Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was Your Hometown Retro?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Michaelson said:
We were in Ft. Worth a couple summers ago, and there are indeed some BEAUTIFUL Art Deco classics in the downtown area. We throughly enjoyed walking around and admiring the original designs. Even the old train station is something to behold!!!

Wish they'd do some restoration of those monsters down by the tracks!

Regards! Michaelson

Funny you should mention the old T&P train station - it's been restored and converted to loft condos! http://www.texasandpacificlofts.com

For the curious on the forum, here are some shots of the gorgeous Art Deco Texas & Pacific station in downtown Fort Worth:

86505381_b4d3743ff1.jpg

22726899_a3e44a5e7d.jpg

f3.jpg

f21.jpg

f29.jpg

tp4.jpg

tp7.jpg

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
And here are some random shots of the classic buildings in Fort Worth that I've taken:

The Electric Building - 1929 office building converted into residential - where my loft is:

166093305_2424df01cd.jpg

141651988_61f46de729.jpg

The Sinclair Building - gorgeous Zigzag Moderne office building from 1930:

96978330_57d0e3f8d3.jpg

96976495_be69313701.jpg

The Western Union Building - still used for offices and retail:

151192401_8cf5b3f352.jpg

116071180_525c2b8fe9.jpg

The Flatiron Building - built in 1907, fully restored, and being converted to retail and condos:

141504374_74123ce448.jpg

141504925_acafe3ba10.jpg

There are plenty more, but I don't want to ramble. So, yeah, I like it here a lot. :)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
On this note, reminiscent of Detroit, one of the most towns with the most potential for beauty I've ever seen is Mineral Wells, Texas. Anyone who has ever been there will think I am completely insane, because now it is mostly derelict and drug trafficking runs rampant. But, in the 1920s up through the 1950s, it was a resort for the rich and famous. The town was known for its mineral water and it became immensely popular. Celebrity sightings around town were the norm, and so the town flourished during that era. Nearly the entire town is art deco. Even the interior of such mundane buildings as the police station and city hall are amazingly still intact and have some of the most fabulous architectural details I've ever seen. The massive Baker Hotel still sits, abandoned: http://users3.ev1.net/~bakerhotel/

It is a shame to see something that was once so amazing (and could be again) sitting derelict.

Mineral Wells is indeed a sadly forgotten little town. It was a big destination up until Interstate 30 was built and completely bypassed it (the old Highway 80 ran straight through town from Fort Worth). It has been in hibernation since then.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If you get a chance snag a copy of Cowtown Moderne, it's a nice book..

Cowtown Moderne: Art Deco Architecture of Fort Worth, Texas
Product Details:
ISBN: 0890963134
Format: Hardcover, 224pp
Pub. Date: March 1991
Publisher: Texas A&M University Press

dr greg

One Too Many
Foat Wuth

What was the name of the retro rooftop bar/music venue there, I went there in the 80's to check it out but the whole town was shut down for MLK's birthday so I ended up catching the Neville Bros in some bar in Dallas..stayed at a real old hotel there too, near the station, forgotten the name

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
dr greg said:
What was the name of the retro rooftop bar/music venue there, I went there in the 80's to check it out but the whole town was shut down for MLK's birthday so I ended up catching the Neville Bros in some bar in Dallas..stayed at a real old hotel there too, near the station, forgotten the name

The music venue in downtown was the Caravan of Dreams. Sadly, the Caravan closed because the owner wanted to concentrate on some other project of his. The Reata restaurant, Marble Slab Creamery, and the Etta's Place bed & breakfast now uses the old Caravan space and rooftop, while the small theatre part of the Caravan is now the Four Day Weekend improv theatre. Here's the site now, as captured by my Holga camera - the Caravan/Reata and associated shops are in two old buildings, one from 1884 and one from 1887, that were restored in 1983:

160907049_7d8cdd2ba0.jpg

An old hotel near a train station? That was probably the old Hotel Texas (where JFK stayed the night before his assassination), which was just renovated and reopened as a Hilton. There's also the old Blackstone Hotel, though, now a Courtyard by Marriott, but it's not near any stations.

