Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing Unsanforized Jeans

Benj

One of the Regulars
I'm assuming you were at Standard and strange...another place I'd check out is Self Edge in San Francisco! Denim Mecca for sure.

If the jeans you were trying on were sanforized than "sized to fit" is fine, if they were unsanforized then you would have an issue.

Indigofera is fine, definitely not a rip off. Personally, my favorite brand is the flat head. Specifically, for you, I would check out the 3005. Hem is plenty big enough to get over boots, pretty straight, and not too low of a rise.

Imo, brands like Agustin are a couple steps below the brands you tried on before. They just don't age as well...of course, they are much cheaper!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Ooops, still trying to figure out the technology of forums.

Wanted to say; Hey thanks to Macbeth on advice for "older gents". I think it should be illegal for old geasers to wear skinny low rise jeans.

I have seen quite a few RRL on ebay. One or 2 Unbranded but not in my size, and pretty no gustins. I am starting to understand the sizing stuff, but it is complicated. I think I like 14 oz. The recommended Bravestar at 21 oz. scares me. But, I am trying to expand my horizons, so who knows, maybe I could carry a pair of pliers to button them up (a reference to sloan's post). Have seen no Jack knife jeans yet, but will look.

Great tips!

I am really worried about my obsessive behavior of late. I have already decided what is next. From what I understand, i can no longer wear Western boots, but have to switch to Engineering boots. I forget who said it but maybe I could have my man servant break them in for me. :)

https://standardandstrange.com/collections/footwear/products/s-s-x-wesco-van-cleef-ii-engineer-boot

They had a new pair displayed right next to a broken in pair. Very smart marketing.

Once again, thanks, for all the tips, information, and advice.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'm assuming you were at Standard and strange...another place I'd check out is Self Edge in San Francisco! Denim Mecca for sure.

If the jeans you were trying on were sanforized than "sized to fit" is fine, if they were unsanforized then you would have an issue.

Indigofera is fine, definitely not a rip off. Personally, my favorite brand is the flat head. Specifically, for you, I would check out the 3005. Hem is plenty big enough to get over boots, pretty straight, and not too low of a rise.

Imo, brands like Agustin are a couple steps below the brands you tried on before. They just don't age as well...of course, they are much cheaper!
y

Yeah, it was Standard and Strange. They are only about 10 minutes away from my apartment. Yes they were both sanforized. Its funny I don't get over to The City enough. They guy at S&S recommend some place on Market St. downtown too, can't remember the name. I will look out for some Flat Head 3005. Time to cross the bridge!

Thanks

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Jonesy, if I can pull it off at 74, you should be able to rock them!

And you are right about the boots. What size are you as I have a couple nice 10.5 hanging round.
Got some FRYE ARTISINAL. GREAT QUALITY. Also REDWING.
JUST ORDERED A Nocona Ranger belt and 2 vintage western band neck pullovers from Sheplers. 20% off till midnight.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Jonesy, if I can pull it off at 74, you should be able to rock them!

And you are right about the boots. What size are you as I have a couple nice 10.5 hanging round.
Got some FRYE ARTISINAL. GREAT QUALITY. Also REDWING.
JUST ORDERED A Nocona Ranger belt and 2 vintage western band neck pullovers from Sheplers. 20% off till midnight.
Hey Macbeth. You got a few on me man. Keep rocking it. And, by golly i'm not dead yet. :) I wear a size 12 med. Shoe/Boot. I got some old Frye boots that I've had for 30+ years but they are ropers. I'll check our Sheplers sale. Thanks.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Macbeh
Found a few of these on Ebay:
POLO RALPH LAUREN RRL RAW RIGID SLIM FIT / LOW STRAIGHT CONE SELVEDGE JEANS $275
I am assuming that they are not sanforized since they say Raw. No exact measurements besides the tag, but they say Slim Fit/Low. Hmmm.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I just got into some better jeans
and find they DO look good on older gents if they fit right.
Some brands I've bought that I like are:

BRAVESTAR: the heavy 21oz fit me well.
UNBRANDED: surprisingly cheap but look great in black
GUSTIN: well worth the money. Check eBay for ready made ones.
RALPH LAUREN RRL RAW SELVEDGE: a favorite. Will probably be what I wear most. Has a nice RISE! Rise is important for older dudes. LOW RISE does not work for me except in rare cases.

Check the number: 11-13 inch fine. 10" is iffy. You can find RRL on eBay for just over $100

JACK KNIFE jeans. Found on eBay. Nice back atory and ordered my second pair yesterday. Absolutely the BEST HAND CRAFTED jeans I've seen. Will wear with my cowboy boots

I wear a 36" waist in mall Levi 505s. Do you think a size 36" in the Jack Knife will work? I learned that they are sanforized, so they won't shrink much. They are described as actual waist of 18.33". I saw them on ebay for $68. I guess it's NOS or new old stock. Some kind of scandal about when the company closed. This inventory just showed up 2 years later? Several good comments on ebay about these jeans recently.
If I can figure out how they size them. I will go for it. Heck it's only 68 bucks.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Jonesey,
I wear a 36-37 waist. This is the guy at $68. Check the front pockets out. I like them. You may not. He's got another 3-4 pair left. They are super quality! And the sewing is amazing. I rate them higher than RRL.
I got the higher rise RRL. TRY A BEST OFFER merchant also.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Macbeth
Let me know if you see any decent RRL offers in our size on ebay, looks like we are about the same size. I been looking but didn't find any yet.
Peace.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Must have sold them!! Sorry!
But I liked the Jack Knife SO well I ordered my 3rd pair. These will be collectors items.
Made by the master himself.
Wearing them today and already had compliments from my beautiful barber!
I think I'm now "JEANS FULFILLED!"

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
@jonesy86 Whatever you do, do not visit this site.....
https://www.denimbro.com/forums.html

Got my first pair of fancy pants denim in the mail from ebay today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Size-36-Jac...541185?hash=item283b5b7481:g:J8gAAOSwEW5Zd-YW

I thought they were somehow related to these guys:

https://www.heddels.com/2013/10/introducing-jackknife-outfitters-quality-start-finish/

But they even said that they had switched from bespoke to factory production before they closed down.

Went over to denimbro after I bought the pants and read a long sad tale of woe, re. the collapse of Jack/Knife Outfitters.

https://www.denimbro.com/jack-knife-outfitters_topic78_page1.html

It doesn't really get interesting until page 40 or so. I guess there was a bit of a scandal. Nothing quite as exciting as the Aero saga though.

I know nothing about any of this raw denim selvedge stuff, but the seller seemed upfront about everything, the pants arrived quickly, and they fit ok. Not too skinny, or low cut. Kinda funny pockets though. Still not too sure how to wash these things. Or, maybe you don't wash them. You just turn they inside out and hang them in an open window facing Greensboro North Carolina.

Hope I didn't break any forum rules posting links. I am still not sure how this all works.

IMG_2926.jpeg
IMG_2927.jpeg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Waiting on my Sugar Cane '47s. Spoke with Charles at HPA and he advised I switch my order from up one size to two (may vary from person to person). My advice for new guys such as myself is to contact the people selling them directly. Internet research is a good tool, but if I went just by my own findings I'd have orderd 33s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo