Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washing Unsanforized Jeans

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I know what you mean. I tried to talk Carrie at Thurston into selling me a larger HBD vicenza, but she very politely and wisely talked me out of it. The jacket really fits perfectly, and works very well for my needs. She knows her stuff.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
These are my favorites. All straight legs with around a 12" rise and made large large enough to allow for shrinkage.

Picked up pair of NEW Ralph Lauren RRL DOUBLE RL Selvedge Straight Leg Rigid Raw Denim Jeans 36/34 on ebay. Waist fits a bit loose but ok, and I knew they would be long as I usually wear a 36/32. I wonder if these will shrink much. Can't really tell if they are sanforized, they have something like this at the RRL store in San Francisco called Straight Fit First Wash, which I assume mans that they don't shrink.

Do you think these are unsanforized and will act like STF, or did I do ok and pretty much buy fit to size, accept of the length?

The tags say "For best results wear 90 days without washing". Really, whats the deal with that? Should I bathtub wash these infrequently in cold water only? Man, I thought I had figured this stuff out, but I am still really confused.

Picked up pair of NEW Ralph Lauren RRL DOUBLE RL Selvedge Straight Leg Rigid Raw Denim Jeans 36/34 on ebay. Waist fits a bit loose but ok, and I knew they would be long as I usually wear a 36/32. I wonder if these will shrink much. Can't really tell if they are sanforized, they have something like this at the RRL store in San Francisco called Straight Fit First Wash, which I assume mans that they don't shrink.

Do you think these are unsanforized and will act like STF, or did I do ok and pretty much buy fit to size, accept of the length?

The tags say "For best results wear 90 days without washing". Really, whats the deal with that? Should I bathtub wash these infrequently in cold water only? Man, I thought I had figured this stuff out, but I am still really confused.

Mine are all 34/34 and the actual measurements were closer to 35/36. The first wash I did a bathtub soak in very warm water and air dried. The waist shrank up a bit to where I like it, maybe an inch and lost very little in length, which was perfect as I wear cowboy boots almost exclusively.

As to sanforized or not, I think they are unsanforized but that is based more on my judgement due to the feel of the fabric rather than actual knowledge about the denim.

Ever since the first soak I've machine washed mine every time and air dried with nothing negative I can point out. 90 days before the first wash. Not this cat. With the heat and humidity of the AL summers, I'd have to park them outdoors as she wouldn't let me in the house. I do wash mine with a cup of vinegar in the wash as it seems to help preserve the color a little longer.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Jonesey

I think those RRL are SANFORIZED. so you don't have to worry about shrinkage.

The idea is to wear for about 90 days without washing so that the denim will crease and form to your body. Therefore they will form little lines of white that are called "whiskers "in the front thigh area and "honeycomb " in the back of your knees and so become "personalized" by you. Do NOT crumple up and throw on floor or in machine because it will erase or mess up the pattern.

See: you have now "claimed" these as YOUR jeans.

I'm now looking into Kojima Genes, Samurai, and Sugar Cane.
It's an obsession for sure. You will soon have 20 pair!!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Received the Sugar Cane 1947s today. Went up to a 34 from my usual (vanity sized as I've learned) department store Levi's. If it's of any help I washed them right away in the machine in delicate setting, without soap, with cold water and then let them hang on the line outside to dry. The length feels about 1 inch shorter post-wash which is precisely how I believe they were described. I notice little difference in the feel of the waist but they may have to settle in a little to lose some of their post-wash rigidity. I can safely say that it is very likely that stretching the waist manually will yield success. I notice a littke waist elasticity just by pulling on them, so I'm sure a mechanical device to stretch the waist will work.

Excuse the crappy photos; here they are (mostly) dry. Unfortunately, no turned up cuffs ;) too self conscious for that. Maybe the gf will instill some confidence booster to try that...thanks to Charles at HPA for saving the day w/size.

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

better angle (ass more realistic lol)
IMG_0686.JPG

I guess this is how the cool cats do it..still not there.
IMG_0696.JPG

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You did well with those Sugar Cane '47 jeans. Like you, I have a hard time making myself wear cuffs but think we're swimming against the tide.

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for some 14 oz. or so selvedge jeans with a zipper fly. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Did any of you see the Documentary *Blue Gold*?

I want those 40's era LEVI's with OD green pockets which brings me to ask this: anyone got $20,000 Dollars Lying around they don't want?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'm now looking into Kojima Genes, Samurai, and Sugar Cane.
It's an obsession for sure. You will soon have 20 pair!!

I noticed that Kojima Genes has a crowdfunded pre-order for 13 oz. sedlvedge Natural Idigo with a zipper, December 1917 delivery for $139.00. plus unknown shipping cost from Japan.

I am also looking at LVC 1967 505 Slim-Fit Dry Selvedge Denim Jeans 36x34 free delivery and return $225 from Mr. Porter. I usually wear 36x32 505 in mall jeans. Do these shrink and/or stretch. What do you think about the price.

I like the Tellason Ankara fit and they look like pretty good quality, for the money, but I really want a zipper.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
i really can't get used to cuffing jeans. Fortunately 2 Jacks Denim here in Oakland does chain stitched hems for jeans bought in the shop for $15, and $25 for jeans bought elsewhere. When i have 20 pair of jeans and am ready to go on to another obsession I will take them all in and get them hemmed. They have to be washed though!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
If you're in Oakland, you might want to visit Standard and Strange.
It is a great little shop with lots of Japanese made goodies, and the people working there are very helpful.

Thanks handymike

I was in Standard and Strange last month. Really nice little shop with excellent customer service. Guy named Jin (sp?) was very knowledgeable and patient with a newb like me. He put me in a pair of The Real McCoys lot O04 which were comfy but felt a little low waisted, but not too bad in hindsight. I also had a bit of sticker shock.
Alas no zippered pants to be found.
I have tried on a few other brands, and struggled with buying the right size and quality online. May just go back there and go for it. Starting to understand what you get for your money for the high end jeans.

May just have to get used to the button fly, low rise, washing them in the tub once a year jeans. And dropping a small fortune on what used to be really cheap work cloths.

Soon I can move on to obsessing on engineer boots.

I'm afraid of where this is all heading. I already want to buy a black highwayman, and I still haven't worn my new HBD outside because it's been too hot.

I may end up buying a motorcycle, accept I fell off my bicycle the last time I rode it.

Also you can go visit AB Fits in North Beach...more cuts/brands/styles to try :)
I have to say that my journey has led me back to 505s, although I like my Rising Sun & SJC yardboss jeans too.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Mine are all 34/34 and the actual measurements were closer to 35/36. The first wash I did a bathtub soak in very warm water and air dried. The waist shrank up a bit to where I like it, maybe an inch and lost very little in length, which was perfect as I wear cowboy boots almost exclusively.

As to sanforized or not, I think they are unsanforized but that is based more on my judgement due to the feel of the fabric rather than actual knowledge about the denim.

Ever since the first soak I've machine washed mine every time and air dried with nothing negative I can point out. 90 days before the first wash. Not this cat. With the heat and humidity of the AL summers, I'd have to park them outdoors as she wouldn't let me in the house. I do wash mine with a cup of vinegar in the wash as it seems to help preserve the color a little longer.

The saga of the denim newb/denim head wanna be continues:

My tag size 36"/34" RRLs were actually quite big on me, more like 37"/35". So, I stayed up all night reading up online on how to first soak/wash raw selvedge to figure out what to do. I hot soaked them inside out for 2 hours with vinegar and salt, occasionally pouring boiling water over them from a tea kettle, hung them to dry until slightly damp, then put them on and wore them till they dried so that they would fit me perfectly, because I believe everything that I read online. That resulted in the waist stretching out even more to about 38" with no affect on the length.

I then took them to the laundromat and hot washed them inside out with woolite dark, and then dried them in a hot dryer, which I think is illegal in San Francisco.

They are now a 40" waist and still "35 length.

I am going to try this next:

<div class="reddit-embed" data-embed-media="www.redditmedia.com" data-embed-parent="false" data-embed-live="false" data-embed-uuid="f3b90de2-aa7c-4e89-a10c-ab236f7b7ea6" data-embed-created="2017-09-10T19:45:10.118Z"><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/c...o_permanently_shrink_a_pair_of_jeans/ccv87hn/">Comment</a> from discussion <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/comments/1ost61/best_way_to_permanently_shrink_a_pair_of_jeans/">Best way to permanently shrink a pair of jeans?</a>.</div><script async src="https://www.redditstatic.com/comment-embed.js"></script>

<div class="reddit-embed" data-embed-media="www.redditmedia.com" data-embed-parent="false" data-embed-live="false" data-embed-uuid="f3b90de2-aa7c-4e89-a10c-ab236f7b7ea6" data-embed-created="2017-09-10T19:45:10.118Z"><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/c...o_permanently_shrink_a_pair_of_jeans/ccv87hn/">Comment</a> from discussion <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/comments/1ost61/best_way_to_permanently_shrink_a_pair_of_jeans/">Best way to permanently shrink a pair of jeans?</a>.</div><script async src="https://www.redditstatic.com/comment-embed.js"></script>

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I noticed that Kojima Genes has a crowdfunded pre-order for 13 oz. sedlvedge Natural Idigo with a zipper, December 1917 delivery for $139.00. plus unknown shipping cost from Japan.

I am also looking at LVC 1967 505 Slim-Fit Dry Selvedge Denim Jeans 36x34 free delivery and return $225 from Mr. Porter. I usually wear 36x32 505 in mall jeans. Do these shrink and/or stretch. What do you think about the price.

I like the Tellason Ankara fit and they look like pretty good quality, for the money, but I really want a zipper.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
I don't think Kojima ships overseas directly. It's SF project who is doing the crowd-funding so they can order a lot from Kojima.
RRL pants run large because of vanity sizing often used by trendy brands.
As for LVC, the shrinkage is sort of a "riddle" depending on the batch/season but the 1967 505 is said to be sanforised.
http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/mens-jeans/p/675050098

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If they didn't shrink after hot water soaking and a spin in the drier I would have thought it means they are sanforized right?

The saga of the denim newb/denim head wanna be continues:

Sorry for your dilemma. I feel your pain. Though I've had good fortune with my RRL's, I do wish I'd kept my A$$ over on the hats and cowboy boot threads, rolling along wearing my Wranglers, or Cinch jeans, remaining ignorant of the variety of expensive leather jackets and denim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo