite destination was our old local library where we always held our breath as we walked under the oleander trees because our folks told us they were poisonous! Inside, the wood tables shone in the sunlight streaming in through the old windows and it smelled of lemon oil and the scent of old books. I still remember the sound of the elm trees scratching on the glass on windy days as we sat at those tables engrossed in reading. We roller skated up and down the streets, put on "shows" in our backyard and charged a penny for admission! We used clothespins to clip old playing cards on the tires of the one bike we all shared and we had "bike parades" when we played with the neighbor kids. We saved our allowance to buy ice cream from the Good Humor man now and then, and on hot days our folks turned on the hose sprinkler and all the kids raced through, sliding on the wet grass.

We had 2 or 3 movie theaters we could walk to and we'd pay 25 cents to get in. We'd see the "newsreels", watch a double feature (with cartoons!) and then stay for a drawing afterwards. If your ticket stub matched the winning numbers you could walk away with anything from a baseball glove to a new Schwinn bike! We really, really wanted the bike because all six of us shared the same one! When I got a little older, my sisters and I were allowed to walk to the shopping center. Oh what good days those were! We'd shop for fifty cent nylon stockings, always in the color "cinnamon", have cokes and french fries at the local drugstore counter, and then poke around Grant's for Tangee lipstick and Coty face powder.

I can remember the day my Grandpa took me to the Safeway Supermarket that had just opened, and it had automatic doors, the first in our town. He convinced me he was a magician and could make the store doors open by commanding them to obey him! I fell for it hook, line and sinker! (Hey, I was only 4 or 5!) Believe it or not, many of the neighbors on our block are still there and the houses look very much the same as they always did. The name of the park has changed but it's still in the center of town. My folks lived there all their lives, almost right up to the day they passed away, four months apart from each other, after 58 years of marriage. There has been a downtown restoration project going on for some time, and they have retained the quaintness of the town. Sony took over the old MGM studios but the rest still looks much the same. Funny, all I could think about when I went away to college was how much I wanted to get away from that small, ordinary little town, the old-fashioned houses and the out-of-date shopping center--and really experience LIFE. And now how I wish I had it all back again...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925