Hotel Texas/Fort Worth Hilton:

texashotel.jpg

Blackstone Hotel/Courtyard by Marriott:

blackstone3.jpg

dr greg

One Too Many
JR

Sorry. the old hotel was in Dallas, had been restored, and the great part was that the shoeshine guy at the station was their hustler if that's not too strong a word, which I thought was cute, that's one thing you DO NOT see in this country, is shoeshiners. It was the 80's as I said and I can't remember the name of the place, but it was a cool old joint that looked down onto the station diagonally, there's a long story about how a Dolly Parton lookalike trucker's wife smuggled me in to the Neville Brothers gig through the women's toilets of an adjoining club in some old warehouse refurb, but I won''t go into it here.

Dragonia

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
Searsport was far from immune to the changes -- in the twenty years since I left there, the place has changed so much I hardly recognize it. The buildings themselves are mostly still there -- but oh, my, how the *character* of the town has changed. And I think that's terribly terribly sad.

Hey Lizzie, you're right... everything is just going to *poo* here in Maine and all across NE. I'm from central "touristville" NH on Lake Winnie and I'm younger than you, but the changes that went on between 1986 and 1993 really shook everything up and it's crazy to think back on what it was like in 1985 when I moved there. I love that the out of towners come there for the charm! What charm? The million dollar lake houses built by other out of towners? As for Portland, ENOUGH WITH THE CONDOS!!! Someone has to shut these people down! Don't get me started on VT.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Dragonia said:
Hey Lizzie, you're right... everything is just going to *poo* here in Maine and all across NE. I'm from central "touristville" NH on Lake Winnie and I'm younger than you, but the changes that went on between 1986 and 1993 really shook everything up and it's crazy to think back on what it was like in 1985 when I moved there. I love that the out of towners come there for the charm! What charm? The million dollar lake houses built by other out of towners? As for Portland, ENOUGH WITH THE CONDOS!!! Someone has to shut these people down! Don't get me started on VT.

I worry Portland's well on its way to Lost Cause status -- it's only a matter of time before the trendies completely take it over. But there's at least three of us Mainers here in the Lounge now -- and maybe we can form the nucleus of a Bold Underground Resistance Force....

JustJen

Familiar Face
Atomic Glee said:
I'm from Fort Worth, TX - still do live there - and while the outlying parts of Fort Worth are afflicted by typical suburban sprawl, our downtown & surrounding areas are very retro indeed for the most part. We had a bad bout in the '70s where a few classic buildings were knocked down, but these days we're much bigger on preservation. Lots of Golden Age buildings are being reused for residential space in downtown and the surrounding areas. Heck, I live in a 1929 office building - how's that for nifty? :)

I grew up in Fort Worth too (Haltom City but we were always in Northside). Fort Worth is the type of town that although you know crime happens, I've never felt uncomfortable walking around anywhere (strange that I felt that way about NYC too).

Haltom City was a small town when I was growing up but it's hit some economic skids of late. Most of the houses in the city were built between 1940-1965 so you have loads of little wooden framed ranch homes. I think the city really came into it's own around the 1950's. During the time I was growing up (70's- 80's) these houses were usually the second or third upgrade homes for baby boomers. Now, sadly they seem to be a majority of rent homes of which the tenants don't upkeep.

Most heartbreakingly, they got rid of the Dairy Queen and Whataburger long ago. These were our favorite haunts during our open campus lunches (which no longer occur at any of the area high schools that I can find).

Jen

Jack Armstrong

Familiar Face
Dragonia said:
Don't get me started on VT.

Someone's going to have to. Otherwise the Ben'n'Jerrification of this wonderful state is going to turn the whole place into one vast basket outlet.

Talk about condos! My God, the Queechee area is crawling with them! And don't even think of trying to buy land in the Stowe area!

Far too many now-wealthy ex-hippies whose misguided social policies have made sewers of their own states and cities are now moving to Vermont to escape the consequences of their short-sightedness. Bur rather than having learned any lessons, they're starting all over again in Vermont. Between them and the real-estate developers who are ready, willing and eager to sell them overpriced houses, Vermont is slowly rotting from the southern end and proceeding inexorably northward.

The Northeast Kingdom, especially near the Quebec border, is still everything you could ask for. I advise all non-Vermonters who cherish what this magnificent state once was to visit it now, while it's still untainted.

Jack Armstrong said:
Someone's going to have to. Otherwise the Ben'n'Jerrification of this wonderful state is going to turn the whole place into one vast basket outlet.

Talk about condos! My God, the Queechee area is crawling with them! And don't even think of trying to buy land in the Stowe area!

Far too many now-wealthy ex-hippies whose misguided social policies have made sewers of their own states and cities are now moving to Vermont to escape the consequences of their short-sightedness. Bur rather than having learned any lessons, they're starting all over again in Vermont. Between them and the real-estate developers who are ready, willing and eager to sell them overpriced houses, Vermont is slowly rotting from the southern end and proceeding inexorably northward.

The Northeast Kingdom, especially near the Quebec border, is still everything you could ask for. I advise all non-Vermonters who cherish what this magnificent state once was to visit it now, while it's still untainted.

Sounds like what happened to California 65 years ago. My advice: move now while you still have no deep roots. I am stuck. I am not leaving until everyone agrees with me. :D

Regards,

J

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Since we had a mention of Mineral Wells - about 40someodd miles west of Fort Worth, I thought I'd share the photos I took out there the other day.

Mineral Wells - the Town that Time Forgot

197247302_458010543d_b.jpg

Mineral Wells, Texas was, in its heyday, a bustling city frequented by America's famous. Its mineral water springs brought visitors from around the world to drink up, bathe, and otherwise partake of its rumored healing powers. In the '30s and '40s, it was not unusual to see famous actors, singers, band leaders, and comedians walking around town. The town had it all.

Then, Interstate 20 was built. I-20 bypassed Mineral Wells by several miles to the south. Old Highway 80, which ran from Fort Worth through Weatherford and on to downtown Mineral Wells, was no longer the primary means of transit. As traffic moved to I-20, Mineral Wells died. Because people wanted to save a few minutes on their drives, what was once a boom town became a ghost town.

Today, the town's glory days are far behind it. It's now a tiny little village in Palo Pinto County. Most of the activity takes place away from downtown, in the generic suburban strip mall-ed area around the road that takes you to I-20. Driving through downtown Mineral Wells is like taking a trip back in time, as it's virtually unchanged since the 1950s.

So, here we are. At one point, this was a vibrant, active place. Now, the beautiful historic buildings lay in disrepair, many abandoned and the rest filled with antique shops and the occasional local business.

197247569_22b609a597_b.jpg

Sewing machine outlet sign, untouched for who knows how long.

197247622_d9ee0b5290_b.jpg

You can easily see about when Mineral Wells died. Here is a great example: a beautiful old building, given a "modern" ground floor facade in the '50s - right before the town went to sleep. It's been virtually untouched since then.

197247900_8de0eaf5fc_b.jpg

Looking up the street. The large building is the former Crazy Water Hotel, now a retirement home.

197248037_11ea6ccd06_b.jpg

Love that old sign!

197248288_7bac62f653_b.jpg

My Beetle in front of one of the closed-up stores.

197248340_70230e3da5_b.jpg

Some more beautiful little buildings in Mineral Wells - some used, some not.

197248409_ffaf887579_b.jpg

More old stores. The ghostly Baker Hotel looms in the background.

197248455_4570bdac4f_b.jpg

Untouched old building ceiling - building now houses an antique shop, though it was sort of spooky as there appeared to be no employees of any kind.

197248525_2adf0d9bb8_b.jpg

The gorgeous old Post Office.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
197248571_1a3f55cf33_b.jpg

Ahh, yes. The Grand Old Lady herself.

The famed Baker Hotel, a huge 14 story hotel that towers above every other building for 40 miles. Built in 1929, the Baker played host to the rich and famous, as well as the everyday person. One of the most posh and glamorous hotels in the country when it opened, the Baker hosted many celebrities in its 450 rooms. It was thought to be the first in what would surely be a series of grand projects in the town, but unfortunately it was not to be. After decades of success, the Baker finally closed its doors in 1972. It sits empty, slowly being vandalized by young local idiots and being neglected by the town.

It's a slightly creepy place, and the Baker has a lot of ghost stories attached to it, most notably the story of Mr. Baker's mistress (who lived on the 7th floor and committed suicide at the Baker - it's said you can still smell her perfume in the building) and of a young teen who was killed while playing in a service elevator in the basement.

Some of the celebrities who stayed at the Baker in its prime:

Gene Autry
Lucille Ball
Tony Bennett
Pat Boone
George Bush
Marlene Dietrich
Dale Evans
Clark Gable
Judy Garland
John Glenn
Samuel Goldwyn
Jean Harlow
Curley Howard
Moe Howard
Lyndon B. Johnson
Sammy Kaye
Helen Keller
John F. Kennedy
Dorothy Lamour
Carole Lombard
Guy Lombardo
Mary Martin
Audie Murphy
Minnie Pearl
General John J. "Blackjack" Pershing
Sam Rayburn
Martha Raye
Ronald Regan
Tex Ritter
Jimmie Rodgers
Roy Rogers
Will Rogers
Elliot Roosevelt
Ernest Tubb
Sophie Tucker
Lawrence Welk
Paul Whiteman

197248652_90a6e29d18_b.jpg

Hard to see, but beyond this grass is the pool of the Baker. You can see the bridge that connected it to the hotel just to the right of the fence post.

197248747_1d2e7cf3ce_b.jpg

The Baker's grand entrance.

197248921_b69f2c37bd_b.jpg

Details of the entrance.

197249078_8a5789c911_b.jpg

Taken from across the street, near the Baker's old parking garage (out-of-frame to the right). Atop the building, you can see the grand Cloud Room top floor ballroom and the observation tower.

197249159_304819a633_b.jpg

Details of the top floor Cloud Room and observation tower.

197249465_08c822ad54_b.jpg

Some of the abandoned street-level storefronts of the Baker Hotel, below the open-air second floor walkway and the rest of the tower.

197249564_60511fd2ff_b.jpg

More of the abandoned street-level storefronts and second-floor open air walkway.

197249886_c24228d42e_b.jpg

More of the abandoned street-level storefronts and second-floor open air walkway.

It's been said that a complete restoration of the Baker would cost between 30-55 million dollars. Nobody has stepped up with money to bring it back, but at the same time nobody dares to tear it down. It's an odd sight, seeing a huge skyscraper hotel in, quite literally, the middle of nowhere, but it's a potent reminder of a once great city. Besides, Mr. Baker died in his suite at the Baker, and I doubt he'd look too fondly upon his hotel being torn down.

So, anybody have $30-55 million?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Downtown Marion, SC in the evening.

105_0560-vi.jpg

105_0561-vi.jpg

Inside my barber's shop, where I get my hair cut. Opened in 1916, I think.

105_0555-vi.jpg

FedoraGent

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
San-Leandro-Downtown-1923.jpg

Well, it used to. Here is the downtown circa 1923.

SanLeandro1960.jpg

Here it is in 1960 before the big "accidental fire" that burned half the downtown.

The way it looks now is nothing like this. :rage:

Regards,

J

Hey,

I recognize that from my San Leandro research. Both of those are in "A Garden Grows in Eden". I miss San Leandro...

Jon

FedoraGent said:
Hey,

I recognize that from my San Leandro research. Both of those are in "A Garden Grows in Eden". I miss San Leandro...

Jon

Really? Both of those are from postcards of the time. I guess they stole then and put them in a book. :p This was all before their stupid redevelopment ideas. :rage: Remember kiddies, when your downtown looks retro and you want to keep it that way, keep the local government from changing a single thing it always starts with something small. Now thirty years later they want to install a history walk?! If they had left it alone then there would still be history to see. :rage: :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner